Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Here is a couple very good videos about the features in the tiers, tutorials as well, worth a watch.....

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Looks like a good start. The mapping feature is pretty light on content, let us click on a trail and add a review or details would really help fill that out. Also, let me click on a trail and save it to my list of trails I have run. Everyone likes to build their "trails run" list up and I do so many I end up forgetting which ones I have already done.
Not sure what content is lite in mapping? What is missing?

You can save a recorded track as private (or public). Also you can share or send it via email or msg, you can use it in other software also.

You can do reviews I am pretty sure.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I'm currently on a free 6 month of OnX premium that came with the Jeep, but as it finishes have been debating on trying to go full with OB1, stick with OnX for a bit, or give Gaia a whirl. I'm at least hoping to incorporate OB1 into the trips, but judging by the stuff may still need the other to supplement for now.
OB1 is updated about every 2 weeks and is very responsive to community feedback. I think if you try it, you might be surprised.

Jim

speedkills

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Auburn, California, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Delmore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YND
When referring to lite content, I mean literally far less reviews show on my map than compared to say trailsoffroad. MVUM maps appear to be second class citizen somehow, I can't see how to even select them, when I click on them they act like background, not trails I can select, review, add details on, etc.

I can do nothing with these trails shown here, if you allowed people to select them, save that they ran them, add reviews, descriptions, names, things like that I think you could use the community to help build up better map content.

Reactions: Michael

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
When referring to lite content, I mean literally far less reviews show on my map than compared to say trailsoffroad. MVUM maps appear to be second class citizen somehow, I can't see how to even select them, when I click on them they act like background, not trails I can select, review, add details on, etc.
I can do nothing with these trails shown here, if you allowed people to select them, save that they ran them, add reviews, descriptions, names, things like that I think you could use the community to help build up better map content.
Appreciate you explaining for me....
Reviews are not popular but some are being done, the community provides reviews.

MVUM are exactly as the paper MVUM, you can zoom in/out and once on them OB1 will "follow" you on the map/trail.
Does any software have MVUM selectable, reviewable? I do not recall seeing that on any platform, maybe wrong....

You can record any trail your on, name it, add info, save it, export it this includes MVUM.

SO basically your issues seem to be with the MVUM, I will ask if they will be selectable in the future for you.

Jim

Reactions: speedkills

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looks like a good start. The mapping feature is pretty light on content, let us click on a trail and add a review or details would really help fill that out. Also, let me click on a trail and save it to my list of trails I have run. Everyone likes to build their "trails run" list up and I do so many I end up forgetting which ones I have already done.
This needs to go into “Expedition Tier Suggestions and Feedback” You are doing everything correctly and this thread is for tutorials and help within the app.

I under what you are saying about MVUM data being selectable. All other mapping software that I have tried allows to select MVUM roads, however OB1 doesn’t allow selecting any roads at this time. It’s being worked on though.

Saving Tracks to run:

Open OB1 app and select the trail you wish to run

31414352-3579-4B52-8260-14F8C5E29509.jpeg

In the pop up menus select “Save”

1833041B-9082-4187-9CE0-DD2FFCFA0F11.jpeg

To view Saved tracks:
Select Filters and deselect ALL except Off-road Trailhead With GPX and click Apply
54029AC1-C36B-4D5E-A70E-1E97F25C3AE5.png

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
To Review a Track or POI:

Open OB1
Select the item you wish to review
DE47440F-C443-40B8-9F50-6264CDF97EEF.png

Swipe Up on the pop up menu to see the whole card

CE78C714-2C42-4DFA-8525-731C2276C666.jpeg

Then fill out your review and save.

9B7F718A-FE9A-4876-A1E2-B1E3675431B3.png

Your “Review” will be set in cue for a moderator to approve to help weed out spam. Once a moderator approves the review, the review will go public for everyone to view.

Reactions: danbrown

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Saved temporary Pin turn into a "Location". This great if you saved pins on a trip and at home or whenever you can turn them into locations on the map.

Follow these few steps:

In the app, you long press a spot on the map and a Temp Pin is made (black Dot) at the bottom of the pins window that pops up, select save.

1.jpg

Once saved press on the gps coordinates, they will be copied to the clipboard.

2.jpg

Press anyplace on map to close temp pin popup, then press large "+" on bottom right of map to add a location, fill in all the info, the coordinates will already be inserted. Click save at end then a window will pop u saying location uploaded. You can go back and tap on the temp pin if you want and remove it by selecting remove at bottom of pins window.

3.png4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: danbrown

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
2D Map, 3D Map, Zoom

Today we are going to talk a little bit about some of the map features that might not be apparent at first glance. To start with 2D Map. This map looks like a regular topographic paper map. You can zoom in and out on the map by pinching/spreading your fingers across the screen from middle to the side edge and back to the middle .

Zoom
BFCAAB55-06A8-4092-98B0-468B7A9BFF52.jpeg

3D Map looks like a Relief Map. To Toggle between 2D and 3D views, place two fingers parallel to each other on your screen and swipe up for 3D and down to return to 2D

A553C186-9AA4-47B8-AA6D-7ECA34DC168E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michael and Jim SoG

zann68

Rank III

Pathfinder II

New Brockton, Coffee County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

I just did the Arkansas TAT. I got the GPX files for several of the sections of the TAT and added to my account. I followed the question about the trails and they now will show on my app. The thing I dont understand when I try to start the trail the app send me to another app like Google or WAZE. I just ended up using GAIA. I do have Expidition. I am not sure if I am doing something correctly. any help

Thanks

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just did the Arkansas TAT. I got the GPX files for several of the sections of the TAT and added to my account. I followed the question about the trails and they now will show on my app. The thing I dont understand when I try to start the trail the app send me to another app like Google or WAZE. I just ended up using GAIA. I do have Expidition. I am not sure if I am doing something correctly. any help

Thanks
This is not how it’s supposed to work, your issue is under review.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Thank you! this is really good feedback. We have a ticket (spec) written for this but it is not done yet. The feature includes summary cards and details similar to other POI fairly close to what you are asking. I will add this to the near-term roadmap - you pushed it over the edge. We know its needed, but hearing the need from the community is +++

For reference, here is the feature in the roadmap: Community Feature Priority for Overland Bound One

In addition, we will be adding:
- Search by trail number
- MVUM track "tapping"

Thank you!

M

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Thanks
Hi Jeff!

The 3rd Party app (Waze etc.) is for getting you to the trailhead using turn-by-turn street navigation. Though we will have street nav within the app in the future, currently we do not.

Once you are at the trailhead (the start of your GPX track) you use the navigation mode buttons to follow the track:

1648503468436.png

This button will put you in track follow mode (called bearing follow mode) and will follow your vehicle along the track.

To see the GPX on the map, save it and it will show 100% of the time.

1648503570148.png

Glad to have any feedback, or to offer further assistance if I missed the question.

Thank you!

M

Reactions: El-Dracho

zann68

Rank III

Pathfinder II

New Brockton, Coffee County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Hi Jeff!

The 3rd Party app (Waze etc.) is for getting you to the trailhead using turn-by-turn street navigation. Though we will have street nav within the app in the future, currently we do not.

Once you are at the trailhead (the start of your GPX track) you use the navigation mode buttons to follow the track:

View attachment 226679

This button will put you in track follow mode (called bearing follow mode) and will follow your vehicle along the track.

To see the GPX on the map, save it and it will show 100% of the time.

View attachment 226680

Glad to have any feedback, or to offer further assistance if I missed the question.

Thank you!

M
Ok, thanks I will make sure I will do that.

Reactions: Michael

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

are there downloadable instructions one can get for all this? I guess I'm just an old guy because even if the videos are out they just move faster than I learn. and the forums are great but when I'm on a trail or out for the weekend I can't pull up the forum to answer a question about a button or a how to and its frustrating to just click buttons until the map is a mess and I'm pissed.