utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

UPDATE!!! And its a good one.

First, everyone has issues, and I found the reason why alot of the input cables are out of stock at Goal Zero. Its the new lithium yeti's fault. I personally think it was a design issue with a few things prior but the litium yeti brought it to head. But If you want a MC4 to 8mm input cable or other cable shown out of stock, call goal zero directly. Their site will also show out of stock but here the deal... They have most these cables but due to an issue are redesigning alot of them for safety, so they show out of stock.

One thing I did not know, they are local. Just 10 minutes away so I had the day off and decided I would go in and check out their "store" and talk to some people, first everyone I talked to was AWESOME. They either helped, or put you in contact with someone who could.

Of all the cables the MC4 seemed the most over built with the 12V cig cable being the worst. The cig cable is built with a little 16 or smaller gauge cable. The new Lithium pack will draw over 10A on charge if the supply is there, so when you plug it into the cig lighter adapter it will either blow a few in your car or heat the cable to the point of melting. That explains why the new li400yeti does not list car charging on it. And its the reason I did not get it but now that I know the facts and have suitable power on the vehicle to not need to use the cig lighter adapter (which again if you look at the MS paint drawing I made on post 56, you will see I HATE them anyways). After talking with a few people at Goal Zero and showing them my rig and its wiring. they agreed the issue will not be an issue with my truck if I build my own cable. Which I am doing right now, so I guess a LI400yeti is in my future as well. The LIs are A WHOLE LOT LIGHTER. Its stupid how much lighter they are, less than the half weight easily.

To get your cables, you need to call goal zero and they will inform you of the risks and if you still want them they will ship, but they had 15 of the MC4 cables hanging on the rack when I left and they even said I could post this info. OLB exclusive hook up here.

More photos to come but here are a few to start with on the output cable for my ARB fridge.

First upon arriving I spotted a awesome Taco with Tepui tent out front, so needless to say I had to park next to it. Found out it belongs to one of their marketing guys

And some of the haul, they also gave me and my daughter a bunch of swag. Shirts, and a few other little things. Pretty cool team they have their. My daughter liked it ALOT.

My output cable started life as a 98009 6mm to alligator clip that I paid $9.99 for. Upon cutting off one clip I noticed something that concerned me immediately. The wire is not a wire, it is a coax cable. IE, a center conductor with shield separated by insulation. I did a quick CNR (continuity and resistance) test and determined that the shield is tied to the same polarity contact on each end. Odd way to do it and part of the problem I think goal zero is having is due to this. The center conductor is 16g and the shield is easily stripped with a 10g stripper, so if you remove the insulation between the 2, and reform the wires as single conductor, you have approx a 12g wire. Which being just a couple feet long will not really impact my power needs for the ARB fridge. According to the AWG wire chart for 12VDC, I would be safe for about 25ft at 6A draw. I have 2 feet before it steps to 10g for 6 ft, so I am plenty safe in this harness for my needs.

Next I crimped on the Anderson power pole connectors being sure to keep the ARES standard polarity/ keying which means paying attention to how the contacts are oriented on the wire prior to crimping. But Viola this one is done. Give me a few moments for dinner and to finish the input cable using a modified MC4 to 8mm cable.

FYI some may ask, why did I do this, why not just buy the Anderson cables they have (like the 98054) 8mm input to Anderson power couple contacts.... as I pointed out to the team at goal zero, they changed their design and use ribbed/ keyed Anderson connectors as such the standard smooth Anderson that everyone uses will no longer fit. They opened one of their displays and tried to mate some of my cables, and it was a no go, and they were shocked to see it. The only reason I knew this was a guy on youtube had the same experience and a review on amazon.com. Again, like I mentioned earlier, the peripheral cables are the issue and the lithium just brought it all to light. But odd that only a few have picked up on it yet. I am sure in time this will be more noticed and expressed.

Reactions: Boort

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
Why anyone would use coax for power is beyond me. Stranded copper is cheaper and better suited.
What's this ribbed Anderson power connector look like? I just built a few cables and I think I might have used them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: utspoolup

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Why anyone would use coax for power is beyond me. Stranded copper is cheaper and better suited.
What's this ribbed Anderson power connector look like? I just built a few cables and I think I might have used them.

I know, tell me about it. When I made the first cut and realized what I was dealing with I almost shit. I was super worried that the shields were all tied to ground. Luckily not the case.

As for the cables... just an example of the different from the alligator clip coax vs the MC4 wiring... Look at the MC4, nice copper 10g wire. This is how all should have been built. I still do not know why they are freaking out over this cable. It is overbuilt for what you can do with it and these Yeti's.

I used 45A connectors for everything I did today. I just wish they made a decent version of this cable, but considering I have the tools/ parts, experience, and knowledge to get into it. I'm lucky, not everyone else is.

One thing about the MC4 wiring is they used overkill PV cabling, double jacketed. As such the super thick jacket would not clear the Anderson boot, and even caused issues with the crimptool. So I had to seperate the jackets for about 0.5" after the copper to clear everything. This took the most time. After that was done, the rest went together as expected. One thing I did not expect however was the 8mm connector. It has the ground on the outside. But the pin is not source. The source is actually the inside of the ring. Took a second to figure out what they did there. The center pin is open to both polarity's. Weird.

