Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Where is that at? And when? I may be interested in joining a group depending on the details. Gotta coord with work and all that good stuff.

Link to the official site

Reactions: TacoMark

Shoakley

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
Member #

Just checking how many people got a privete message about the meetup tomorrow night (Thursday 7/25)? Seems there may be some issues with current forum members getting notices. Post up here or PM me if you did or didn't get one.

Thanks.
Just found out about this. Following for the next one

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I went to the event on Friday and a short time on Saturday. It is very side-by-side, sand rail, I don't know what you call those things oriented. There were 2 teardrop manufacturers. Sierra Expeditions showed up on Saturday. They had their teardrop rental on display.

I finally bought the Fireside Outdoor Pop-Up Firepit. It's a cool product. I have seen it in use in the past and knew they worked well. We were able to use ours last night on the rim because Coconino forest has no fire restrictions. No mess on the ground and it is easy to clean up. Best of all this thing really reduces the amount of smoke from a campfire. My wife talked me into getting the grill top as well. You can buy online and there is a code LABORDAY that takes off 30% I believe.

Ok back to the show. I think it has potential. I was way too hot but you can't really control Mother Nature. It would be nice if there was a bigger focus on camping and overland rigs. I think an area dedicated to dirt bikes and dual sports would be nice too. Lame they charge $5 to park each day.

We will see what happens. I ran into a few folks and that's always nice.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I went to the event on Friday and a short time on Saturday. It is very side-by-side, sand rail, I don't know what you call those things oriented. There were 2 teardrop manufacturers. Sierra Expeditions showed up on Saturday. They had their teardrop rental on display.

I finally bought the Fireside Outdoor Pop-Up Firepit. It's a cool product. I have seen it in use in the past and knew they worked well. We were able to use ours last night on the rim because Coconino forest has no fire restrictions. No mess on the ground and it is easy to clean up. Best of all this thing really reduces the amount of smoke from a campfire. My wife talked me into getting the grill top as well. You can buy online and there is a code LABORDAY that takes off 30% I believe.

Ok back to the show. I think it has potential. I was way too hot but you can't really control Mother Nature. It would be nice if there was a bigger focus on camping and overland rigs. I think an area dedicated to dirt bikes and dual sports would be nice too. Lame they charge $5 to park each day.

Thanks for the info.

Was curious but had enough going on locally I couldn't get out of town.

Random question for you. Did you ever DJ? There was a local DJ some years back that went by Louder and then I recall something about 1Louder and have been wondering if you're one in the same

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the info.

Was curious but had enough going on locally I couldn't get out of town.

Random question for you. Did you ever DJ? There was a local DJ some years back that went by Louder and then I recall something about 1Louder and have been wondering if you're one in the same
Not me! It's a reference to Spinal Tap.... Guitar playing.... etc.

Reactions: MoreGone

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

Potential trip/meetup Northern AZ - gauging interest

Hello all. We've been to one of the meet and greets in Tucson a while back, and have tried to make it to others across the valley, but our schedules never seem to align. One of the common comments we see on the forums is that there's not enough meetings off pavement. We live in North Central Phoenix and take weekend trips as often as we can, and a few longer trips throughout the year. We were already planning a trip as sort of a shake down run after we change springs and work on our dual battery system, so we thought we would see what kind of interest there is from the OB community. Depending on the amount of responses we can try to figure out the Rally Point and make it an official event, or we can just coordinate through here, or a separate thread.

Location / Time
Kelly Canyon Area just south of Flagstaff AZ
There are a number of dispersed camping areas within a few miles of exiting the I-17 freeway on the East side. The terrain is easy. Dirt forest service roads. Almost any vehicle can make it back quite far. I would say higher clearance and better than street tires would be nice, but I've seen sedans back there pretty far. Depending on the level of interest and number of rigs/people that end up actually going we should be able to secure a location that can accommodate 4-8 rigs relatively easy.
Weekend of Friday 9/6 - Sunday 9/8
We would head up Friday morning around 9 am and come back Sunday mid-day. We usually pack up early(ish) on Sunday and hit Flagstaff for breakfast/brunch before heading back to Phoenix. Depending on others schedules we could potentially head up later or set a point to meet and caravan.

About us
We are Larry (40) & Kristy (38) and Elena (12). We usually bring one of Elena's friends with us on most trips, sometimes our son (Leander) joins us but that's pretty rare, lol. We have a Jeep JK with a rooftop tent and annex, outfitted with an ARB fridge and some other stuff. Like almost everyone on here we are constantly reworking our rig and trying to find the sweet spot between comfort and ease of setup. etc. We're currently on Rev 4 or 5 with our Jeep now, and probably see a van in our future. We look at trips as a way to recharge and get out of the city and into nature. Time to relax, chill, and have a great time. We're always looking for like-minded people to travel with.

