Alan
Last Name
Short
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LGY
Service Branch
Navy
Whats up AZ people? I'm out in Gilbert. Trying to get out camping a lot more this coming year so I thought I'd sign up for the board.

My rig is a 2013 Nissan xterra that pulls my (mostly) homebrew off road trailer. The trailer is very much a work in progress but its coming along, it currently has a tent mounted on the top and the basket is back on the X. Next up is to weld on new fenders and start on electrical.
View attachment 181120
Welcome...from down the street! :blush:

ADValex

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Valley of the Sun
First Name
Alex
Last Name
N/A
Whats up AZ people? I'm out in Gilbert. Trying to get out camping a lot more this coming year so I thought I'd sign up for the board.

My rig is a 2013 Nissan xterra that pulls my (mostly) homebrew off road trailer. The trailer is very much a work in progress but its coming along, it currently has a tent mounted on the top and the basket is back on the X. Next up is to weld on new fenders and start on electrical.
View attachment 181120
Welcome...from down the street! :blush:
I figured out of everybody from the other chat I'd run into you or Omega here! You just can't avoid me anywhere :rofl:

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Hello Michael, I am starting my research and I am in the planning stage of building an overland trailer. Would you maybe share some more detailed pictures and your thoughts on your trailer build. The suspension, I see the solar panel, how you put yours together and with what. Thanks Rich
So we have built a few. G3 off-road Fabrication is out Facebook page.

So the trailer build should have a few goals such as storage, kitchen, slides, materials and coatings. This particular trailer was built specifically to be towed by a JKU so weight was a consideration. I built the frame out of steel, the doors are awe so and bought from eBay. I put a rear slide out kitchen and it is built out of aluminum. The rack holding the rent is also aluminum. The solar is 100 watt renogy. The frame of the box is steel and covers in monstalinern coated ply. The entire box is removable from the frame. There is an arb awning that rides low but folds up to over 6 feet. I run power in the tent through a quick connect. More info if needed

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
So we have built a few. G3 off-road Fabrication is out Facebook page.

So the trailer build should have a few goals such as storage, kitchen, slides, materials and coatings. This particular trailer was built specifically to be towed by a JKU so weight was a consideration. I built the frame out of steel, the doors are awe so and bought from eBay. I put a rear slide out kitchen and it is built out of aluminum. The rack holding the rent is also aluminum. The solar is 100 watt renogy. The frame of the box is steel and covers in monstalinern coated ply. The entire box is removable from the frame. There is an arb awning that rides low but folds up to over 6 feet. I run power in the tent through a quick connect. More info if needed
Thanks Mike
I don’t go on to FB, are you on instagram? I am looking to built a rig that will be capable of a month or more in the outback. So water storage and power are important. I think I am going to remove the rear seat from the Toy for a cold weather sleeping spot.
The trailer I have is a medium weight (capability) a 4x8 base, it will be towed with w 2018 4Runner. It will be within towing specs of the 4Runner. Solid axel but thought an independent suspension would remove the possible ground clearance issue of the axle. Thought a pintle hitch would be preferable to a 2” ball. Now looking at locknroll and max couplers.
I thought I should put 4Runner hubs (matching tires & wheels) on it so they would work as a spare for my 4Runner visa versa .
Thanks for the input, looking forward to more info.
Rich

Last edited:

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

View attachment 181120
With your trailer setup, do you get everyting covered in a thick layer of dust? How do you deal with it.

ADValex

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Valley of the Sun
First Name
Alex
Last Name
N/A

View attachment 181120
With your trailer setup, do you get everyting covered in a thick layer of dust? How do you deal with it.
It does get covered in dust. The green plano trunks do a decent job of keeping dust out and i pack anything that cant get dusty in additional boxes that have gaskets or in bags and put those into the green boxes. Or we load stuff that can't get dusty inside the x or on the roof rack.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks Mike
I think I am going to remove the rear seat from the Toy for a cold weather sleeping spot.

Rich
You do realize that sleeping inside a metal box is colder than sleeping inside a fabric one. Vehicles retain the cold much longer than the fabric does.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
You do realize that sleeping inside a metal box is colder than sleeping inside a fabric one. Vehicles retain the cold much longer than the fabric does.
Tents have no insulation value, vehicles have a little by their very nature. Vehicles are much more water proof and snow proof. I have slept in tents most of my back packing life. I am older now and unable to carry 60+ lbs and sleep in the ground and repeat the next day, but thanks.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Tents have no insulation value, vehicles have a little by their very nature. Vehicles are much more water proof and snow proof. I have slept in tents most of my back packing life. I am older now and unable to carry 60+ lbs and sleep in the ground and repeat the next day, but thanks.
We went camping up in Sedona last month with 5 Jeepers. 3 of them slept inside the Jeeps and the other 2 slept in their tents. The tent people were very comfortable and the Jeep people woke everyone up every time they turned their Jeeps on to warm themselves up. It was 28 degrees that night on Schnebly. Just trying to be helpful.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have camped out in 12 degree weather and the inside of my Tahoe will be at least 30 to 40 degrees warmer without starting it up. My rig is certainly warmer and dramatically quieter from noise made by campers, wind and rain. It is also completely snow, rain and lightning proof. With window visors I get plenty of air without the rain and snow coming in.

I also have a 5 inch memory foam mattress it is far more comfortable and better insulated than sleeping on the ground. On my last hunting trip we hung out in my 270 awning with side walls and a propane fire-pit it was 65 degrees inside and 12 degrees outside. I also kept the doors open so it would heat up the inside of the truck before going to sleep.

I would admit a Jeep most likely has far less insulation then mine.

72256650_10157802171461738_7274990488443158528_o.jpg

In the summer it is still very comfortable inside.

70392651_10157698448366738_8980361331253182464_o.jpg

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
We went camping up in Sedona last month with 5 Jeepers. 3 of them slept inside the Jeeps and the other 2 slept in their tents. The tent people were very comfortable and the Jeep people woke everyone up every time they turned their Jeeps on to warm themselves up. It was 28 degrees that night on Schnebly. Just trying to be helpful.
Thanks Todd maybe your friends who sleep in the jeeps should purchase bags properly rated for the temps they are going to experience.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Well it's been a hot minute since I've been on here. Anyone planning on doing any trails mid-Feb? I'll probably be trying to find some trails in Pinetop area or north of Phoenix or near Gold Canyon if anyone is interested
Sounds like fun, keep me updated as soon as you know the day, Saturday works best for us.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Well it's been a hot minute since I've been on here. Anyone planning on doing any trails mid-Feb? I'll probably be trying to find some trails in Pinetop area or north of Phoenix or near Gold Canyon if anyone is interested
I'd definitely be game if you get something together... will just have to be after the 14th due to some work stuff.