US Midwest Are there any meet up events going on around Ohio?

• HTML tutorial

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

Going up to sor tomorrow and camping the night if anyone want to tag
I would meet up with you guys too if i didn’t work tomorrow. Don’t know what sor is or where it’s at but if i did i would try and make it Sunday

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I would meet up with you guys too if i didn’t work tomorrow. Don’t know what sor is or where it’s at but if i did i would try and make it Sunday
Southington Offroad in Garrettsville Ohio. I think it’s 1500 acres of old strip mines to play around in. You might want to consider joining Mojo, they are down your way and do monthly trail rides and a ton of other events.

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

Southington Offroad in Garrettsville Ohio. I think it’s 1500 acres of old strip mines to play around in. You might want to consider joining Mojo, they are down your way and do monthly trail rides and a ton of other events.
I’ll have to try and make it up that way sometime. I’ve heard of mojo but am not a member

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

I'm organizing many different things around the region but have not put anything together for Ohio yet. I'll do a little research and see if I can put something together there. In the mean time I will be leading an expedition south to north in Indiana the first half of June....date to still be set. Then we are putting together an event in Illinois/Iowa area....still working out the route and camping.... Where would you like to see a Ohio trip at?....I was thinking Southeast Ohio....
I’ve got a route for south-central ohio and routes through Shawnee that are pretty fun I can send you.

Reactions: kev14

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I’ve got a route for south-central ohio and routes through Shawnee that are pretty fun I can send you.
Please do!... I'm trying to organize a Meet and Greet in Cincinnati....any good places you can think of? I was looking at Dead Low Brewery and Big Ash Brewery....I'm going to be at the Garage Brewed Motorcycle Show this Saturday and planned on scouting out these two venues...join me if you want....502-724-6435.....

Buster4pres

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Fort Thomas, KY
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Eichelberger
Member #

Please do!... I'm trying to organize a Meet and Greet in Cincinnati....any good places you can think of? I was looking at Dead Low Brewery and Big Ash Brewery....I'm going to be at the Garage Brewed Motorcycle Show this Saturday and planned on scouting out these two venues...join me if you want....502-724-6435.....
I’ll actually be out in Shawnee exploring some more on Saturday but I appreciate it.

But either of those locations would be perfect they’ve got huge lots adjacent to them. Only other one I can think of would be Mad Tree since they have had Gears and Beers throughout the year.

How would you like those routes sent?

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I’ll actually be out in Shawnee exploring some more on Saturday but I appreciate it.

But either of those locations would be perfect they’ve got huge lots adjacent to them. Only other one I can think of would be Mad Tree since they have had Gears and Beers throughout the year.

How would you like those routes sent?
Mad Tree...Just found them....when did they have a Gears and Beers event

INVICTUS

Rank III

Advocate I

Perrysville, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Southington is certainly a cool place, ive run firearms events at that location but not any overland stuff. I’m new to the entire overland thing and seem to be spinning my wheels trying to figure some places to go. East coast appears a bit harder to find good trails/locations than out west. Ohio particularly.

Reactions: DadJokes

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Southington is certainly a cool place, ive run firearms events at that location but not any overland stuff. I’m new to the entire overland thing and seem to be spinning my wheels trying to figure some places to go. East coast appears a bit harder to find good trails/locations than out west. Ohio particularly.
unfortunately the East coast is severely lacking compared to the west and most of the off-roading is contained in private parks, not exactly what you’d consider overlanding. Saying that, there is some decent overlanding in WV, KY, and PA if you don’t mind the 4-5 hour drive. I’d recommend the DBBB in Ky as a good starter.

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

unfortunately the East coast is severely lacking compared to the west and most of the off-roading is contained in private parks, not exactly what you’d consider overlanding. Saying that, there is some decent overlanding in WV, KY, and PA if you don’t mind the 4-5 hour drive. I’d recommend the DBBB in Ky as a good starter.
I would not recommend the DBBB to start with...it has some nasty stuff on it and you can get yourself into trouble very easy there...I put together the Trans-Hoosier Overland route last year and it is meant for people just starting out...There are lots of places to go...I'm leading a beginner's trip Feb 29 if your interested in it....we will be skiing at Paoli Peaks first then doing a 4-5 hour trip in Hoosier National Forest. March 13-14 The KYTLCA will be hosting a trail ride on in Red River Gorge with 4 different levels of experience. I will be leading the easy trip...visit the kytlca.org to register...

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I would not recommend the DBBB to start with...it has some nasty stuff on it and you can get yourself into trouble very easy there...I put together the Trans-Hoosier Overland route last year and it is meant for people just starting out...There are lots of places to go...I'm leading a beginner's trip Feb 29 if your interested in it....we will be skiing at Paoli Peaks first then doing a 4-5 hour trip in Hoosier National Forest. March 13-14 The KYTLCA will be hosting a trail ride on in Red River Gorge with 4 different levels of experience. I will be leading the easy trip...visit the kytlca.org to register...
We ran the entire DBBB loop in my TJ on 32” ATs last fall with minimal hiccups. As with anything, keep an eye on weather conditions and bring a buddy. Also be prepared for pinstriping.

INVICTUS

Rank III

Advocate I

Perrysville, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have no issues going anywhere in KY or WV

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Hi All - curious to hear from anyone who has been to Southington OffRoad in Garrettsville Ohio? The website shows they open typically the first full weekend each month for 4x4 trails. Thinking of going over the next few months to develop my skills and learn from others. If you have been there, what suggestions do you have for a solo driver running a stock 2020 4Runner TRD ORP? Thanks!

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

Hi All - curious to hear from anyone who has been to Southington OffRoad in Garrettsville Ohio? The website shows they open typically the first full weekend each month for 4x4 trails. Thinking of going over the next few months to develop my skills and learn from others. If you have been there, what suggestions do you have for a solo driver running a stock 2020 4Runner TRD ORP? Thanks!
Have to let me know when you head out. Also looking to develop some more skills and looking for people to go out with

Reactions: NØMAD

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Have to let me know when you head out. Also looking to develop some more skills and looking for people to go out with
Hey Adam - I ended up going yesterday on my own. Interesting experience... was VERY busy when I arrived at 1pm. Here's some observations on my visit:
  • Gotta complete the wavier online before trying to pay for the day, they look you up and make you step out of line if not complete (which I had to do).
  • Once you pay, you can meet with a guide who reviews the property map (1500 acres) and makes trail suggestions. This was somewhat entertaining as "Dave" kept telling me stories as he oriented me to the map. Things such as... "Go here if you like to get stuck & yanked out of quicksand". After that I was pretty much on my own.
  • Many 'franken-vehicles' on the property in use. I could have just watched and been entertained for a while. Little coordination of traffic flow on the trails, you have to navigate and hope people are looking out for each other, which generally seemed to be happening on the busy trails.
  • Definitely recommend going with someone and using the buddy system. Would have felt much more comfortable with a spotter and work through the trails together.
  • Thinking that maybe earlier in the day (i.e. closer to morning opening) might be best to work on skills and be off the trails when the serious off-roading machines arrive then watch and enjoy the show.
  • Friendly folks, cool property, can be overwhelming for a first-timer bringing a new vehicle.
  • Some really nice spots for photos (attached)!

Attachments