First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Edited Feb 12, 2021

HELLO YES I AM SHOUTING. If this is your first time reading this post welcome. There is LOTs of information on Gaia GPS in this thread. We are hoping you will not create another thread about Gaia GPS. If you ask your question here someone will answer. In fact a few folks will probably chime in. Keeping all of this info in one thread actually makes it easier for new people to learn.

THANKS!

GAIA FAQs -
Q - If I own an iPad do I need an external GPS?
A - If you own a wifi only iPad you will need to add a external Bluetooth GPS to it. There are many brands. Bad Elf, Garmin Glo, Dual GPS to name a few. You can also connect your Garmin InReach to your iPad and use it as the GPS.

If you have a 3G iPad it has a GPS Built in. You don't need to add an external GPS. Nor do you have to have an active cellular plan on your iPad. All iPads with 3G have a built in GPS.

Q - If I own an Android tablet do I need an external GPS?
A - Generally no. Most Android based tablets have a built in GPS.

Q - Do I need to download maps first?
A - Yes - Always download the map layers you want prior to taking any trip! Gaia may cache some maps while you are browsing areas while connected to the internet but you can't rely on this.
For iOS
For Android

One quick way to download maps is Download Maps Along Track or Route - You can pick what layers you want, up to 5, and what level of detail.

iOS - Download Maps Along a Track or Route

Here's a example of the NatGeo layer for the Mojave Road.
NatGeo Layer Maps_for_Mohave_Road.png

I sometimes hear complaints that folks wish they didn't have to download maps. They wish Gaia was just like (name a brand) GPS with "all the maps already loaded." Yes, there are devices with some map layer pre-loaded but they do not provide the level of detail and map layer options which Gaia can display. Did you know there are over a dozen different map layers associated with offroad and overland travel? Offroad Maps | Gaia GPS

A little bit of effort and learning can give you a much more powerful tool.

One easy way to give you full map coverage of a state(s) is to download the new and highly improved Gaia Topo Layer. The entire state of AZ, max zoom, is only around 275mb of data. California and a good portion of NV 730mb. This way you will always have at least one layer in Gaia GPS when exploring.

If you aren't a member and would like to subscribe to Gaia GPS I offer a discount on my website, 4xoa.com yes the OB discount is slightly higher but the small affiliate fees I receive from Gaia GPS help pay for my time to write articles and host them.

As a 7 year user and alpha/beta tester for Gaia GPS I thought I would start a dedicated thread so folks can ask about the app and get their questions answered. Let me stress that I am not an employee for Gaia. Merely a long time user and very active with working with them to produce the best GPS app available. Please post up questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions.

While I am here to answer questions there are good official resources at your disposal.

Gaia GPS - Navigate, Track, and Explore - All of the important updates are written about here

r/GaiaGPS - Official support forums

Gaia GPS - Official Help files

If anything changes to the above links I will edit this post. I also hope other Gaia GPS users will chime in to help answer questions.

Gaia is going to make a more dedicated push into the overlanding community this year. I of course fully support these efforts. The best current example would be the future implementation of the MVUM layer. I along with others (THANK YOU) have been asking Gaia to add this feature.

Free 3 Month Premium Subscription Details Here:
Our Navigation App of Choice - Gaia GPS - 4X Overland Adventures

My setup:
Gaia GPS Pro for iOS
iPad Pro 11" with Cellular/GPS
Ram Mount

My old setup:
Gaia GPS Pro for iOS
iPad Air 2
Ram Mount
Delorme InReach Explorer (this is used as the GPS for my iPad)

I have an Android phone for testing purposes and an older Android tablet but am not an expert on everything Android.

Preferred Map Layers:
USFS 2016 and USFS Classic
Gaia Topo
USGS Topo
Gaia Roadmap, Open Streets

All of the available map layers in Gaia GPS.

Map legends now available online - Map Legends

Feb 2021 Update - Gaia GPS has partnered with TrailsOffroad.com to provide 1-click imports from TrailsOffroad.com into Gaia GPS!

