Any Preppers/Threepers?

• HTML tutorial

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Food, water, shelter, security, sanitation, hygiene, and healthcare. Humans can survive a lot. It just depends how comfortable you want to be :-) For me, prepping has become a hobby...
View attachment 9700
NOTE: Sorry for the double post of this photo. It appears two threads got merged.

I take my hat off to you. That is excellent work. Mine in comparison is paltry, but I really don't have the room at the moment for more than a couple of months worth of food. That is going to change in the new year as we have our house on the market and are looking at buying a small 5 acre homestead which has a few outbuildings and the main house has a cellar. This will give me significantly more room than I have now to increase what I have. One of my main achievements has been in dehydrating the produce from my garden and some that I have bought in. I have around 70 Kilner jars which I have done over the last 12 months. Some of it I am beginning to use as its approaching 12 months old. Mainly in stews, soups and casseroles.

Prepping not so popular in the UK as it is in the US.

Reactions: Kelly

Bergi85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orem, UT
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Bergesen
Member #

@utspoolup Yeah I know, I'm definitely not the norm around here. My wife is from Thailand and "food storage food" has never appealed to her. But we need to change that, she has even mentioned we need to have more food stored.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

As mentioned, short term food stuffs in basement pantry. If you have pets do not forget them. We have a little pomchi, not a defense dog, but it will get your attention if something is going on, but little dogs equal little poop and little food. My daughter also loves him and he is good for her so hes part of the family.

As for the food stuffs, The big can rack in the middle of the 3rd photo is the built up one from "shelf reliance" in American Fork Utah. They do not sell it like this but you can buy the parts to build your own, after looking at their site just now, the prices are WAY up. Glad I got mine when I did, this rack is about 7 years old and is amazing. The width of these are fully adjustable. The top 5 racks are for the standard 14 oz can diameter or smaller. I have 30 rows of this size can, each row holds 17. I also have 4 rows of XS cans, These are your tomato paste or small sliced olives, or chilies or the like. There are 23-24 cans available in these rows. Campbell condensed soups are odd sized, they fit 20 per row. The bottom row is for your "medium sized" cans (like 30oz whole tomato size). I have cans ranging from the 50 oz pineapple juice to canned chicken, each row holds 11 cans, with 7 rows. The top shelf is super solid and its used for Peanut butter, salt, sugar, flour, etc. Just in cans on this rack there is the availability for 702 cans. It is typically 90% full, so its ALOT of food alone. There is typically 8 jars of Peanut butter on top which is a good dense calorie food. In cans I keep a few rows of chili (Stagg Country Sweet Pepper is my favorite), It also has canned coconut milk that improves rice ALOT and is used in sauces and has 2 rows. Canned pumpkin has 2 rows as well and I use it for soup, dessert, egg substitute, tomato sauce substitute (lasagna or baked ziti is amazing with pumpkin and spinach instead of tomato sauce) high in vitamin A and fiber. There are a metric ton of beans which fiber, amino acids, and are good, some varaites are black, kidney, refried pinto, refried black, maple baked, grilling beans- bourbon brown sugar, pork and beans, black eye peas with bacon, and bean and bacon campbells soup. There is also large cans of chicken (33 of them), as well as sweet potatoes which are also high in vitamin A. Fruits, veggies, etc round out the mix.

Off to either side are "cansolidator can racks" these are the deeper 16" versions (they do make a shallower version for home cupboards as well) on the metro racks. They are cheap and great for the just getting going in food storage. Also made by "shelf reliance" there are other similar manufactures but I liked these the best. Helps they are only 25 minutes away. They fit 10 standard cans, 7 medium cans, 11 condensed campbells soup cans, and 8 chunky soup cans per row. There are 196 cans in these. From whole chilis, tomatillos, canned meat, which can start a verde out nice. Enchilada sauce, more chili varieties, canned milks, base soups (cream of chicken and cream of mushroom) more veggies, processed cheese, and some fruit.

On the shelves are trays made of boxes holding pudding, gelatin, yeast (alot of yeast I bake tons), peanuts, jerky, packaged beans/ peas/ lentil/ rice, stocks, pickled veggies, pasta, noodles, pasta sauce, hot sauce, condiments, toppings, boxed milks, cocoa/ cider, about 70lbs of flour, about 20lbs of corn meal, a few specialty flours (tapioca, potato, and the like) oatmeal, apple sauce, dog treats, syrups, jams, salsa, cereal, and canned meats. This is where the inventory is nice and placing things by types in the trays.

