AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Is there a way to view distances between waypoints on a route after being saved? I just finished a route and wanted to see the distance between the start and my 1st campsite. Is the only way to do it is with the As the crow flies function?

Also anyway to make the notes from a waypoint pop up when driving the route?
No only as the crow flies by tapping on the waypoint or using Guide Me.

Same for notes you have to tap on the waypoint and then look at the details. No auto anything.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Is there a way to view distances between waypoints on a route after being saved? I just finished a route and wanted to see the distance between the start and my 1st campsite. Is the only way to do it is with the As the crow flies function?

Also anyway to make the notes from a waypoint pop up when driving the route?
I've started building my routes by day-runs and placing the day-runs in a folder. This way I have potential dailies and can open the entire route as a folder.
Example: route name day 1, route name day2, etc... then folder as route name.

Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
General use
I've started building my routes by day-runs and placing the day-runs in a folder. This way I have potential dailies and can open the entire route as a folder.
Example: route name day 1, route name day2, etc... then folder as route name.
What advantage do you find In breaking a “trip” into daily folders over placing your different routes/tracks in the same folder? I use folders to manage entire trips but have never broken down any further (e.g. daily).

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

General use

What advantage do you find In breaking a “trip” into daily folders over placing your different routes/tracks in the same folder? I use folders to manage entire trips but have never broken down any further (e.g. daily).
Sorry, may not have been clear.. Daily is a file then the multiple files placed into a folder.

By this, I have a daily run that I can notate, I know the distance of that run and hopefully easier to deal with as the actual track is made. I'm still playing with all this to work out a system that works for me.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Ok, that makes much more sense to me! Folders are great for trip planning!
I was having issues in several levels of route planning, then as I worked through those I found I was still asking myself questions after the fact. The folders option I found to be very handy. My only disappointment is if you open a folder (laptop) you get a small window to view. Going into full screen brings back everything else. Haven't found a work around for that yet..

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I was having issues in several levels of route planning, then as I worked through those I found I was still asking myself questions after the fact. The folders option I found to be very handy. My only disappointment is if you open a folder (laptop) you get a small window to view. Going into full screen brings back everything else. Haven't found a work around for that yet..
Yep, you have to view the full screen and not the individual route screen, but you can get to the main map from any folder screen so that does not bother me much. Recently I have been taking advantage of Gaia's ability to hide stuff; makes some map work a little less distracting. Though when I am on the trail I have Gaia really zoomed in so clutter is typically not a problem outside of planning at home on the computer.

Reactions: RJ Howell

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Sorry, may not have been clear.. Daily is a file then the multiple files placed into a folder.

By this, I have a daily run that I can notate, I know the distance of that run and hopefully easier to deal with as the actual track is made. I'm still playing with all this to work out a system that works for me.
Thats what I ended up doing. I broke it into 3 days routes and put in the folder. I still kept the total routes since it had all my waypoint notes so I can still see where a caution area is coming up.

Reactions: RJ Howell

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I’m new to using Gaia, but not to nav software. I’m having an issue with planning routes online to follow the Level 2 forest roads when selecting a Driving route. Is this normal, or am I missing something? The route never seems to snap to the trail I want.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I’m new to using Gaia, but not to nav software. I’m having an issue with planning routes online to follow the Level 2 forest roads when selecting a Driving route. Is this normal, or am I missing something? The route never seems to snap to the trail I want.
If it won’t snap try smaller distances between your points. Sometimes you have to make them really small or the app will route way around something. It is most based on data from OpenStreets so accuracy can very.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