If there's interest in the trip, we can plan a meetup ahead of time in North Phoenix somewhere. Also if there are people that don't want to or can't camp we thought it would be cool to do a meet and greet, rig show and tell or something Saturday. Just a thought. Anyway please let us know if your interested by replying to this thread or by sending us a message. Thanks and we hope to meet some new adventure friends!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Does anybody have plans for the Labor Day Weekend for camping?fishing?metal detecting? We are trying to camp in a place that offers all 3 options. Right now we are thinking Camp Pendleton at Lake O'Neil. It offers all 3 plus the beach is just 15 minutes across the base.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Potential trip/meetup Northern AZ - gauging interest

Hello all. We've been to one of the meet and greets in Tucson a while back, and have tried to make it to others across the valley, but our schedules never seem to align. One of the common comments we see on the forums is that there's not enough meetings off pavement. We live in North Central Phoenix and take weekend trips as often as we can, and a few longer trips throughout the year. We were already planning a trip as sort of a shake down run after we change springs and work on our dual battery system, so we thought we would see what kind of interest there is from the OB community. Depending on the amount of responses we can try to figure out the Rally Point and make it an official event, or we can just coordinate through here, or a separate thread.

Location / Time
Kelly Canyon Area just south of Flagstaff AZ
There are a number of dispersed camping areas within a few miles of exiting the I-17 freeway on the East side. The terrain is easy. Dirt forest service roads. Almost any vehicle can make it back quite far. I would say higher clearance and better than street tires would be nice, but I've seen sedans back there pretty far. Depending on the level of interest and number of rigs/people that end up actually going we should be able to secure a location that can accommodate 4-8 rigs relatively easy.
Weekend of Friday 9/6 - Sunday 9/8
We would head up Friday morning around 9 am and come back Sunday mid-day. We usually pack up early(ish) on Sunday and hit Flagstaff for breakfast/brunch before heading back to Phoenix. Depending on others schedules we could potentially head up later or set a point to meet and caravan.

About us
We are Larry (40) & Kristy (38) and Elena (12). We usually bring one of Elena's friends with us on most trips, sometimes our son (Leander) joins us but that's pretty rare, lol. We have a Jeep JK with a rooftop tent and annex, outfitted with an ARB fridge and some other stuff. Like almost everyone on here we are constantly reworking our rig and trying to find the sweet spot between comfort and ease of setup. etc. We're currently on Rev 4 or 5 with our Jeep now, and probably see a van in our future. We look at trips as a way to recharge and get out of the city and into nature. Time to relax, chill, and have a great time. We're always looking for like-minded people to travel with.

If there's interest in the trip, we can plan a meetup ahead of time in North Phoenix somewhere. Also if there are people that don't want to or can't camp we thought it would be cool to do a meet and greet, rig show and tell or something Saturday. Just a thought. Anyway please let us know if your interested by replying to this thread or by sending us a message. Thanks and we hope to meet some new adventure friends!
Bad timing for us, we'll be getting ready for a trip the next weekend. But other wise would be up for it.

A meet and greet on the north west side would be great if you want to set it up. We had a great turn out at the one we had last week in the east valley, we are guessing over 50 people showed up. PM me if you have any questions on setting it up.

Todd

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would like to have a parking lot meetup in late September. Hopefully if/when the temps drop a little. One where folks bring their trailers and other favorite gear. I have no idea what my schedule is going to be though so I can't suggest a date yet.

Reactions: Hagz & the Hounds

bhunter74

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Rio Verde, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
James
Member #

I actually have 2 of those fire pits. I keep one in my camper that I have parked in Happy Jack and one for Jeep camping. I love them. They are also based here in the valley.

Reactions: 1Louder

TacoMark

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
Last Thursday there was a meeting in Gilbert, I believe at Rudy’s, and I got pulled into work last minute, so I couldnt attend. I am new around here, so I dont know if I’m looking in the wrong places, but...is there a meeting again this week?

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Last Thursday there was a meeting in Gilbert, I believe at Rudy’s, and I got pulled into work last minute, so I couldnt attend. I am new around here, so I dont know if I’m looking in the wrong places, but...is there a meeting again this week?
Not this week that I know of. We will do another one at Rudy’s again on Thursday 8/26.

Reactions: TacoMark