Thanks,
Chris aka 1Louder

Attachments

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
DOES MY iPAD HAVE GPS?
If you have a wifi only iPad and are sitting with a wifi connection your iPad will likely target your location via wifi triangulation. You can see this is Apple maps, Google Maps, Gaia, etc. Hop in your vehicle and then see what happens. Tethering to your phones hotspot will not work.

How can you tell? The easiest way is look for the sim card port on your iPad.

The next easiest may is go to Settings: About: look for Model Name (3 down from the top) Google your model name and you will find your answer. For example: mu162ll/a specs that is my iPad Pro Wifi/LTE model.

Related Articles:

Quick takes on the new version of GAIA GPS.

A New Version of GAIA GPS has been released! - 4X Overland Adventures

Huge Improvements to Next Gen Gaia GPS Hiking App

Last edited:

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
I can't figure out how to use this GAIA. I try to plan a route and it gives me the way of the birds flight path. If I have a track to follow and select guide me, will it give me directions? Or do I just keep my arrow on the path.?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: jerryb and Turnerxc

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I can't figure out how to use this GAIA. I try to plan a route and it gives me the way of the birds flight path. If I have a track to follow and select guide me, will it give me directions? Or do I just keep my arrow on the path.?
You need to clarify if you are talking about on your iPad or the website. I am assuming the iPad. Here's a help file: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/215532758-Measure-and-Plan-Routes

A lot depends on the map you are using as to whether Gaia can figure out a route. I have found pretty good success with the USFS Raster maps and OpenStreets. Sometimes you need to select hiking or cycling instead of driving. Just test the options out. It will not give you directions. This is not a functionality of Gaia or most other off-road applications. It will only create a track which you can follow. Guide me is for waypoints. It will always be a straight line course. There is the option for driving directions which will kick you out of the app and try to give you routing via Google Maps.

Here's a blog post if you are talking about creating a route via the cloud website: http://blog.gaiagps.com/create-a-route-ah-hybrid-routing/

Another blog post on route planning in iOS: http://blog.gaiagps.com/use-snap-to-trail-with-gaia-gps-v10-9-for-ios/

Always search the help files because they generally include video tutorials which is not something I can provide.

- Chris

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
When I download a Map for Offline use and click all the POI/Way-points...upon going into airplane mode or into an area with not service, a majority of the POI (that were present when service were available) just disappear. This was unfortunate in Death Valley as there were some POI, that I hadn't marked with way-points thinking they would be there with the downloaded map...but they weren't' and I couldn't find them in the wilderness. Made me kinda pissy as I was the navigator for the excursion....

Is this inherent in the Gaia offline maps, or am I missing something....?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
When I download a Map for Offline use and click all the POI/Way-points...upon going into airplane mode or into an area with not service, a majority of the POI (that were present when service were available) just disappear. This was unfortunate in Death Valley as there were some POI, that I hadn't marked with way-points thinking they would be there with the downloaded map...but they weren't' and I couldn't find them in the wilderness. Made me kinda pissy as I was the navigator for the excursion....

Is this inherent in the Gaia offline maps, or am I missing something....?

Can you tell me what map layer? I have never seen POI disappear but the info behind them would. Gaia will load a pop-up with additional details when connected online. Some of this will change in the new release.

Reactions: cgoerrissen

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
It was the scroll over feature that disappeared. Usually, you see the icons and can click on them for more data on that POI/Location. When I was offline, those didn't appear...I would think since I downloaded the map and the POI associated to that area, then it would also download those POI pop-ups.

I have all layers selected: Parks and Forest, Trails, Camping, Natural, Other and My Way points.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It was the scroll over feature that disappeared. Usually, you see the icons and can click on them for more data on that POI/Location. When I was offline, those didn't appear...I would think since I downloaded the map and the POI associated to that area, then it would also download those POI pop-ups.

