Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Wilensky
Member #

Hello folks. I’m new here. I have been reading this thread with interest. Like others here, I have a WiFi iPad and would like to use my iPhone as a GPS receiver, which as explained on this thread and by the Gaia folks cannot be done. But it turns out there is a possibly easy solution, and that requires the use of an app called GPS2IP which makes GPS coordinates from an iPhone (there’s an Android equivalent too) be visible to an iPad connected the the phone as a hotspot, provided the iPad is “listening” on a particular network port. Several navigation apps do this already. Gaia does not. I and others have posted a request on the Gaia site they do this, as it makes a lot of sense to use the GPS receivers we all have (our smartphones) instead of asking us to buy a dedicated receiver.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hello folks. I’m new here. I have been reading this thread with interest. Like others here, I have a WiFi iPad and would like to use my iPhone as a GPS receiver, which as explained on this thread and by the Gaia folks cannot be done. But it turns out there is a possibly easy solution, and that requires the use of an app called GPS2IP which makes GPS coordinates from an iPhone (there’s an Android equivalent too) be visible to an iPad connected the the phone as a hotspot, provided the iPad is “listening” on a particular network port. Several navigation apps do this already. Gaia does not. I and others have posted a request on the Gaia site they do this, as it makes a lot of sense to use the GPS receivers we all have (our smartphones) instead of asking us to buy a dedicated receiver.
Personally, I picked up a Garmin Glo2 receiver and love it. It better that the onboard receiver in 'my' phone is connected in areas my phone is not. I don't feel just under $100 is too much for the unit. MHO as always

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Quick question. I downloaded Hema NA and when I started it I thought I was in Gaia. Poking around a bit makes me think Gaia and Hema are the same app just with different map availability. Are they the same app/framework or are there just some big coincidences? Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Quick question. I downloaded Hema NA and when I started it I thought I was in Gaia. Poking around a bit makes me think Gaia and Hema are the same app just with different map availability. Are they the same app/framework or are there just some big coincidences? Thanks!
Try to get a refund for that app. It is VERY VERY OLD and has not been updated in forever. It is no longer supported by the developer and should not be in the store. I can't comment on the similarities. I am under an NDA.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Try to get a refund for that app. It is VERY VERY OLD and has not been updated in forever. It is no longer supported by the developer and should not be in the store. I can't comment on the similarities. I am under an NDA.
Nuf said ;) Thank you!

Reactions: 1Louder

Leirbag

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Wilensky
Member #

I have an update on the point I was making above about using a smartphone as a GPS receiver. Gaia just confirmed they have no plans to support using something like GPS2IP to grab GPS coordinates from a phone at this time. So, if you want to use a WiFi iPad you are and will continue to be required to buy a dedicated GPS receiver. :(

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have an update on the point I was making above about using a smartphone as a GPS receiver. Gaia just confirmed they have no plans to support using something like GPS2IP to grab GPS coordinates from a phone at this time. So, if you want to use a WiFi iPad you are and will continue to be required to buy a dedicated GPS receiver. :(
My take would be that it could lead to additional support issues. This is a work around app vs a true GPS. So if Gaia starts to not show accurate data where do you point the finger to and how would support be able to troubleshoot a 3rd party app.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My take would be that it could lead to additional support issues. This is a work around app vs a true GPS. So if Gaia starts to not show accurate data where do you point the finger to and how would support be able to troubleshoot a 3rd party app.
This confuses me, I would have figured that Gaia uses location services and would be able to get a (marginal) position from a phone/etc. that reports into location services? My old iPad does not have a GPS and I was able to get marginal position data by tethering to my iPhone - that could have been before I started using Gaia though.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This confuses me, I would have figured that Gaia uses location services and would be able to get a (marginal) position from a phone/etc. that reports into location services? My old iPad does not have a GPS and I was able to get marginal position data by tethering to my iPhone - that could have been before I started using Gaia though.
The app requires a GPS signal. I am not sure how to answer your question. Tethering does not work and has never been supported. If you were getting a marginal position, especially sitting at home, it may have been because of Wifi Triangulation vs some type of location data coming from your phone. Regardless the bottom line is to use the app with an iPad you need a GPS signal. This can either come from the internal GPS on iPad with LTE built in or a Bluetooth GPS device.

