Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Just bought a Helko splitting used it in anger for the first time today made easy work of a weeks worth in just under an hour. The head is made in Germany and the handle in Switzerland from grade A US Hickory

IMG_20170123_010949.jpg

IMG_20170123_011034.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I like the ruggedness of my Gerber hatchet. An axe is a serious investment. Good information, I will keep looking.

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
Picked up a Wetterlings Bushman ax the Les Stroud model after much research into the subject and many hours spent on you tube.

I wanted something small enough it could be carried in or on a pack, big enough it could be used to fell trees if need be but not too big it could not be used for personal defense. I can care less who designed it really but it had all the attributes I was looking for size and weight and price. Have used it a few times this last summer and fondle it a lot.... I find it aesthetically pleasing, and very much like the way it feels in my hands like any tool should! The wood grain is rather straight not perfect but good, the fit and finish is proper, it is sharp as hell, no I didn't cut myself with it. The sheath fits well and will not accidentally come off.

There are those that will say "you spent that one one of those
" My big box stores had nothing with soul so I went on line and started doing research and found some that were interesting like the BasecampX units and the Best Made axes but felt there really wasn't anything special about their axes and for the price. Speaking of price the stuff Gransfors Bruks makes is lovely, very fine craftsmanship but I think you are paying for the name with them. I have a felling ax already along with a couple hatches and a double headed bit that were my grandfathers and are rarely use but I think this Wetterlings ax will be used exclusively in the field.

my 2 cents...

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

When we go out we typically bring a hatchet and Lapland saw. The hatchet that I use is a small Marbles axe, and it is fantastic. It is only about $20 and is a spectacular value. WranglerStar did a video on it a while back and you can see it here. I think there is also a link to where you can buy it for cheap in his video notes.

I also have a Snow and Neally 30" felling axe, but I am really disappointed with it. The heat treatment wasn't done correctly, so I have a nice squiggle on the bottom third of the blade after cutting some red oak. It's a beautiful looking axe, but as a tool, a total failure.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
+ another for the Pulaski. My boyfriend is retired Fire and we're on the VFD, so he equipped all the rigs for tone outs, but we use them almost daily. Multiple uses and comes in handy for snow recovery as well. I thank Ed Pulaski every time I use it, a real hero and legend.

DownNorth

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Iltis Oxhead is the only axe I use and carried extensivly in the northern canadian bush. I have cleated more heli pads then a care to count with them. Easy to sharpen and stay sharp. I prefer the shorter length handles as they are easy to put In a pack.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i have a fiskers chopping axe that lives in my fj. 28"ish. A smaller hatchet comes most of the time too. and a gransfors bruks small forest axe for special occasions. almost bought a gerber, then i noticed the fiskers logo on the handle. $20 more for green instead of orange? i don't think so.

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

I'm looking to get a new hatchet, and eventually an axe. I've looked at Fiskars, and have heard the newer stuff is better. Read the old stuff had some soft metal where the edge wouldn't hold for long at all. Curious as to what you're running and why.
I have a small Gran Bruks hatche and a larger Snow and Nealley axe. For a few $ more the Bruks is a much better blade.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

Picked up a Wetterlings Bushman ax the Les Stroud model after much research into the subject and many hours spent on you tube.

I wanted something small enough it could be carried in or on a pack, big enough it could be used to fell trees if need be but not too big it could not be used for personal defense. I can care less who designed it really but it had all the attributes I was looking for size and weight and price. Have used it a few times this last summer and fondle it a lot.... I find it aesthetically pleasing, and very much like the way it feels in my hands like any tool should! The wood grain is rather straight not perfect but good, the fit and finish is proper, it is sharp as hell, no I didn't cut myself with it. The sheath fits well and will not accidentally come off.

There are those that will say "you spent that one one of those
" My big box stores had nothing with soul so I went on line and started doing research and found some that were interesting like the BasecampX units and the Best Made axes but felt there really wasn't anything special about their axes and for the price. Speaking of price the stuff Gransfors Bruks makes is lovely, very fine craftsmanship but I think you are paying for the name with them. I have a felling ax already along with a couple hatches and a double headed bit that were my grandfathers and are rarely use but I think this Wetterlings ax will be used exclusively in the field.

my 2 cents...
I bought the same axe and love it as well. I camped in late July right after some wet weather and could barely get a fire going with unsplit logs. I purchased it before my next overnight and was very pleased with the wetterlings. Was amazed at the ability of the axe even being so light. As a chef and geeking out over Rockwell hardness in my knives I was sold on the 58 Rockwell hardness of the axe knowing it would hold an edge for a long time. The size of the axe was strong selling point for myself. It's an investment.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: jerdog53

LR4ME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
Member #

I second this.

Or get a good used one from at least the 1960's clean it up sharpen it then re-hang the head on a new handle and you will have a good ax that holds an edge. Better Steel back in the day. I have 3 Collins axes that are a min 60 years old. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, too. I have a GB Wildlife Hatchet that is superior to every other axe or hatchet I've owned. Superior in that it's well balanced, it came sharp and holds an edge, plus the grain was perfectly aligned.

Reactions: STPICKENS

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
6B8075B5-299D-42AA-9AD0-FD5577290C68.JPG IMG_7922.JPG IMG_7924.JPG Hults are awesome but for me it's hard to beat Stihl axes and hatchets. I use a Pro forestry axe and the pics are the pro splitting hatchet. I re profiled, refinished the handle, and aged the head. It's my favorite!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Get a Gransfors Bruks and it will be the only axe your great grandson will ever use...they are tanks and hold an edge like no other.

Reactions: DesertFox

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Personally I buy the Home Depot 2.5lb standard axe then cut the handle to fit my gear box.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Yeah, this right here. Basic home depot axe can be sharpened with a mill file and just kills it. And if I destroy it, well, another ten to fifteen will get me another one.

Reactions: 1derer

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

+ another for the Pulaski. My boyfriend is retired Fire and we're on the VFD, so he equipped all the rigs for tone outs, but we use them almost daily. Multiple uses and comes in handy for snow recovery as well. I thank Ed Pulaski every time I use it, a real hero and legend.
Retired firefighter of 35 years, Pulaski all the way. Also , Chief Crew Leader for trails in the GP and MSHNM, Washington for 10 years.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have a 40 year old Craftsman axe. It was way too soft. I edge hardened it with a torch and a bucket of oil back then and now it is hard as hell. You can't sharpen it with a file, you have to use a whetstone. 90% of how well an axe cuts has nothing to do with hard/soft. It has to do with knowing how to put the right edge shape on it. Hardness has to do with how long it will hold that edge.

Reactions: khorsa and WTAGP