I have all layers selected: Parks and Forest, Trails, Camping, Natural, Other and My Way points.
Let's table this for the new version because a lot of that is going to change. The way it works and what may or may not be available. The new version is very close to being finished. While I know the release date I can't share it. Once the new version goes live I will work on adding some screenshots and explanations of the changes in the app. Of course Gaia will have a lot of this as well. I won't duplicate their efforts. I will put my take on it with regards to using it for vehicle based navigation.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Let's table this for the new version because a lot of that is going to change. The way it works and what may or may not be available. The new version is very close to being finished. While I know the release date I can't share it. Once the new version goes live I will work on adding some screenshots and explanations of the changes in the app. Of course Gaia will have a lot of this as well. I won't duplicate their efforts. I will put my take on it with regards to using it for vehicle based navigation.
As long as it's a known problem that will be addressed (and fixed?) I am good for tabling. I have been happy with Gaia so far.

Well, another issue too actually, I keep my phone on a horizontal phone holder on the dash of my Jeep JK. I found the direction arrow jumps and spins a LOT at times because the phone is supposed to be held flat for navigating. If GAIA could fix this also, then I'd be even more ecstatic!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
As long as it's a known problem that will be addressed (and fixed?) I am good for tabling. I have been happy with Gaia so far.
I don't know if it is a known problem or not. Simply because based on the amount of POI data in the world a connection may be required. I have seen some POI data in the new version work offline but I have not looked at Death Valley specifically. Tell me the area and I will take a look when I have time.

Well, another issue too actually, I keep my phone on a horizontal phone holder on the dash of my Jeep JK. I found the direction arrow jumps and spins a LOT at times because the phone is supposed to be held flat for navigating. If GAIA could fix this also, then I'd be even more ecstatic!
I don't know if Gaia could fix your issue. Sounds more like your phone gps signal being weak. I would suggest posting something up in the Reddit support forum for this. I can't be the communicator to Gaia for all issues. I just don't have the time. Also they will need data from your device if it turns out to be a bug.

I am hear to help with how to use Gaia and then pass it off to them when needed if I feel I can't address the question. Since I don't work for them I can only do so much.

Thanks

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The NEW version of GAIA GPS for iOS has been released!

http://blog.gaiagps.com/next-generation-gaia-gps-now-national-geographic/

Please read this blog post because there is LOTS of information in it. I will try to answer questions as I can.

Extended Trials for Existing Users
Already have the old Gaia GPS? You get an extended free trial with the new app – up to two years based on purchase date. The more recently you bought Gaia GPS, the longer the free usage period, on a sliding scale. You can also continue to use the old app.

The biggest change regarding cost of the app:
The app is free to download and try for 7 days. It is then $9.99 a year or $29.99 yr for the Pro level. So the pro subscription got cheaper and after 2 years you would be even money on the cost of the old version.

Additionally, existing users with “GaiaPro” subscriptions from the old app get access to the new app at no additional cost, including National Geographic and all other Premium maps.

Existing Gaia GPS users can read an FAQ here: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007658388-FAQ-New-iOS-App-vs-Old-iOS-App

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

If you are on iOS the new version is out! As mentioned above. The POI data has changed greatly. (for better or worse). It is my understanding that the old data was not being kept up-to-date so it was removed from the new app.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any idea when the Android version will be out?
Probably the end of summer but I don't have any firm idea. They are meeting to discuss that stuff next week. I am sure I will be on the testing team for that as well. I have to sign non-disclosures for that stuff but at least can see how things are progressing. Gaia doesn't like to release software before it is ready. A team of up to 80 people including the development team puts the app through it paces as they say...

Reactions: YETI X

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the info. I prefer using my Android tablet because it has built in GPS, but I'm kind of lagging with the old version and the new looks really promising.
They worked really hard to get the current Android version up to the previous iOS app standards last year. I would expect to see the same for the new Android release. It just takes time. This has been a big re-write for them. Keep checking the Gaia blog because some things work for both apps. Like the new National Geographic map layers.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So I've seen no mention of mvums...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Correct. That is an entirely separate effort. Gaia is working on it but I don't know a release date for it. Since it's a map layer it would be available for both iOS and Android regardless of version.