I keep several juice varieties, water cases (at least 20), liquor (2 cases of bourbon alone... my drink of choice), wine, soda, flavored waters, and other things as well.

Add this to what you find in the average homes fridge, deep freezer, pantry, cupboards, and then the long term food stuff, its a crap ton of stuff, literally a TON. Just in rice I have 1400 lbs in buckets, there is also wheat, beans, lentils, split peas, sugar, honey, and slat. Then toss in a hundred cases of #10 cans to augment this. Its retarded, takes about an hour of work a week to maintain plan, and update. But Im not really sweating the small stuff.

Hope everyone has a safe week as depending on the outcome soon, there may be riots in a few areas, and likely war within the year.... Hope not but there is not really any other foreseeable outcome either way. Be safe, stay alert, and keep the powder dry friends.

E

expeditionnorth

Amazing how prepped you guys are
shelter, water and food
I used to be one long before my injury
was a forum member on ZS if any of you know what that is
whats scary is that if folks know what you have, you'll be targeted in a time of crisis when they have none
for gear I'd add a IFAK too

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

No one around me knows anything other than Im the pissed off Marine down the street that the druggies down the street do not dink with. Other than that, Im just the guy who sits on the front porch drinking whiskey and coke out of a pint and a half mason jar.

And I use to be a active member on zombie squad. Think I started frequentying that site back in 2002. Im the other guy (not woodswalker) that use to post up hikes and camping with Kifaru gear. So yup FAK is in my preps.

E

expeditionnorth

No one around me knows anything other than Im the pissed off Marine down the street that the druggies down the street do not dink with. Other than that, Im just the guy who sits on the front porch drinking whiskey and coke out of a pint and a half mason jar.

And I use to be a active member on zombie squad. Think I started frequentying that site back in 2002. Im the other guy (not woodswalker) that use to post up hikes and camping with Kifaru gear. So yup FAK is in my preps.
reminds me of "Grand Torino" thanks for your service

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Im pretty jealous of some of the prepps you guys have out there. Hopefully when i have a permanent place to live i will be able to stock up. For now everything needs to fit on my rig to move around.

JKUOverland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Prepping used to be such a personal thing and more of a way of life. I grew up keeping a well stock 'hurricane supply' utility room. Only used the gear for back yard camping as a kid until Hurricane Andrew. After 30 years of practice it was the piece of mind and giant safety factor that we didn't need to venture out to find supplies. I have extensive preps from 31 years of Fire/Medic and USAR employment, where does everyone put all the stuff? From tools/jacks, EMS gear and assorted camping needs?

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Wondering if I could get some of you tech types that might also be preppers to take a look at this video....

The utility of night vision on a vehicle is tempting for so many reasons. I am aware that I could do this for about $4k for the FLIR system similar to the one used on some high end vehicles - this is definitely a budget version but looks like it would work well and I am wondering what it would take, do you guys think, for a shop/Car Toys/or shade tree mechanic to do?

Thanks for any input!!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm hesitant to divulge my prepped status, but my truck aka bug out vehicle is a rolling billboard for the fact that I prep. The primary reason my truck is outfitted the way it is is strictly for bug out purposes.. But we also have multiple food stores and water stores for bugging in as well. Shtf will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I'm hesitant to divulge my prepped status, but my truck aka bug out vehicle is a rolling billboard for the fact that I prep. The primary reason my truck is outfitted the way it is is strictly for bug out purposes.. But we also have multiple food stores and water stores for bugging in as well. Shtf will happen, it's just a matter of when.
Great rig, great philosophy and respect for OpSec!! Clearly you know what time it is - I agree that SHTF will happen and it is different for all of us but thinking the government can, or will, take care of us in those circumstances is not only naive, it is dangerous. Really dig the rack and I have that seen that trauma box in reviews and other places -- great choice!! Take care and stay safe!! My truck is also my BOV and stays stocked with the "immediate" items and can easily be uploaded for a variety of scenarios.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

If this thread interests you, you should check out survivortruck.com, Jim Delozier builds some preety impressive bugout/survival trucks. I reccomend wathching the videos on both trucks.

Survivor Truck 11.jpg
Survivor truck.jpg