Awnings

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Smittybuilt. I've heard good things about the ARB awnings though.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have never needed anything but a $10 tarp so do these expensive tarp thingys keep you dryer or just make you look cooler an inquiring mind wants to know?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have the 2500 ARB awning on my Outback, and love it! It is 8' 2" X 8' 2". If you have room and the extra cash, I'd go with at least the 2000 model. Four feet wide is barely room to sit two chairs under, and wouldn't be much protection from wind-driven rain.

I bought mine from Alpha Expedition. At the time earlier this spring, they had the best price and free shipping. http://www.alphaexpedition.com/arb-awning-2500-x-2500/

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Jordan,

ARB is great, but as most of those things, very expensive. And, but that is my very personal opinion, they make your car look "different".
So we did this

Not as nice as the ARB, with a bit more work, about 2 minutes. But, total cost under 120€ an ARB one cost in the UK about 350 pounds. So, around 380 €.
So, doing it yourself, is much cheaper and its fun. And you did it yourself.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I though about going the DIY route, but honestly I don't have time. And it is so convenient to just pull it out from the side of the rack. @Steve awesome! What are the measurements (length is all i care about) of yours when it is rolled up? If you don't mind me asking.

I am leaning towards the ARB ones, that Smittybuilt price was a little better, but there is probably a reason for that.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@jordanbrooks Take a look at my build thread HERE, particularly page 5, which shows the FourTreks modular awing mounts. You'll also note on the first page that I have two separate roof mount setups; one for the basket, LED bar and awning, and another for two bike racks, two kayak racks, and the awning. That second configuration uses an entirely different mount, sandwiched between my crossbars and bike rack.

Also note that the ARB awning comes with fasteners, but no mounting brackets. Overall length of the ARB 2500 with cover is 8' 9"

CLICK HERE for a link to my gallery of photos of the awning.

I hope that helps,
Steve

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We fooled around with he tarps and such for years, and I still always carry one for whatever might pop up, but you can't beat the ARB awning. The convenience, and structure is perfect. It costs a few dollars, but you can build your own bumper too and save a buck, but most folks agree that ARB has that figured out better.

Offroad Touring

Rank III

Advocate II

I have two ARB awnings fitted to my Nissan Patrol. The side one has been on there since 2009 and the rear since 2012. I can't fault them for quality.

One if the most important aspects of a good awning is the quality of the storage bag. That's what does sit out in the elements. I use a silicone spray on the zip to keep it working smoothly, mostly because of the Outback dust.

When I was installing it I made up this template which made life easier.

The Nylock nuts help hold it all in place.

The side windbreak wall is easy to fit and extends the amount of usable room.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

A tarp, poles and para cord is what I use. Compact and cheap
Same here except added a 7' long 6" dia. PVC pipe attached to the side and just below my roof rack to store the tarp and poles in...the tarp snaps onto the PVC...$56.00 and 2 hours to attach and add the snaps... and "Tah-Dah"!!! A 7'x7' dry or shaded area... it goes up in 7-8 mins. and down even quicker!

Reactions: dziner

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I have two ARB awnings fitted to my Nissan Patrol. The side one has been on there since 2009 and the rear since 2012. I can't fault them for quality.

One if the most important aspects of a good awning is the quality of the storage bag. That's what does sit out in the elements. I use a silicone spray on the zip to keep it working smoothly, mostly because of the Outback dust.

When I was installing it I made up this template which made life easier.

The Nylock nuts help hold it all in place.

The side windbreak wall is easy to fit and extends the amount of usable room.

Nissan Patrol...Awesome...thumbs up!

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

Same here except added a 7' long 6" dia. PVC pipe attached to the side and just below my roof rack to store the tarp and poles in...the tarp snaps onto the PVC...$56.00 and 2 hours to attach and add the snaps... and "Tah-Dah"!!! A 7'x7' dry or shaded area... it goes up in 7-8 mins. and down even quicker!
I did the same thing. One of the first mods on my FJ.

Reactions: Novax326 and Tim