Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I'll have my new cvt 79" awning installed this weekend and then I can install the rtt and give it a try out the following weekend on the ghost town tour.
If it works out well, I may buy the wall kit for it too for an extra sleeping space, enclosed room.
Just received the annex room for the rtt too.
Lots of new goodies to try out next week.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Has anyone found any downsides to running an awning
I don't know that I'd call it a downside, but having it on my otherwise pedestrian Subaru Outback here in Ohio, I sure get a lot of weird looks. Some ask what it is, most don't. Sometimes Deb gets tired of waiting while I demonstrate it for random strangers. :)

I have noticed that the bottom of the bag has a little mildew stain. Once it warms up, I'll scrub that off with some bathroom cleaner. I purchased a side curtain for when the sun is low, but haven't tried it yet.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

To be honest I just googled it to find a pic. I'm assuming that the left 2 are the females and the right two are the males. The target looking thing on the top of them would be where the key would be inserted.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hate to hi-jack, but I read all the posts with great interest until the lock talk. Wow, if you guys live in an area where you're having to be concerned about somebody actually stealing an awning from your vehicle, you must live in a really really rough neighborhood. 99% of all vehicle equipment thefts are grab and run. I 'd bet a pension check that a thief would smash your window to grab something visible and not even consider an 8 foot long bag that's bolted down up high.
As for me? My personal debate has boiled down to either the Frontrunner Easy-Out 2.5m, or the Foxwing. $300 versus $700... I'm really liking the Foxwing admittedly because of the "cool" factor, and ease of deployment. The Frontrunner is high quality and straight forward... If any of you have either of these I'd love you to pipe up, and get this thread back on track..

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
BTW, i did order a Smittybilt 8.2 x 6.5 awning a few days ago!!
Please keep all of us posted up on that purchase. The frontrunner awning is renowned for world class quality and real world tested equipment, ( ie, Africa. ) and for only 70 more dollars... I'm hoping for your sake that the SB product does not live up to it's name. Good Luck..

r_vdb

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA
Member #

For anyone interested, I have had the Frontrunner awning for roughly 3 years & use it quite often. It's simple & constructed well. Side note; It's easier to deploy with 2 people.

@adventurevan5

Novax326

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Long Beach, California, United States
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Hate to hi-jack, but I read all the posts with great interest until the lock talk. Wow, if you guys live in an area where you're having to be concerned about somebody actually stealing an awning from your vehicle, you must live in a really really rough neighborhood. 99% of all vehicle equipment thefts are grab and run. I 'd bet a pension check that a thief would smash your window to grab something visible and not even consider an 8 foot long bag that's bolted down up high.
As for me? My personal debate has boiled down to either the Frontrunner Easy-Out 2.5m, or the Foxwing. $300 versus $700... I'm really liking the Foxwing admittedly because of the "cool" factor, and ease of deployment. The Frontrunner is high quality and straight forward... If any of you have either of these I'd love you to pipe up, and get this thread back on track..
You would be surprised about what walks off. Such as tires and rims, lights,axes, shovels, and even entire trailers...both in the city and while camping... sadly it does happen

Sent from my SM-G930T using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: britz

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I purchased the ARB 2000 for the FJ and looking forward to using on the upcoming trip to overland expo west. The one thing that was troubling me was the available mount choices (OEM rack). So I found this http://fourtreks.com/modular_awning_mounts.html
They are amazing quality and work great based on reviews. The only issue was price at first, but that being said i'm glad I did.
Check them out they have quite an assortment....

Reactions: Novax326

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For anyone interested, I have had the Frontrunner awning for roughly 3 years & use it quite often. It's simple & constructed well. Side note; It's easier to deploy with 2 people.

@adventurevan5
Thanks,, I'm leaning toward the FR for the reasons you stated, "simple & constucted well" I think I'll order one tonight.. I've got 1 k to spend, and also need a new portable compressor and a new pocket camera to back up my dslr.. So I'll get a little better compressor and a little better camera than first imagined..

Reactions: r_vdb and Novax326

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Please keep all of us posted up on that purchase. The frontrunner awning is renowned for world class quality and real world tested equipment, ( ie, Africa. ) and for only 70 more dollars... I'm hoping for your sake that the SB product does not live up to it's name. Good Luck..

Well the seller cancelled the sale due to the product being damaged. I ordered an Awning built by Tuff Stuff instead, we will see how it works.

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
Hey all, I'm new here, first time poster, but I saw this awesome thread and wanted to provide some input. I have a 06 Toyota 4Runner that is my camping/road trip vehicle, which now I am convinced is my Overland rig.

Anyhow I purchased the ARB 2500 awning and have to agree it is well worth the $250~ I paid for it. Very solidly built, the housing when packed away is very sturdy and durable. I had the chance to use my awning this past weekend (5/6/16-5/9/16) in Joshua Tree and it worked wonderfully. Here are some pictures. Please excuse the mounting method, I will be cleaning that up as it was a last minute mounting job so I could use the awning.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Hey Rooney welcome to the forum. That looks sweet to get that shade going. I have the ARB 2000 as it fit's the FJ much better.
The 2500 fits the 4R nice. I am using these mounts http://fourtreks.com/
They are well made out of billet alum, a little pricey but I like the quality. Great pics out there over landing!!!!!!

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
Hey Rooney welcome to the forum. That looks sweet to get that shade going. I have the ARB 2000 as it fit's the FJ much better.
The 2500 fits the 4R nice. I am using these mounts http://fourtreks.com/
They are well made out of billet alum, a little pricey but I like the quality. Great pics out there over landing!!!!!!
Thank you kindly! Yeah i just rigged up that mount fast because i was super excited to get using the awning. I am going to make it look much nicer and post new pictures. Thank you again!