If it won’t snap try smaller distances between your points. Sometimes you have to make them really small or the app will route way around something. It is most based on data from OpenStreets so accuracy can very.
I’ve tried what I thought was small enough increments but will try again and see. Thanks!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’ve tried what I thought was small enough increments but will try again and see. Thanks!
Sometimes if you hold the next point of our your line on the road (before clicking to drop make the point) it will auto fit - this is handy to help figure out if Gaia is going to be able to route for you on that particular road. If you were getting a route auto fit to a road and then it stops auto-fitting you may have found something that confuses the routing and you have to click a bit of a manual route to get past that point and auto fit will start working again. Ran into this with a detour recently on a main road. Otherwise I am pretty impressed with the ability to route a lot of dirt roads.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Sometimes if you hold the next point of our your line on the road (before clicking to drop make the point) it will auto fit - this is handy to help figure out if Gaia is going to be able to route for you on that particular road. If you were getting a route auto fit to a road and then it stops auto-fitting you may have found something that confuses the routing and you have to click a bit of a manual route to get past that point and auto fit will start working again. Ran into this with a detour recently on a main road. Otherwise I am pretty impressed with the ability to route a lot of dirt roads.
So, I've been using the USFS Road and Trails map, and that might be part of the problem based on the comment above about Gaia using OpenStreetMap. The areas I was looking with the USFS map has the roads I'm trying to route. Whenever I let the next point hover, the line doesn't snap to the trail, it just. keeps a straight line to where my cursor is. But, if I switch to the Gaia Satellite map, the roads aren't there at all. That must be why it's not working like I expected. I can still map it, but it will just be a whole bunch of short, straight segments.

Reactions: Ubiety and 1Louder

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So, I've been using the USFS Road and Trails map, and that might be part of the problem based on the comment above about Gaia using OpenStreetMap. The areas I was looking with the USFS map has the roads I'm trying to route. Whenever I let the next point hover, the line doesn't snap to the trail, it just. keeps a straight line to where my cursor is. But, if I switch to the Gaia Satellite map, the roads aren't there at all. That must be why it's not working like I expected. I can still map it, but it will just be a whole bunch of short, straight segments.
Your mileage will vary with auto routing when you get to dirt roads, some are routable others are not. I believe Gaia makes calls to a third party to do the auto routing so it not likely dependent upon Gaia maps rather the third party's data and ability to route that particular segment.

VE6HRY

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary
First Name
Harry
Last Name
Maylor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6HRY
Well I started out in one direction and turned in another with Gaia. I was working on APRSGTE and while getting all the gear together realised the the Samsung tablet needed could also do mapping. I have been using a dedicated Garmin GPS for a few years and Lowrance before that. I think the tablet is going to replace the Garmin though the track recording on it is way simpler. Glad I stumbled upon this resource and no I have some reading to do while in hibernation.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well I started out in one direction and turned in another with Gaia. I was working on APRSGTE and while getting all the gear together realised the the Samsung tablet needed could also do mapping. I have been using a dedicated Garmin GPS for a few years and Lowrance before that. I think the tablet is going to replace the Garmin though the track recording on it is way simpler. Glad I stumbled upon this resource and no I have some reading to do while in hibernation.
Awesome! Loving my ipad in the jeep! Keep the Garmin handheld - still great for hikes and as a backup.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hovering over we're you are about to snap/click works pretty well to see if it's going to work. Working on back roads/wood roads, you will still get those spots that it just won't fill. What I found (and mentioned to Gaia) is that some of those routes just are not passable (like bridge out or gated). I am starting to see icons showing some of this. I've confirmed a few spots now that I hoped as a route.

Reactions: BchBum11511

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

I noticed an odd thing on my map there is a line that is somewhat angular that cuts the topo it is labeled with numbers like 1.5 2.0 show on the boundary of the lines. Not topo. Not even elevation group lines are straight. But irregular.and don’t show up on my old iPad 2 they are on the Gaia base topo? Any ideas?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I noticed an odd thing on my map there is a line that is somewhat angular that cuts the topo it is labeled with numbers like 1.5 2.0 show on the boundary of the lines. Not topo. Not even elevation group lines are straight. But irregular.and don’t show up on my old iPad 2 they are on the Gaia base topo? Any ideas?
Have me curious! What layers do you have open? Can you do a screen shot (if not tell us the area you're looking at)?