Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

So... what did everyone learn from Overland Expo West?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Learned that a crowd of people is a crowd no matter where you go. The camping situation is pretty brutal if you're not with a big group. Learned a teardrop is not going to work for us, and learned I never pack enough whiskey. [emoji23]

Reactions: Graeman

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Great turnout at the booth. I put in 2 hours.

New venue has a lot of promise. It will change slightly when the fairground construction is done.

I have seen 85% of it before but that's ok. My wife drove the test course in a Tacoma. With a great instructor, Charlene.

Food lines were long so I walked back to camp each day for lunch.

Nice to see the Patriot trailers in person and I like the Crux Brand of trailers.

Xpedition Overland has gotten so huge that it is not my thing anymore. They seemed to have sold a lot of hats and other gear.

I liked the drop down table from FrontRunner. Meant for a Jeep door but should work on my FJ as well.

I also learned I need to remember my member # and should probably get a 2nd emblem for my trailer.

I dunno you just have to go and see it for yourself.

Last edited:

G-Wagen

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

Great turnout at the booth. I put in 2 hours.

New venue has a lot of promise. It will change slightly when the fairground construction is done.

I have seen 85% of it before but that's ok. My wife drove the test course in a Tacoma. With a great instructor, Charlene.

Food lines were long so I walked back to camp each day for lunch.

Nice to see the Patriot trailers in person and I like the Crux Brand of trailers.

Xpedition Overland has gotten so huge that it is not my thing anymore. They seemed to have sold a lot of hats and other gear.

I liked the drop down table from FrontRunner. Meant for a Jeep door but should work on my FJ as well.

I also learned I need to remember my member # and should probably get a 2nd emblem for my trailer.

I dunno you just have to go and see it for yourself.
I was there on Saturday and found the event to be focused on sales versus education... As I've been overlanding/off-roading for 20+ years, I personally found it lacking. There's far more to overlanding then having a rooftop tent...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I was there on Saturday and found the event to be focused on sales versus education... As I've been overlanding/off-roading for 20+ years, I personally found it lacking. There's far more to overlanding then having a rooftop tent...
/QUOTE]

There is a ton of education stuff. You just have to pay a lot of money to participate in the classes. It has always been that way at the Expo. This years event because of the layout felt more that a trade show. I think they will tweak it and make it better next year but don't expect a bunch of "free" classes to be included with the general admission price.

G-Wagen

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

I had media access to the classes and found them to be quite pedestrian, at best... It seemed to me that this event is geared towards those whom are just beginning their foray in off-roading/overlanding. I'm not saying this event doesn't have a purpose, it's just not for me

SpranK_13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tempe, Arizona
Member #

I learned that overlanding is expensive (the cool toys, anyhow) and even if you move the venue it's still windy and dusty in Northern Arizona. LOL
I had a great time and spoke with lots of wonderful people, that was the best thing I took away from this weekend. This was my favorite truck at the show

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I had media access to the classes and found them to be quite pedestrian, at best... It seemed to me that this event is geared towards those whom are just beginning their foray in off-roading/overlanding. I'm not saying this event doesn't have a purpose, it's just not for me

Talk to the organizers and make a suggestion for higher level classes.

I had a good time. I always do.. Mostly because of the folks I run into. I also got a new up to 950 Lumen Headlamp!

Reactions: G-Wagen

G-Wagen

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

Talk to the organizers and make a suggestion for higher level classes.

I had a good time. I always do.. Mostly because of the folks I run into. I also got a new up to 950 Lumen Headlamp!
I agree with the best part being the people... Met some great ones there and am sure to keep in touch

Dave Pugh

Rank 0

Traveler I

Phoenix
What's up AZ?! I'm in Scottsdale. Overland was a great time. I liked the ability to see all of the products I'm interested in along with there competitors. Very helpful along with really nice people. Flagstaff is beautiful any day of the year including when it's windy.

DSC01654.jpg

Reactions: Graeman and DonLVOS

Traveler I

Up in Anthem here, will soon be a bit more South off Sonoran Desert Dr once the new place is complete. Current rig is an 07 Wrangler. Currently looking at getting a 2017 or 18 Armada though to kit out. This is the same Body style model as the current Y62 Patrol in Australia that they have had since 2010 but now the Series 3 there, so there is quite a bit of stuff for it, but would need to be imported.

My Jeep is down now though needing a new RR Axle, the pinion gear went out and took the RR Prop shaft with it so planning to upgrade to D60s with 5.13s. Hope to see some of you all soon enough out there enjoying the sites.

I work for Nissan Motor Company at the Proving Ground in Stanfield, AZ so if anyone has a Nissan question let me know and i'll try to help out.

Take care!

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Arizona is hot bed of OB Members - met a ton while at the Expo Booth. I think there is critical mass to have some lead folks in North and some lead folks in South AZ for sure.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Arizona is hot bed of OB Members - met a ton while at the Expo Booth. I think there is critical mass to have some lead folks in North and some lead folks in South AZ for sure.

Yep I think that can eventually happen. Plenty of places all over the state to explore.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Dave Pugh - I love the old school hubcaps on your Cruiser. I am really starting to look at purchasing an older than 80 series now, as they really do look good. Plus, I don't need all the electrical doodads that come on the newer models. Would love a manual transmission and crank windows.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It is ridiculous the prices that people are asking for old Cruisers nowadays. But, I guess people are getting it or they wouldn't be asking that much.

G-Wagen

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

Dave Pugh - I love the old school hubcaps on your Cruiser. I am really starting to look at purchasing an older than 80 series now, as they really do look good. Plus, I don't need all the electrical doodads that come on the newer models. Would love a manual transmission and crank windows.
That's what made me go for my Gelandewagen... No abs, gps, power locks, power windows, power steering, and a manual transmission to boot!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
G-Wagen I looked an one in Ontario, Canada back in October. I was dropping off a Pinzgauer and picking up a Haflinger and the owner had a nice Puch/Steyr Gelandewagen. Wasn't too expensive either, of course I was in Canada so cool vehicles are easier to get up there.