Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

So I'm looking into getting some armor for my truck. Right now on my top priorities are front bumper and sliders. My question to everyone is which would you invest in first? As well for sliders would you suggest a kick out? How much of a benefit have you seen from a kickout? Thanks guys! These are what I'm looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

I would say if your doing a lot of rock crawling, or going to a lot of places with huge obstacles (like moab for example) sliders with the kickout. The kickout would aid in protection.....
But if your not doing that sort of thing the kickout could just be a hindrance.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Thanks goheels! I don't really do any rock crawling but I'm not going to say I won't in the future if I stumble upon it lol.
Thanks SLO Rob. I was more leaning toward sliders already lol. Unfortunately there isn't to many company's that make sliders for my tundra so I'm very limited to who I get to go with [emoji107]

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Bumper ought to far behind underbody armor. Radiator and engine skids are priority. Gas tank on many vehicles is vulnerable. You can easily be left screwed in the backwoods without such. Dont trust any factory plastic crap as i have seen them dent and puncture too many times. Sliders after that and bumpers once you have the rest protected.

For example I have most of the essentials covered with these three plates.

Last edited:

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Thanks goheels! I don't really do any rock crawling but I'm not going to say I won't in the future if I stumble upon it lol.
Thanks SLO Rob. I was more leaning toward sliders already lol. Unfortunately there isn't to many company's that make sliders for my tundra so I'm very limited to who I get to go with [emoji107]

Making your own isn't all that difficult and could save you some $$$.$$.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Bumper ought to far behind underbody armor. Radiator and engine skids are priority. Gas tank on many vehicles is vulnerable. You can easily be left screwed in the backwoods without such. Dont trust any factory plastic crap as i have seen them dent and puncture too many times. Sliders after that and bumpers once you have the rest protected.

For example I have most of the essentials covered with these three plates.

I agree, under armor should be first. lots of vulnerable components underneath, don't let them be "out of sight, out of mind", it could cost you.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

One thing I would add to the already good info above.... my rear control arm brackets got turned into hamburger.... so you may want to look under your Tundra and see what sits down below and is vulnerable. I had skid plates and sliders already so I was confident of the vital stuff being protected... a little overconfident. They make bolt on and weld on stuff for the FJ... I'm not sure what they have for the Tundra.