jayfoo

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Mid-Atlantic Area
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Foo
Hello Folks! Sub as i live in Frederick and looking to get out on some trails (just starting to get back out camping and 4x4'ing). Obviously after the current affairs settle down! Be safe

Last edited:
Reactions: MDBIGHORN

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eldersburg, Maryland, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Would love to get out for a meetup when the Corona settles down. Im in Eldersburg, MD and my RTT should arrive this week!

Reactions: jayfoo

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Did you guys know you have a overland outfitter here in Maryland? Backwoods Overland is in Mount Airy.

we’d love to offer local assistance!
HEY NOW! I didn’t know that! Wish I would have known! I’ve just bought my RTT online.

Do you have a website?

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
What comms network is everyone around here using?
I have used CB’s for years but would like to switch the GMRS if others are on it as well.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

GMRS has been purchased... Waiting on it's arrival.
Don't forget your license. ;) At least you should be able to do that online since there is no test. I WAS on track with studying for a ham tech ticket when everything started shutting down, so who knows when testing will be available again. :(

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Don't forget your license. ;) At least you should be able to do that online since there is no test. I WAS on track with studying for a ham tech ticket when everything started shutting down, so who knows when testing will be available again. :(
Yeah, I saw the license requirement. I’ve heard most folks don’t, but From what I’ve read it should cover everyone in the family so in gunna go ahead and get it.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Yeah, I saw the license requirement. I’ve heard most folks don’t, but From what I’ve read it should cover everyone in the family so in gunna go ahead and get it.
It does cover everyone in the family. I believe it's good for ten years and cost $75.
What radio did you get? It's on my short list to get one.

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
It does cover everyone in the family. I believe it's good for ten years and cost $75.
What radio did you get? It's on my short list to get one.
I got the midland micro mobile mxt400 figured I’d go for the 40 watt since I’ve already got handhelds.
And I usually end up in front of a group, or picking up stragglers so a little power won’t hurt.
Also got on board air coming to install since everyone’s shut down right now, it’s a good time for projects.

Reactions: John Bishop

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
What’s everyone doing while we’re on lockdown. Any cool projects?

So far I’ve installed my RTT , ordered on board air, just put my GMRS radio in. Thinking my next project will be a rack for the rtt. It’s currently bed height and I want to raise it about 14” off my rails. I’m still mapping out some auxiliary lighting and a dual battery setup.

Yuke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Yuknis
What’s everyone doing while we’re on lockdown. Any cool projects?

So far I’ve installed my RTT , ordered on board air, just put my GMRS radio in. Thinking my next project will be a rack for the rtt. It’s currently bed height and I want to raise it about 14” off my rails. I’m still mapping out some auxiliary lighting and a dual battery setup.
We use the RCI racks often at the shop. Theres a 12" option, would that work?

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Went ahead and decided to build my own rack.

2" x 3" rails for the sides bolted through the stake bed slots, with compact trailers rack towers and cross bars I made at work. Turned out great so far. Need to pull it all back apart, round all the edges, add tie down points, sand, paint and add some options to hold my traction boards, jack, DIY Road Shower and a slot for my table.

I'm super impressed with how it turned out so far and I've only for about $100 in it.

Attachments

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Recently joined and also from Maryland. Looking to get out and meet some others in the community and do some exploring. Anyone have anything coming up?

-DOM
I don't know of anything, but I'm new to the area and looking to get out exploring. I'm also military, so with the DoD stop travel order, I have to stay within 100 miles of home, which is a bit of a problem for me

Reactions: Nomadik Nova