Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
If you're interested in getting out with other Subaru's, some of whom are OB members, there's a good Mtn Roo Midatlantic chapter based out of Maryland. We have a weekend event planned for April 22-23 if you're ok with driving a couple hours to Bald Eagle State Forest in Pennsyltucky.

Chon K3DHS

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Montgomery Village, MD
First Name
Chon
Last Name
Gann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K3DHS
Seeing quite a few members up in the far north over here on the east coast. Seems that Maryland is still considered North East even though we're a little far away from where the action seems to be. Would love to find out where the local overland community likes to explore around here.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
Hi Mikey,

I am new to the OB group but I saw your post, I am in Maryland (Gaithersburg area). There are a handful of other OB around this part of MD. But Always looking to meet up for a day trip...outside of the OHV parks in PA/VA the best places I have found are GW National Forest in VA...in fact just got back today from a run out to Peters Mill Run off I-81 in Edinburg. If you like the coast/ocean then Assateague Island near Ocean City is a great place, especially for camping. Although the OHV permit requirements are steep for the vehicle and there is a limited number of rigs allowed out on the beach OHV side.

If you have found some other areas, please share as we are always looking for other places.

Thanks
Chon

Daniyal Syed

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello, I am in Maryland as well (just joined OB). I have tried Assateague Island, MD and Rauch Creek park, PA. Both are amazing, I visit Assateague most often for both camping and OSV driving. It would be great to know more over landers in the area and locations.

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'm from Lexington Park in southern Maryland. If any of you are headed to Assateague Island, let me know. I have never been in that area of Maryland before and would like to explore that area. I also need some answers to questions that I can't seem to find on the internet about that place.

1. Is there overnight camping allowed on the OSV area?
2. Are camp fires allowed on the beach? Are fire rings provided on the beach?
3. How strict are they about bringing in firewood from outside the area. Can I bring firewood with me from my home here in Southern Maryland?
4. How bad are the horses? Will they just go through your camp and destroy it?

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Afternoon!

I am up in Falling Waters WV but very close to Frederick.

@Al_Maryland

- they do not allow camping on the OSV trails.
- camping is only allowed in the state or national park camp sites.
- no restrictions on firewood, we normally buy from local vendors on the road into the park(usually $5 a bundle).
They are pretty lenient on fires on the beach.
-we have had a couple horses come through are camp site but they move on pretty quick.

Definitely interested in doing some OSV driving and camping if we can get a good group together!

Daniyal Syed

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I am planning a day trip soon, I have camped at Assateague a few times - always a great experience. I would recommend staying on the MD State Camp site, because of the availability of hot showers and very clean bathrooms etc... lastly if you drive on the OSV opposite side of ocean city, apparently there is Tom's cove where you are in the middle of two beaches... essentially the atlantic on one side and the other Tom's Cove... I am up for a group trip if we can get something setup

Justin Roach

Rank I

Traveler I

Hey guys I'm from the Frederick area and glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been looking into some trails in northern VA in the GWNF.

If anyone has some easy trials that they know of let me know. My rigs isn't very capable but I'm still willing to get out there and push the limits.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #