• HTML tutorial

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
We use a Snow Peak Hexa awning in camp for protection for the sun and rain.

I intend to do a Fox wing shortly that will mate up to the OZ tent we have.
That looks just awesome! I love that shelter. Where abouts is this? The landscape looks beautiful.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

Update on the Foxwing/RV5T setup.

Got out this past weekend. For some windy(ish), chilly and mid-may snowy camping and exploring. Winds were gusting at 55kph nothing serious but enough to justify using every gywire and breaking out the wind barrier. Everything preformed flawlessly, tent barley even shook throughout the night.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Many moons ago, Thule had a "Professional" line of racks and accessories - and nestled within that offering was an awning. The son of a gun was massive in size, came in at over 80lbs and was way too expensive to compete in the market; so it never really did. I used it and loved it, but like anything - once it started to crap out: it went fast and hard. After a brief hiatus, I ended up with the Rhino Foxwing which is lighter, easier to deploy and store, and covers more area - for a fraction of the price.

Awnings for life!

Reactions: Novax326 and murps

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Hey, I have a question for those that already have awnings... I'm planning to order a simple ARB or CVT awning soon. Just a roll-up style, no fancy fox-wing folding batman capes... But I'd like to get some LED strip lights and sew them in to the underside of the awning to have a built-in lighting solution. Do these awnings roll up too tightly to accommodate that, or do you think it would work?

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Hey, I have a question for those that already have awnings... I'm planning to order a simple ARB or CVT awning soon. Just a roll-up style, no fancy fox-wing folding batman capes... But I'd like to get some LED strip lights and sew them in to the underside of the awning to have a built-in lighting solution. Do these awnings roll up too tightly to accommodate that, or do you think it would work?
If you installed them parallel to the way it is rolled up you would be fine. Generally when you see lights installed DIY it is at the mount side and/or the edge furthest from the truck just to simplify the install and wiring.

jesse178

Rank 0

Contributor I

I bit the bullet and bought a foxwing. I've used it several times and am very happy. It is worth every penny and I never looked back! I'm going to order the floor saver and a zipper wall then next is a tag along tent...

I actually bought two awnings (one for a friend) who never came up with the money. So I have one for sale if anyone is interested. $450

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I'm interested in the awning! It to is a Foxwing correct for the left hand side of the truck?

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

hey guys,

I'm still unsure if there is a better product around, in terms of value for money. and if anyone here has positive experiences:

- the ARB 2500 awning and the room with floor

there are others around in about the same price range, but none with a room with a floor available, right? at least I couldn't find one.

for our mode of living while overlanding, an awning room with floor is essential, as we'll be sleeping in the rig, and the room will host cases, chairs, table, etc.

thanks,
christian

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

hey guys,

I'm still unsure if there is a better product around, in terms of value for money. and if anyone here has positive experiences:

- the ARB 2500 awning and the room with floor

there are others around in about the same price range, but none with a room with a floor available, right? at least I couldn't find one.

for our mode of living while overlanding, an awning room with floor is essential, as we'll be sleeping in the rig, and the room will host cases, chairs, table, etc.

thanks,
christian
I'm very happy with the awning. Don't have the room just yet but that is next on the list for me.

Reactions: Christian

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I've had my ARB 2000 for nearly 6 months. Just recently used it in Joshua Tree when we weren't able to find a lunch site (busy weekend), we simply pulled over off one of the trails, deployed the awning, opened up the table and a couple of chairs and we were good. It wasn't scorching but pretty warm in JT this weekend so the awning was a must-have. Just ordered the 3-wall set yesterday to help with the coverage.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

First a disclaimer - I worked for TJM USA for a couple years and so I went with a TJM 2.5 meter awning on the right side of the truck. First bought it for shade at the track and auto-x events, got tried of easy up blowing away. The TJM and ARB awnings are close in design and most likely work the same. I love the TJM awning as I have had it deployed at the track on asphalt and out boondocking in the dessert in 40 mph winds with no issues. We left it deployed all week end during Overland Expo 2016 Mormon Lake in fact.

I really like the quality of most of the Australasian products I have reviewed - TJM has a long process of testing and proving products before releasing them for sell. And if they get it wrong they go back and do it over till it is correct.

Four months ago we purchased an ALu-Cab Left hand side Shadow awning with walls and used both this past May at Overland. We love the Shadow the walls need re-thinking by Alu-Cab, we sleep in our fiberglass shell at night.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have never needed anything but a $10 tarp so do these expensive tarp thingys keep you dryer or just make you look cooler an inquiring mind wants to know?
We used tarps for years quite effectively, and finally broke down and got ourselves a Frontrunner awning. For us, it is used for two things, primarily, shade in the desert ( tough to set up a tarp without any trees ), However, this past week we did pull it out over top of our "kitchen in a trailer" to stay dry while cooking during some downpours. Do they look cool? I suppose so. Hadn't really thought about that. Do they work really well? Absolutely, for less than $300 we will never ever shred another tarp because of high winds or torrential downpours.

Attachments

Last edited: