Enthusiast I

16530 North 157th Avenue, Surprise, Arizona 85374, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lary
Member #

Hi guys!

If you don't mind someone who's pretty new to this overlanding thing, I'd love to say hello.

Name: Aaron
Location: Phoenix (Central and Bethany Home) and Flagstaff (downtown)
Rig Type: Toyota Sequoia (new to me, just got it on Sunday!)
Meetup Interest/Addl Info: Informal (coffee, parking lots) + day runs + overnighters (but can't do Saturdays)
Rig Pic:

(Just moved to this from a minivan. It's stock so far. Needs dirt.)

View attachment 175241
Surprise here. Just got a new to me Tacoma. Still looking for trails here though

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi guys!

If you don't mind someone who's pretty new to this overlanding thing, I'd love to say hello.

Meetup Interest/Addl Info: Informal (coffee, parking lots) + day runs + overnighters (but can't do Saturdays)
Rig Pic:

View attachment 175241
Hello Aaron, and welcome. Congratulations on the ride. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Rich - thanks for the welcome.

Dan - this book seems awesome for finding trails: it's well-designed and clearly a labor of love by the authors.

[hmmm, can't seem to link to it on Amazon, the forum software changes the link, but it's called "Funtreks guide to Arizona backroads and 4-wheel-drive trails]

In case it's useful, I took a picture of the trails it shows that are closest to you - the colors are rated for difficulty, green being easy and red being hard.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 6.35.43 AM.png

Hello Aaron, and welcome. Congratulations on the ride. I am looking forward to meeting you.

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Hi guys!

Rig Pic:

View attachment 175241
Hey Aaron, welcome to the Overland world! First piece of advice, hold on to your wallet! Haha

I've only ever seen 1 Sequoia overland rig in the past, so I'm definitely interested to see how you build it up!

What's your first mod?

For trails I ALWAYS start with TrailsOffroad.com however I've got that Funtreks book for most California.

Reactions: freak4life

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Hey Aaron, welcome to the Overland world! First piece of advice, hold on to your wallet! Haha

I've only ever seen 1 Sequoia overland rig in the past, so I'm definitely interested to see how you build it up!

What's your first mod?

For trails I ALWAYS start with TrailsOffroad.com however I've got that Funtreks book for most California.
Probably predictably, tires and a lift is my first. I've got some basic camping equipment, and picked up traction boards and other stuff. I gotta see how much I ACTUALLY get out there before I get too crazy with the wallet.

This is also my daily driver, and I've got 3 kiddos and a dog so needed the room, hence the Sequoia.

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Probably predictably, tires and a lift is my first. I've got some basic camping equipment, and picked up traction boards and other stuff. I gotta see how much I ACTUALLY get out there before I get too crazy with the wallet.

This is also my daily driver, and I've got 3 kiddos and a dog so needed the room, hence the Sequoia.
Cool yea I always tell people to start with tires. That will get you most places safely without having to worry about flats. Other thins would be first aid, water, basic recovery tools, air compressor, fire extinguisher

Let me know if/when you want to get it out and get it dirty. I know a few trails here in the Flag area that are pretty basic and will give you a good shakedown on your rig as you start building it

Reactions: freak4life

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Awesome!

I'd love to come play, maybe this Sunday or next Sunday? It'd be me and one or more kiddos.

(anyone else want to come play?)

If so, we could be in Flag or maybe part-way between PHX and Flag, like Sedona.

And yep, I've got: first aid, water, basic recovery tools, air compressor, fire extinguisher ✅

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Awesome!

I'd love to come play, maybe this Sunday or next Sunday? It'd be me and one or more kiddos.

(anyone else want to come play?)

If so, we could be in Flag or maybe part-way between PHX and Flag, like Sedona.

And yep, I've got: first aid, water, basic recovery tools, air compressor, fire extinguisher ✅
Let's do Schnebly and/or Fry Canyon on Sunday?

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Hi Kyle,

Schnebly on Sunday sounds great! Appreciate you being willing to do an easier ride. Thanks.

I've heard it's best done from the top, so you have the views. What do you think? In terms of timing, I'm thinking 11am start? But I can text to confirm before we leave here...

My cell is 928-525-6499

Reactions: IamMachines

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Hi Kyle,

Schnebly on Sunday sounds great! Appreciate you being willing to do an easier ride. Thanks.

I've heard it's best done from the top, so you have the views. What do you think? In terms of timing, I'm thinking 11am start? But I can text to confirm before we leave here...

My cell is 928-525-6499
Ok rad, works for me.

Lets meet here at 11am Sunday.
34.911670, -111.643159

Anyone else interested in a chill Sunday run, feel free to arrive. We can wait around for about 30min or so, otherwise text me. 619 727 1255 If you have comms bring them. I have a HAM and also 3-4 FRS radios which I usually use on day runs.

What I typically do is run it downhill, then loop back around from the 89 across Fry Canyon which ends back up at the 17. Up to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: srotier and Flagtop

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Cool yea I always tell people to start with tires. That will get you most places safely without having to worry about flats. Other thins would be first aid, water, basic recovery tools, air compressor, fire extinguisher

Let me know if/when you want to get it out and get it dirty. I know a few trails here in the Flag area that are pretty basic and will give you a good shakedown on your rig as you start building it
For the fire extinguisher check out Elementfire.com they are awesome.

Reactions: Flagtop

Tins268

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

16530 North 157th Avenue, Surprise, Arizona 85374, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lary
Member #

Rich - thanks for the welcome.

Dan - this book seems awesome for finding trails: it's well-designed and clearly a labor of love by the authors.

[hmmm, can't seem to link to it on Amazon, the forum software changes the link, but it's called "Funtreks guide to Arizona backroads and 4-wheel-drive trails]

In case it's useful, I took a picture of the trails it shows that are closest to you - the colors are rated for difficulty, green being easy and red being hard.

View attachment 175246
I will have to check it out. Thanks.

Reactions: Flagtop

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Thanks Rich, I'll check that fire extinguisher out.

Kyle - sounds good. I'm all set and invited another Flagstaff friend as well (they're a maybe, should know Saturday night).

In terms of comms, I don't have anything, aside from some walkie talkies. Is that ok?

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Thanks Rich, I'll check that fire extinguisher out.

Kyle - sounds good. I'm all set and invited another Flagstaff friend as well (they're a maybe, should know Saturday night).

In terms of comms, I don't have anything, aside from some walkie talkies. Is that ok?
Yea the little walkie talkies from like Amazon (which are considered FRS or Family Radio Service as defined by the FCC) those work for small groups

Flagtop

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dragushan
Member #

Update!

We had a great time!

Got some nice dirt on the Sequoia, a few bumps/scrapes and a lot of pinstripes (wife wasn't super happy about those) . Aired down and up, which is old news for many but was fun for a newbie.

Thanks Kyle - was awesome to be out for the first time with someone who could walk me through a few things!

CoDawwg

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Williams,AZ
Member #

Been away for a bit, this overland bound has sure take off. Would be up for a meet and great or maybe a trail or 2.

VikingKong

Rank I

Member I

Gilbert, Arizona, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gericke
Member #

I've been an off-roader for over 7 years (2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) and just got into the overlanding gig with the addition of my latest vehicle. I won't be able to do anything hardcore, but that won't stop be from trying. ;). The Subaru is a work in progress. I put bigger tires on it and installed a 2-inch ADF lift in my garage this past weekend. So many plans, so little money! Ugh! :)

Name: Matt
Rig Type: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
Instagram (optional):
Meetup Interest/Addl Info: Pretty much open to anything pending scheduling. I have a weird work schedule. (Wed thru Sat)
Rig Pic: SubiLift.jpg