Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm making the move to Gaia and found out my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1. is not Gaia compatible

Will a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Wi-Fi Tablet 128GB work ? Costco has them at a good price 0f $219.00

Thanks

I'm in the same boat with my TAB 3, it was acting really strange crashing at random. Deleted GAIA went back to reload it and Google Play so joy your tablet isn't good enough lol.

Can't really swing Samsung money right now so exploring no name tablet options right now. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm browsing around on Amazon right now.

@Brett L. mine has a red stop sign there with red text and no option to download it.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
I have a question for Gaia users, when on the road, which map styles are your favorite? Thanks.
For me, when off-roading in the National Forests I go with MVUM, NatGeo Trails Illustrated, USFS Roads and Trails, and depending on the season the Snow Depth Map. I’ve found it is a nice mix for exploring. I would be interested in hearing what others use, great question!

Reactions: Traxx and gDanCO

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

For me, when off-roading in the National Forests I go with MVUM, NatGeo Trails Illustrated, USFS Roads and Trails, and depending on the season the Snow Depth Map. I’ve found it is a nice mix for exploring. I would be interested in hearing what others use, great question!
1590160276190.png

Last edited:

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I only use GAIA for off-road use and use my Pioneer head unit for on-road navigation. I currently use Gaia Topo, Public Land (US), Private Land (US), MVUM (USFS), and USFS Roads and Trails. Map layering is one of the greatest features for us off-roaders/explorers.

ewacky

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Trejo
Member #

I have a question for Gaia users, when on the road, which map styles are your favorite? Thanks.
My Base Layer is between the USF 2016 or the Public Lands (US). Then I layer it with MVUM (USFS) at 75%. Also Add the USFS Visitor which I toggle on and off. Also important to me is to add the Private Lands (US) maps. I toggle that one on and off.

Reactions: gDanCO

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Scooped one of these up to replace my older Tab 3 that is no longer compatible with GAIA. So far so good, didn't get it in time for our trip this weekend to Broken Bow but tinkering with it here at the house it's running GAIA smoothly.

Vankyo MatrixPad 75ish dollars

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
First off, I want to express that I am going to ask questions based on my ignorance of Gaia and all of theses other apps. I am probably one of the least tech savvy people around. All of the nav acronyms gives me a headache. Soooooooo, here we go. I have been using good old gps devices for almost 30 years, garmin, Magellin, etc.. I have narrowed my device of choice to Garmin brand. I use them in my job and in private life, mostly off road, but on road as well. My go to devices are the old 276 c and the newer 650 Montana. Neither device has ever let me down. I have never gotten lost, have always planned and executed routes into and out of places most people don't go, with theses devices. They take up very little space are easy to read and understand, if you know how to read contour lines, very seldom have I ever lost signal. So I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but what advantages do theses new apps provide? I don't understand this layer stuff and having multiple apps on multiple screens . If I need a sat phone interface, I pick up my sat phone and talk into it. If I need to use my vhf radio I pick it up and talk into it. Keep in mind that I started off using map and compass and I have a very good sense of dead reckoning. Still use them today. Please help me here.
Some people don't need any maps, some people like paper maps, other people like electronic navigation. Most of the apps, especially Gaia, provide map layers far beyond what any dedicated hardware device provide. You could look at this page, Offroad App - Maps and Trails for Overlanding, 4x4, OHV, and ATV | Gaia GPS and also preview the recommended maps. If you find them useful great. If not no big deal. Everyone is different. I own a Garmin InReach because it increases my level of safety. Is it required? No but it could save my life one day. I don't like the maps that come with the Inreach so I use Gaia GPS. Personal preference.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
FYI - Gaia GPS now has cell coverage maps. For when you either want to be or NOT want to be in cell coverage. :)

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I probably use the GAIA topo the most and either layer in or switch to others as I need them. The GAIA topo seems to be the most well rounded for basic navigation to me anyway. I'm checking on that cell service map now. THat's a neat feature.

Reactions: Brett L. and gDanCO

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have my Galaxy Tab A and load Gaia Pro and I'm playing with the system. I am placing way-points along a trail I'd like to take. (Magruder Road Corridor).

Once I am done, can I create a route by zooming out to see both the start and finish way-points and select them as the start and finish?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have my Galaxy Tab A and load Gaia Pro and I'm playing with the system. I am placing way-points along a trail I'd like to take. (Magruder Road Corridor).

Once I am done, can I create a route by zooming out to see both the start and finish way-points and select them as the start and finish?
You need to draw the route first and then create waypoints or vice versa. There is not a way to tell Gaia to connect waypoints to create a route. I think it makes more sense to draw the route first as mentioned above but no need to delete what you have already created.

Reactions: mep1811

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Another question.
How can I make a route snap to an off road route rather than pavement? Do I need to make smaller routes along the Forest Road?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Another question.
How can I make a route snap to an off road route rather than pavement? Do I need to make smaller routes along the Forest Road?

3rd step - 2nd bullet point talks about how routes are built. Even with those layers you may need to points closer together to create a route along your desired path.

Reactions: mep1811

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
This is what I have read and done with Gaia so far:

- Went to Trailoffroad.com on my desktop
- Searched for a trail
- Read trail details, then download .gpx file for that trail
- Then opened up Gaia, then uploaded the .gpx file and put it in a folder I created
- I then opened the folder and open the map I just uploaded to validate it's the same map I downloaded from Trailoffroad.com
- Then on my iPhone, it synchronized the map/my account
- I open the map, click on the three dots on upper right hand corner where it gives me a menu of stuff

Question - if in that menu I select 'Driving Directions' and I am at home, will it give me turn by turn street directions to the trail head and to the final destination of the trail?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This is what I have read and done with Gaia so far:

- Went to Trailoffroad.com on my desktop
- Searched for a trail
- Read trail details, then download .gpx file for that trail
- Then opened up Gaia, then uploaded the .gpx file and put it in a folder I created
- I then opened the folder and open the map I just uploaded to validate it's the same map I downloaded from Trailoffroad.com
- Then on my iPhone, it synchronized the map/my account
- I open the map, click on the three dots on upper right hand corner where it gives me a menu of stuff

Question - if in that menu I select 'Driving Directions' and I am at home, will it give me turn by turn street directions to the trail head and to the final destination of the trail?
Don’t confuse a track with the term Map. There is no way to share maps, waypoints and tracks yes. Driving directions will bounce you out of Gaia and load either Apple Maps or Google maps to give you those directions. In iOS you can pick which app to use.

Once in Gaia if you download maps for offline use on one device it will sync those map downloads to your other device, for example an iPad but the downloads take the same amount of time and you HAVE to have Gaia open and running for the app to do that. There is no downloading of maps in the background sadly. I think this is an Apple restriction.

Reactions: Traxx