From Gaia - https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003525387-Using-External-GPS-Devices-with-Gaia-Dual-XGPS-Bad-Elf-etc-
This article states an InReach may have problems sharing GPS data with an iPad but I never had an issue with this nor have I heard others complain of that. Using an InReach is a popular option for GPS signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok I went dumb........ How do you save a map that is from a link to your routes? LOL dumb I know. So someone loads a link of a route they have, I click on it, it opens on my page in GAIA, but I see nothing to save this to my routes.......

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Ok I went dumb........ How do you save a map that is from a link to your routes? LOL dumb I know. So someone loads a link of a route they have, I click on it, it opens on my page in GAIA, but I see nothing to save this to my routes.......
If you're looking to upload routes, then upper right side on my laptop it has a drop down at my name. Upload feature is there.

I only remember because I did it a couple days ago... LOL

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This is a shared waypoint vs a track but I think the options on the toolbar are the same. It might say add to route or tracks. I just don't have a shared link handy.

shareddata.png

You might be able to go to the track details page. Then choose the data drop down and then GPX or KML. I always use GPX. You will then need to upload it to your account.

downloadtrack.png

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It was a link of a route from facebook, clicked it and it opened as you seen...
You can PM me the link if you like. Something is wrong with it. I really can't tell what the red line is in your screenshot. If that is the route or track then tap on it and choose more and then Open details page.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Perhaps you can help me with this? I have a new iphone 11 plus and run the prolevel gaia on it. Right next to it is a Ipad 10.5" both are 512 G both have the same base maps for the areas I am interested in downloaded. I suspect this is hardware issue as opposed to a software. The iphone pretty much fucntions flawlessly and tracks me contiuoulsy but the screen will shut down and I am not sure why/ Then I have to reopen the iphone. On the I pad it tracks intermittitenly like it is loosingthe signal than it willcatch up but is often a mile or 2 behind the i phone/ Both are mounted to the dash in the same manner factor 67 i think .I thought that the ipad had gps am i wrong there? The ipad is a used one from gazelle and shows the GPs positioning but only intermittiently > Am I missing a setting or something ? thanks

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Perhaps you can help me with this? I have a new iphone 11 plus and run the prolevel gaia on it. Right next to it is a Ipad 10.5" both are 512 G both have the same base maps for the areas I am interested in downloaded. I suspect this is hardware issue as opposed to a software. The iphone pretty much fucntions flawlessly and tracks me contiuoulsy but the screen will shut down and I am not sure why/ Then I have to reopen the iphone. On the I pad it tracks intermittitenly like it is loosingthe signal than it willcatch up but is often a mile or 2 behind the i phone/ Both are mounted to the dash in the same manner factor 67 i think .I thought that the ipad had gps am i wrong there? The ipad is a used one from gazelle and shows the GPs positioning but only intermittiently > Am I missing a setting or something ? thanks
Does your iPad have the option for 3G/LTE service? If not does not have a GPS. Share the model iPad you have either from the Gazelle link or Settings/General/About -- Model Number

As for your iPhone screen - Tap settings, Power Saving, and toggle Keep Screen On to On (Green)

Reactions: Ubiety

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
You can PM me the link if you like. Something is wrong with it. I really can't tell what the red line is in your screenshot. If that is the route or track then tap on it and choose more and then Open details page.
done

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Is there a way to view distances between waypoints on a route after being saved? I just finished a route and wanted to see the distance between the start and my 1st campsite. Is the only way to do it is with the As the crow flies function?

Also anyway to make the notes from a waypoint pop up when driving the route?