Traveler I

Whitefish, MT, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Lamley
Member #

Hello Arizona Overlanders!

I am new to the community. Excited to learn and meet other enthusiasts.
My home base location is in N. Scottsdale, AZ. I am always down to get out in the field with my rig, a 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport. Thank you @brien for the introduction!
Insta: lamztaco

IMG_7763.jpeg

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

Has anyone gotten to East Pocket (Edge/End of the World) in winter time? Are they blocking FR’s in that area after snow? I want to drive out there in the snow, even if it means building ramps to jump the gates.

Mucho gracias in advance! And Merry Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

patton999

Rank 0

Traveler I

Has anyone gotten to East Pocket (Edge/End of the World) in winter time? Are they blocking FR’s in that area after snow? I want to drive out there in the snow, even if it means building ramps to jump the gates.

They do end up closing those roads but it's usually after a heavy snow or a few small ones.
A friend and I managed to catch it at the time of a big snow in Flagstaff last year. It can get scary looking but it is extremely cool. Any problems could get pretty nasty though.

I double checked, I am thinking of the same area, https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1994-east-pocket-road. I've been in that area in the snow a few times so it doesn't usually immediately shut down.
Time a camping trip to try and catch the beginning of a snow storm. Some of the areas on the sides of the road are filled with water and/or snow. These roads look awesome with fresh deep snow, just have the gear with you if you run into issues. It looked amazing but it looked really dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: tritonl and Chase F

Engine_24

Rank III

Contributor III

Buckeye, Arizona, USA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Moore
hey guys im looking for any camping spots in between quartzite and phoenix for a day trip on new years eve. i have some friends from ca coming out for my birthday and just looking for any spots. You guys gave me some great spots for up north i know you'll have some good intel. Merry Christmas to everyone and happy new year

Reactions: tritonl

patton999

Rank 0

Traveler I

hey guys im looking for any camping spots in between quartzite and phoenix for a day trip on new years eve. i have some friends from ca coming out for my birthday and just looking for any spots. You guys gave me some great spots for up north i know you'll have some good intel. Merry Christmas to everyone and happy new year
Hello and Happy Holidays to you as well.

My roommate and I tend to look for roads or jeep trails that lead to beautiful and hopefully secluded areas and viewpoints, these areas usually include camping. I'm not familiar with your area but these links may help ya find something.
https://www.trails.com/arizona/off-highway-drives#lat=34.379712580462204&lon=-112.05093383789062&z=9&m=outdoors
zoom in on the areas that show numbers and trails will start to appear. You can also go back to the start of the website and choose camping locations instead of off-highway drives.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/search?utf8=✓&q=arizona
https://www.alltrails.com/us/arizona
https://www.alltrails.com/explore?b_tl_lat=34.37517887533528&b_tl_lng=-112.8021240234375&b_br_lat=33.16284622181141&b_br_lng=-109.97314453125

There's a site that shows most of the trails in this book https://funtreks.com/product/guide-arizona-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-2nd-edition/ but I can't find it.

I'm not sure how far you're willing to go. Found an awesome spot yesterday west of Sedona and nwest of Jerome.
just north of Perkinsville-FR181 heads east towards sycamore canyon. There are plenty of secluded camp spots and some awesome views.

Reactions: LamzTaco

Engine_24

Rank III

Contributor III

Buckeye, Arizona, USA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Moore
Change of plans a little bit decided to go up north. You guys gave me some great spots around flag and grand canyon but not looking to go all that far gotta be back by 9 am. fucking bummer. But if you guys have any intel on good spots for 2-3 rigs id appreciate it. Hope you guys had a great Christmas and a happy new year.

Reactions: Chase F

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

There are a few decent spots off Crown King trail and in the general area once you’re up the mountain a bit. It’s North (elevation) enough to get the Flagstaff feel, but close enough to home that you can get home within a reasonable time. If you don’t want any off-roading or long dragged out exploring, take the primary route off I-17 Bumble Bee exit.

Overland-Equipt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ
Member #

Chase, this is something I've been looking into as well. I camped at the Edge of the World back in Sept. and have wanted to hit it up again during the winter. From what I've found, it doesn't have any seasonal closures so unless they get some major snow fall, it is open. Right now though it seems everything up that way hasn't really seen the usual amount of snow fall but I am hoping maybe by the end of Jan/Feb timeframe there will be some good snow covered areas.

Reactions: Chase F

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chase, this is something I've been looking into as well. I camped at the Edge of the World back in Sept. and have wanted to hit it up again during the winter. From what I've found, it doesn't have any seasonal closures so unless they get some major snow fall, it is open. Right now though it seems everything up that way hasn't really seen the usual amount of snow fall but I am hoping maybe by the end of Jan/Feb timeframe there will be some good snow covered areas.
I literally just got back from a two-day trip at EOTW. Yup, zero snow. However it was pretty cold in the mid 20’s at night and a whopping 65 during the day, oddly enough. I also had the chance to do some trail riding and exploring and didn’t cross any closure signs or gates, so everything is peachy so far.

I’m still on a mission to camp there after a good snow fall, but like you said, maybe January or early February will bring some. Until then, I’ll be doing desert stuff in hopes to see aliens or something. On a side note, if anyone decides to go, the forest, colors, and vibe is pretty spectacular at the moment.

Surprise, AZ
2011 Ram 1500
Insta: Chase_Frazee

Reactions: SgtMac