First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yes there is an Overland Bound app!
There is a gathering amount of information on the OB1 app in this thread. We are hoping you will not create another thread about OB1. If you ask your question here someone or a couple people will answer. Several folks will probably chime in. Keeping all of this info in one thread actually makes it easier for new people to learn.

There is an iOS and Android version in their respective stores.

The Dev team puts out improvements (Mostly what we users ask for) like every couple weeks, awesome!

THANKS!

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
The app has many trails and more added each week, trails from others and official NF roads, MVUM and you can add your own.

This is not zoomed in very much, zooming gets even more details.....1a.jpg1.jpg1a.jpg

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Select/Deselect the items you want in your view, simple to turn on or off, again for the view you desire, Here is a list (2 shots, all would not fit in 1 shot).
4.jpg5.jpg

Reactions: Shahn

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

Swanton, Franklin County, Vermont, United States
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

Hey All,

I’m thinking of bailing on Gaia Maps and purchasing the Expedition upgrade.

Is it worth doing so, is the Expedition upgrade the same as Gaia??

If so, then it’s worth for me to swap, I’d really like to support this community!

Thoughts anyone??

Reactions: Coreymol

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey All,

I’m thinking of bailing on Gaia Maps and purchasing the Expedition upgrade.

Is it worth doing so, is the Expedition upgrade the same as Gaia??

If so, then it’s worth for me to swap, I’d really like to support this community!

Thoughts anyone??
No the expedition tier is not GAIA. You still need another mapping source to create GPX files to load into OB1 at this time. Although being able to plan a new route in OB1 will be a feature, it just isn’t here yet.

Right now I would hold off on dumping GAIA, unless you want to check out other services like Cal-Topo, Onx, or other avenues of map planning.

Reactions: Coreymol and Burly

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
No the expedition tier is not GAIA. You still need another mapping source to create GPX files to load into OB1 at this time. Although being able to plan a new route in OB1 will be a feature, it just isn’t here yet.

Right now I would hold off on dumping GAIA, unless you want to check out other services like Cal-Topo, Onx, or other avenues of map planning.
You can record gpx in Expedition:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yes you can record a track, but you can’t create a track… two different things. You create a track to fallow, before you go and record the track
Ah yes, my brain did not read that correctly........ But you can import a gpx as well.

Last edited:

speedkills

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Auburn, California, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Delmore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YND
Looks like a good start. The mapping feature is pretty light on content, let us click on a trail and add a review or details would really help fill that out. Also, let me click on a trail and save it to my list of trails I have run. Everyone likes to build their "trails run" list up and I do so many I end up forgetting which ones I have already done.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I'm currently on a free 6 month of OnX premium that came with the Jeep, but as it finishes have been debating on trying to go full with OB1, stick with OnX for a bit, or give Gaia a whirl. I'm at least hoping to incorporate OB1 into the trips, but judging by the stuff may still need the other to supplement for now.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I'm currently on a free 6 month of OnX premium that came with the Jeep, but as it finishes have been debating on trying to go full with OB1, stick with OnX for a bit, or give Gaia a whirl. I'm at least hoping to incorporate OB1 into the trips, but judging by the stuff may still need the other to supplement for now.
I have all of them and use them all regularly. Everyone has its strengths and weaknesses. OB1 likely wont have the ability, even in the future, to show hunt zones, private/public land and some of the other filters. Gaia already has a ton of trails and other items setup on it that are great and easy to use, OB1 will get there but not quite at the Gaia level with user input information yet. OB1 is not just map. but a forum with a lot of great people, a lot more knowledgeable than I could hope to be, and a ton of info already put up here. All of them have a free option, so test everything out, see what you like with each and see if you find it worth paying. Gaia tends to go on sale during most major holidays, OnX sometimes goes on sale when hunting season gets close which may help the descision.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I did just think of another question. Looking at the Tiers, am I correct in guessing that the Adventure tier is included with the Overland Bound membership? I.e. do I already have the Adventure tier features, or is that another fee on top of the membership?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I did just think of another question. Looking at the Tiers, am I correct in guessing that the Adventure tier is included with the Overland Bound membership? I.e. do I already have the Adventure tier features, or is that another fee on top of the membership?
You have the Adventure Tier

Reactions: Moebius01