US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I looked back through months of messages. Quien sabe.
What messages are you referring to? Sorry, I might have misunderstood.

But GaiaGPS published a blog post about it. Also it was called out on the release notes (at least on iOS).

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What messages are you referring to? Sorry, I might have misunderstood.

But GaiaGPS published a blog post about it. Also it was called out on the release notes (at least on iOS).
I get an email every week or two from Gaia with news and updates.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Just wondering if folks have been using the new Overland Layer in Gaia GPS yet? I along with another fine gentleman helped with the design. I find it most useful if you use this layer along with the USFS Roads and Trails hidden underneath. Then you can get all of the trail/track data when you tap on a trail.

The overland layer definitely simplifies things. Gives a better contrast of color along with the most popular data we tend to use.

Check out the full details here:

View attachment 231784
View attachment 231785
Very cool, I'll be updating my devices and exploring it on the website.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

GAIA FAQs -
Q - If I own an iPad do I need an external GPS?
A - If you own a wifi only iPad you will need to add a external Bluetooth GPS to it. There are many brands. Bad Elf, Garmin Glo, Dual GPS to name a few. You can also connect your Garmin InReach to your iPad and use it as the GPS.

No you can’t. I’m trying it literally right this seconds and for the past week and you can pair an inreach to an iPad via Bluetooth but the iPad doesn’t get any GPS information to use in Gaia.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
GAIA FAQs -
Q - If I own an iPad do I need an external GPS?
A - If you own a wifi only iPad you will need to add a external Bluetooth GPS to it. There are many brands. Bad Elf, Garmin Glo, Dual GPS to name a few. You can also connect your Garmin InReach to your iPad and use it as the GPS.

No you can’t. I’m trying it literally right this seconds and for the past week and you can pair an inreach to an iPad via Bluetooth but the iPad doesn’t get any GPS information to use in Gaia.
While I am sure you are having an issue you can’t say the FAQ is wrong. Thousands of people use a setup similar to yours without issue.

You might also try an app like this to see what it says, ‎GPS Diagnostic: Satellite Test

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This clearly does work for most; I saw it working on the trail this weekend (for hours on end).

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
While I am sure you are having an issue you can’t say the FAQ is wrong. Thousands of people use a setup similar to yours without issue.

You might also try an app like this to see what it says, ‎GPS Diagnostic: Satellite Test
This is not a Gaia issue as he could not get other products working...

Last edited:

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I have GAIA on an Android (Samsung Tab 10) and the compass tool bar keeps showing I am facing south. I also noticed the the map orientation changes if I change the device from an upright position to a horizontal position and vice a versa. Any Ideas? Thanks,

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have GAIA on an Android (Samsung Tab 10) and the compass tool bar keeps showing I am facing south. I also noticed the the map orientation changes if I change the device from an upright position to a horizontal position and vice a versa. Any Ideas? Thanks,
You might try re-calibrating your device's compass / heading sensor. Maybe give your reproduce case a try away from metal, power lines, magnets, etc. as they could potentially interfere. Does this also happen while moving with the GPS active?
Cheap heading sensors, the type found in tablest/phones, have poor accuracy and can be adversely affected by their surroundings (metal, power lines, magnets, etc.). If it works ok during movement with the GPS active that means that Android is taking heading cues from GPS data and this is likely the best that you will be able to do given the "disadvantages" of cheap heading sensors.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
You might try re-calibrating your device's compass / heading sensor. Maybe give your reproduce case a try away from metal, power lines, magnets, etc. as they could potentially interfere. Does this also happen while moving with the GPS active?
Cheap heading sensors, the type found in tablest/phones, have poor accuracy and can be adversely affected by their surroundings (metal, power lines, magnets, etc.). If it works ok during movement with the GPS active that means that Android is taking heading cues from GPS data and this is likely the best that you will be able to do given the "disadvantages" of cheap heading sensors.
Thanks for the reply. I actually have the Tab A7 10.4". After looking through the manual I cannot find anything on the heading sensor. The GAIA map works as it should (in an upright position) in my truck, but the GAIA compass bar reading doesn't. I think this might be a GAIA issue on Androids.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Reactions: Ubiety

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Is anyone else really struggling with the quality of Gaia apps (web & iOS for me) since Outside Online bought them? Everything about this app seems to have gone down hill. They used to have amazing support staff but they've all gone radio silent on the Gaia reddit forum. There's some pretty major defects that are going unfixed. Their rate of new features used to be really high. Now? Almost nothing. A new map now and again but that's it. I've invested so much time and energy building out all of my waypoints and routes. I really want this product to succeed but it feels more and more like it's being abandoned by its parent company.