And compared to the original

Last edited:
Reactions: tbisaacs

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Just received the Yeti about 40 minutes ago and had to try it out. First did the simple stuff. Charged a phone via USB, easy.. my daughters phone drew 4 watts. Then I did the same with an AC to USB converter and test the inverter. With just the inverter on and nothing plugged in it drew 6 Watts. Then I plugged in the phone... 17Watts!!!! 6 plus the original 4 is only 10. That makes the AC to USB adapter use/ waste 7 watts.. Thats a conversion loss of 11 watts, 3 times what it was actually being powered. Please see my post above where I recommend to keep DC as DC only since it is more efficient. This is just a little proof.

Next came the fridge. Its an ARB 50qt. I've had almost 3 years now. First I powered it off of the inverter. Again, started with a 6W draw without the fridge plugged in, then I plugged it in but left if off. 13 watts. Then powered it up and waited for the compressor to kick on. It jumped to 70W.

Then I powered it off of 12VDC. The draw was 60W but slowly rose to 62 then fluctuated between 58-62. The test was only 30 minutes but I'm a fan and will continue to test it for a while I will do some solar tests tomorrow when I have more time, but so far, its looking positive. Its currently charging for some more tests.

Reactions: Boort

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Never seen the before, but the insides of both the hood and the contact support are ribbed with 4 or so grooves. I was only able to find one photo of them on Google images... If I get time to get back into the store, I'll snap a better photo to explain it more but this give an idea.... The red contact on the right.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Never seen the before, but the insides of both the hood and the contact support are ribbed with 4 or so grooves. I was only able to find one photo of them on Google images... If I get time to get back into the store, I'll snap a better photo to explain it more but this give an idea.... The red contact on the right.

Interesting.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I made it back to goal zero this afternoon. Here is the Anderson they are using. The grooves on the inner piece is not the issue, it is the outer hood as it prevents normal power poles from fitting.

They also let on that they are going to discontinued the MC4 cable all together as they are worried that many are going to try and daisy chain several panels and over voltage the lithium power packs. With that being said, I bet you stop seeing MC4s on their panels as well soon.

Reactions: NV Badlands

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
I made it back to goal zero this afternoon. Here is the Anderson they are using. The grooves on the inner piece is not the issue, it is the outer hood as it prevents normal power poles from fitting.

They also let on that they are going to discontinued the MC4 cable all together as they are worried that many are going to try and daisy chain several panels and over voltage the lithium power packs. With that being said, I bet you stop seeing MC4s on their panels as well soon.

I've never seen Anderson Power poles with that wavy part on the bottom, and configured vertically. Looks like a knockoff or a custom configuration. I have some leftover 30 amp connections that I bought in 2008, and they have the grooves on all 4 sides.

Sent from my iPhone

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

The configured vertically thing is something Goal zero did so the end user would not put an input to an output. Its smart for people who do not know what they are doing. I follow ARES/RACEs configuration for my pairing. But The grooves suck if you buy a "standard off the shelf" Anderson as they can not mate unless your melt off the peaks on the inside of hood.

Reactions: sil80s13

dancarrphoto

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
Hey folks! I have some answers!

If you search for "finger proof Anderson connectors" you'll find these things that Goal Zero are using. I just signed up to the forum to tell you guys this, and as a newbie I'm not allowed to post links, but if you go to Allied Electric website, or Mouser and search for 1327FP-BK you will find these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: k9sar and utspoolup

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Great info and data. Hope you stick around and keep with this place. Thanks for following up and again, welcome Sir.

dancarrphoto

Rank 0

Traveler I

Canada
You're welcome! I looked all over for these things and some clues on here finally got me to the answer.

For further clarity, the part numbers are : Red connectors: 1327FP-BK / Black connectors: 1327G6FP-BK

From reading a product datasheet, I think these are actually a new type of Anderson connector that they plan to take over from the old version. I'm really not sure what Goal Zero are going to do though because as far as I can tell, all their cables now have these finger proof connectors on them, but most (all?) of their Yeti battery packs have the old style on them. I don't think they will mate correctly.

I got the 8mm combiner to Anderson cable from them, and the 8mm to Anderson, and they both had the finger proof connector on them which totally threw me.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I just picked up a fridge at NWOR and I've been trying to figure this out. What deep cycle battery do you recommend that won't break the bank?
I like Odyssey batteries, read up about them. Not the cheapest, but they last the longest, so cheaper in the long run. Stuff the biggest one you can into your vehicle. And when determining which one to purchase, all things being equal, a battery twice the weight of another battery will have twice the juice in it.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Goal Zero is definitely a good option.

More re aux batteries and fridges:
I installed the National Luna Intelligent Split Charge (dual battery) System and it has "issues", particularly that the harness connection on the battery condition display is very fragile, gives up periodically and the connection must constantly be bent back to its operable position to work.

See Overland Journal Summer 2017 where they tested dual battery set ups and recommended the Intelligent Battery System (IBS-DBS) as being the best.
Also
Lithium Ion batteries are improving greatly, do your homework here. Someone makes a Group 31 lithium ion battery, however it is ~$1300, BUT LI batteries last something like 6 times longer, DO NOT care if they are discharged to a low state, and have MUCH more "juice" in them. Regular batteries do NOT like being discharged and one can only take them to something like 50% of their capacity. And LI batteries are MUCH lighter!

My next "house" battery will likely be a LI battery but at this point my starting battery will remain AGM as the LI batteries for starting still are not the best option.