Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have been trying to find a place to get my Ham License and figure out how all that works. Any recommendations for Phoenix area? And any info on pricing and the process?

Thanks

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have been trying to find a place to get my Ham License and figure out how all that works. Any recommendations for Phoenix area? And any info on pricing and the process?

Thanks

Probably other places but that's the main list. If you need to study I paid to use HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests I missed one question only because I was too lazy to change the answer. Yes there are lots of free ways to study but I found this more productive for me.

Reactions: TacoMark

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

Hello all. Quick update and slight change of plans. We're going to head up to the Flagstaff area Saturday morning, camp that night and head back Sunday. A quick one night trip, it'll just be the wife and I as of now. If anyone is interested in joining or meeting up let us know.
Larry and Kristy

Potential trip/meetup Northern AZ - gauging interest

Hello all. We've been to one of the meet and greets in Tucson a while back, and have tried to make it to others across the valley, but our schedules never seem to align. One of the common comments we see on the forums is that there's not enough meetings off pavement. We live in North Central Phoenix and take weekend trips as often as we can, and a few longer trips throughout the year. We were already planning a trip as sort of a shake down run after we change springs and work on our dual battery system, so we thought we would see what kind of interest there is from the OB community. Depending on the amount of responses we can try to figure out the Rally Point and make it an official event, or we can just coordinate through here, or a separate thread.

Location / Time
Kelly Canyon Area just south of Flagstaff AZ
There are a number of dispersed camping areas within a few miles of exiting the I-17 freeway on the East side. The terrain is easy. Dirt forest service roads. Almost any vehicle can make it back quite far. I would say higher clearance and better than street tires would be nice, but I've seen sedans back there pretty far. Depending on the level of interest and number of rigs/people that end up actually going we should be able to secure a location that can accommodate 4-8 rigs relatively easy.
Weekend of Friday 9/6 - Sunday 9/8
We would head up Friday morning around 9 am and come back Sunday mid-day. We usually pack up early(ish) on Sunday and hit Flagstaff for breakfast/brunch before heading back to Phoenix. Depending on others schedules we could potentially head up later or set a point to meet and caravan.

About us
We are Larry (40) & Kristy (38) and Elena (12). We usually bring one of Elena's friends with us on most trips, sometimes our son (Leander) joins us but that's pretty rare, lol. We have a Jeep JK with a rooftop tent and annex, outfitted with an ARB fridge and some other stuff. Like almost everyone on here we are constantly reworking our rig and trying to find the sweet spot between comfort and ease of setup. etc. We're currently on Rev 4 or 5 with our Jeep now, and probably see a van in our future. We look at trips as a way to recharge and get out of the city and into nature. Time to relax, chill, and have a great time. We're always looking for like-minded people to travel with.

If there's interest in the trip, we can plan a meetup ahead of time in North Phoenix somewhere. Also if there are people that don't want to or can't camp we thought it would be cool to do a meet and greet, rig show and tell or something Saturday. Just a thought. Anyway please let us know if your interested by replying to this thread or by sending us a message. Thanks and we hope to meet some new adventure friends!

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

Hello all. Quick update and slight change of plans. We're going to head up to the Flagstaff area Saturday morning, camp that night and head back Sunday. A quick one night trip, it'll just be the wife and I as of now. If anyone is interested in joining or meeting up let us know.
Larry and Kristy
Couple pics of our campsite near Flagstaff this weekend. Found a great spot. We're hoping we can make it to the meet and greet on the 26th!
IMG_7952.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

Shoakley

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
Member #

Does anybody know how to enable notifications? I dont want to miss out on a meet and the checkmark is highlighted on the app but im not getting any notifications. Might have to do it at the computer

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Notificationa abt this thread as Im an az (phx) ob
For the meetups it’s best to watch this thread, I’ll post here for the ones I setup. The forum software will also send a private message. But it is hit or miss if you will get one. It will only send 100 messages per rally point. They are working on making the hit rate better but it seems still off. One of the meetups 60% of the messages went to people who haven’t logged onto the site in over two years. It’s getting better tho.

Like Chris said hit the watch button at the top of the thread. You will get an email when there is a new post. But remember you only get one email until you check the forum, then it will reset and the next new message you will get a notification.

Another option is to watch the Meetup.com group AZ Overlanders. I post the meetups there too.

Todd