Anyone Have an Overland Vehicle Systems RTT?

• HTML tutorial

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It will either be my 2 boys and I or my wife, 11 year old and I! My guess it will mostly just be two of us!

SpencerK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho
First Name
Spencer
Last Name
Kunz
I’ve used mine a couple times. The tent looks exactly like CVT models and the materials are great quality. My mattress came with a very small rip and the company sent me a new cover, very good customer service.

Only complaint I guess you would call it is the covered area uses a “U” shaped pole to hold the cover in place and it requires a few extra steps to putting up the tent then the same when putting it away.

RTT is a love hate relationship. I put mine up for sale after realizing how much work it is setting it up and putting it away. Then taking it off my truck to store and reinstall it when we use it. Then I realized my children absolutely love the stupid thing so I retracted my ad and decided to keep it.

Recently I installed the RACOR lift system in my garage which allows me to get it on and off my truck by myself which has helped make things easier.

Don’t rush into it. Lots of lightly used ones up for sale for deep discounts. Spend as little as you can to get a taste for it. Be able to get rid of it for what you paid for it or close to it in case it doesn’t fit your desires.

316552B6-D482-4940-A695-3BD3AE0BDECF.jpeg540B839E-921B-4CFF-805C-4324F6D87141.jpeg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@Viking1204 how is your OVS tent these days? I’m considering buying one but there are very little reviews out there. Any likes, dislikes?
I'm loving it, I've used it 3 times now and every time I've slept extremely well. Holds up to heavy rain too and I didn't get a drop inside the tent. I have setting it up and down to 10 minutes and that includes removal of the cover, that is much faster than I can setup a normal ground tent with the poles. I'm sure the new popup style ground tents would be better but again I like being up off the ground and away from all the critters and creepy crawlies! Another advantage is during heavy rain you are high and dry, I've been to Talladega before and seen ground tents flooded with 6-8 inches of water, that won't happen with a RTT tent on a rack 6' + up in the air! Packing up probably takes about 15 minutes and that is mostly just taking a little extra time to make sure the cover is on good since I'll be leaving my tent on the truck from around October through April or May. I plan to only take it off during the really hot months when I know I won't be camping, I just don't sleep well when it's muggy and the temp never goes below 80 at night!

Last edited:

Harper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Atlantic beach, FL
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Harper
I'm loving it, I've used it 3 times now and every time I've slept extremely well. Holds up to heavy rain too and I didn't get a drop inside the tent. I have setting it up down to 10 minutes and that includes removal of the cover, that is much faster than I can setup a normal ground tent with the poles. I'm sure the new popup style ground tents would be better but again I like being up off the ground and away from all the critters and creepy crawlies! Another advantage is during heavy rain you are high and dry, I've been to Talladega before and seen ground tents flooded with 6-8 inches of water, that won't happen with a RTT tent on a rack 6' + up in the air! Packing up probably takes about 15 minutes and that is mostly just taking a little extra time to make sure the cover is on good since I'll be leaving my tent on the truck from around October through April or May. I plan to only take it off during the really hot months when I know I won't be camping, I just don't sleep well when it's muggy and the temp never goes below 80 at night!
Thats good to know. I just ordered one today. Doing the KAT in a few weeks and want to make it easier with the family. Especially since camp will be at a different spot every time. Much better than setting up and breaking down a full size tent over and over. Thanks for the good reviews and input.

Reactions: Viking1204

Tshamblin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Shamblin
I found this thread when trying to research OVS rooftop tents and after seeing what people were saying here I bought one. I figured since this thread helped me decide to get it, I would share some info:

I got the Overland Vehicle Systems TMBK 3 person tent. Out of the box there was no damage, and it feels like good quality materials. It didn’t come with any instructions though. There is one YouTube video of someone installing another tent from OVS, and the procedure was the same for the TMBK. I haven’t slept in it yet, but it did rain this morning when I had it open and no water got inside. The mattress feels good, I will try to let you guys know if it doesn’t hold up over time. Overall I am impressed with this tent so far.

If anyone has any specific questions about this tent, I will do my best to get you an answer.

Attachments

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have an OVS 270 degree awning and their service and quality are very good there is a thread on the 270 OVS Nomadic awning on this site if you want some more feed back on OVS products and service. I am glad I cam across this post since I have been kicking the idea around to get a RTT.. But I am just not sure I need one yet since my Tahoe is set up with a 5 inch memory foam sleeping pad inside now...

Harper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Atlantic beach, FL
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Harper
I also have the OVS TMBK. For what it is its great. Did 6 days on the KAT with wife a 3 and 1 year old. plenty of room for all of us minus sleep kicking and baby fingers in your ears and 4 in the morning. haha. Tent help up great no leaks and we had 3+ days of rain. We love it.