Anyone Have an Overland Vehicle Systems RTT?

• HTML tutorial

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've been searching for a RTT for quite some time now, my budget is on the low end so I've been going back and forth between a Smittybuilt or Ruff Stuff tent to keep it around the $1k range. While searching for RTTs on Amazon I came across a nice tent it seems from Overland Vehicle Systems, the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 Extended Rooftop Tent. It's a 3 person tent slightly larger than those offered by Smittybuilt or Ruff Stuff with a lot of features at the price point I'm looking at. Problem is when I search online there is not a lot of information on this company, they have a nice Facebook page but their company website is blocked by my work Proxy server. I can't even find a YourTube video so I'm guessing they are fairly new. Based on the description I'm considering taking the plunge but if anyone has had experience with them please let me know good or bad? Yes I searched on here and didn't find anything.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think I might just take a chance on this, shipping timing will put it close to a trip to MS I want to take it on!

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
The lack of reviews gives me hesitation. Have you looked at used RTTs in your area? Always tons where I am. Many hardly used at all, in great shape and within asking price of the referenced tent.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Absolutely no used ones in my area, Florida is not a big Overlanding state. Company is based in California, checked out their Facebook and customers seem to be happy. I went ahead and took a chance, I've read negatives good things about Smittybuilt and Tuff Stuff and originally was going to go with one of them. I took a chance and ordered one, guess I'll be the first to review one here and other places! I also liked the fact it was gray and will match the color of my truck LOL!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I pulled the trigger on the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 yesterday through Amazon and their 18 month no interest offer! It is scheduled to arrive August 15th as long as I can be present to sign for it. I figure with Amazon it's a no risk purchase, if it doesn't match the description I can send it back. I know Smittybuilt only has a one year warranty and I can't find the warranty info for the Tuff Stuff RTT. Overland Vehicle Systems RTT has a 4 year warranty.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I pulled the trigger on the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 yesterday through Amazon and their 18 month no interest offer! It is scheduled to arrive August 15th as long as I can be present to sign for it. I figure with Amazon it's a no risk purchase, if it doesn't match the description I can send it back. I know Smittybuilt only has a one year warranty and I can't find the warranty info for the Tuff Stuff RTT. Overland Vehicle Systems RTT has a 4 year warranty.
As long as the company is still around in 4 years should you have an issue. Some of these new "overlanding" companies don't last very long. Hopefully you will not have any problems. One thing I will give Smittybuilt is that they have indeed been around a long time.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
As long as the company is still around in 4 years should you have an issue. Some of these new "overlanding" companies don't last very long. Hopefully you will not have any problems. One thing I will give Smittybuilt is that they have indeed been around a long time.
I did check out their Facebook page and website before pulling the trigger. They actually have a few nice products they offer for Overlanding I'd be interested in buying once I pay off the RTT! My goal is to pay it off long before the 18 months no interest plan is up.

Reactions: Dusther210

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well it arrived today, package is in pretty good shape, one hole on the other side not in the pic but doesn't look like it did any damage. I have to get the bed slide done this weekend so I can mount it up on my rack and check it out, sure wish it was a cooler time of year!

Overland Systems RTT.jpg

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

Great! you are going to love it!!! I bought the smittybilt overlander XL and its great!
I couldn't wait more than a day to install it! LOL

Smatts

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Maine
First Name
Matt
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1HOI
Any updates? How are you liking it so far? I'm currently considering giving this tent a chance as well

Reactions: SmileyMo

whiteflood

Rank 0

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Moose
Been looking around for one. From the pictures, tent looked nice and well built (not saying much since I haven't seen it in person) for the price point. Let us know how it turns out!

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I was going to suggest used RTT. They're going for about $500-$700 in my area. You're a bit far from CA lol

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well just spent 3 nights in the tent in MS and all I'm going to say is it was awesome! Well built tent with a great mattress, slept like a baby. Mattress is solid, no lumpiness to it, just a nice comfortable firmness to it! I've slept in a lot of beds that weren't this comfortable! This should greatly improve my chances during hunting season this year, now I have a place to stay and get a good nights sleep after a long day of hunting! Of course it will be great for regular camping too, I've never slept as good as I did in this tent
in a ground tent!

Tent on RTT Rack.jpgRTT Tent on Rack.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looks good! Keep us posted on how it holds up. It's a little bigger than what I'm after, but I'm definitely interested in all of the "budget" options out there...

-TJ

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It will sleep 3 comfortably, mattress is 63" wide making it just a tad bit bigger than a Queen which is 60" wide. For $999 you can't beat it!