Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

Thank CP!
Just thought you should know... That quote is from a poem in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Fellowship of the Ring".

The full text is as follows
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Since I am a member of an offroad club, we follow the California 4Wheel Associations regulations. They have a whole list of basic safety stuff we are required to have with us on runs. Check out their website

First Aid, shovel, Jack (doesn't have to be hi-lift), radio, basic tools to fix your rig, etc
Good idea to enforce basic equipment. Another idea along the same lines... When headed out with a group, it's a good idea to decide your driving order. This can be based on a laundry list of things (experience, ground clearance, winch availability). This can be even more important when coming back DOWN if you have any damaged vehicles. Ensuring you have winches, gear, and tow-capable vehicles where you need them can make the difference between a few hiccups and hours of delay, and a trailside disaster that lasts leaves people or vehicles stranded.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I suppose this hobby, Overlanding, attracts a certain number of "us" kind of folks. By "us" I mean the threepers/preppers. A major focus of my truck and hobby of Overlanding has been off grid living/preparing to be able to sustain independently, navigate, route and many of the skills that Overlanding entails. I don't spend as much time as I would like in the outdoors and spend more money on my truck than I should - but it's a lot of fun and who knows it might pay off big one day ---- "The Day After!"

This will be a great thread to watch and there are a couple of others I will pass on -- like all else having to do with prepping/survivalism/off grid issues there are some politics (that turn some off) and the rest of moderate folks who like to talk gear/realistic scenarios and actually get out and use the stuff!!

This one at Tacoma World is on again/off again....

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/any-fellow-survivalists-utilize-their-truck.185417/

One over on ExPo....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81783-Doom-and-Gloom-Folks

A couple that you may already know about....

www.shtfplan.com

http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

And the TONS of videos on YouTube about BOV (bug out vehicles) and all the "advice" that goes along....there are a LOT of crosspoints between Overlanding/Zombie Apocalypse/Survivalist and Camper stuff...........

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I don't spend as much time as I would like in the outdoors and spend more money on my truck than I should - but it's a lot of fun and who knows it might pay off big one day ---- "The Day After!"

This will be a great thread to watch and there are a couple of others I will pass on -- like all else having to do with prepping/survivalism/off grid issues there are some politics (that turn some off) and the rest of moderate folks who like to talk gear/realistic scenarios and actually get out and use the stuff!!

And the TONS of videos on YouTube about BOV (bug out vehicles) and all the "advice" that goes along....there are a LOT of crosspoints between Overlanding/Zombie Apocalypse/Survivalist and Camper stuff...........
I think we can agree on all that, haha!! I've also decided that when I pay off my truck, I'll be working towards buying a Pinzgauer 710K (hardtop version). Will be the ultimate overlander/camper/zombie-crusher! :grin:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
IMG_0489.JPG
I think we can agree on all that, haha!! I've also decided that when I pay off my truck, I'll be working towards buying a Pinzgauer 710K (hardtop version). Will be the ultimate overlander/camper/zombie-crusher! :grin:
Dear god.. now I want one haha.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I knew there was a reason I should stay away from this place!!!

I am in ❤ with that truck............

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I got really deep into the "what if's" a few years back and starting prepping for anything. I won't say I've got my Bug Out Bag packed, but I sure as heck know what goes in it and where in my house to find it all. It makes me feel more relaxed having things stored and not just waiting at the ready for the fallout, riots, whatever could happen.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I got really deep into the "what if's" a few years back and starting prepping for anything. I won't say I've got my Bug Out Bag packed, but I sure as heck know what goes in it and where in my house to find it all. It makes me feel more relaxed having things stored and not just waiting at the ready for the fallout, riots, whatever could happen.
:grinning:

Reactions: RaggedViking

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Great gear lists and suggestions everyone! Besides gear i would suggest training. Wilderness First Responder (WFR)Courses are helpful for the back country or everyday life. Other subjects i always try to learn more about; Firearms safety and handling, communications and signaling, Food procurement(hunt and fish), basic survival skills, Medical training, recovering techniques and auto repair.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I would suggest you read the stuff on the forum. Especially the Boot camp. There is soo much information there.
Read and watch it and take what you think suits you.
Getting prepped for Overlanding doesnt mean you need to discover the wheel again.

Enjoy the reading.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

All of the aforementioned widgets are great - but no one has brought up CASH. You should always have some cash in your wallet in case your get into a jam.
I tend to keep $20-40 stashed in the truck (so I won't spend it) - you never know when you're going to get into a jam and run into someone who needs a little convincing to help you out.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

All of the aforementioned widgets are great - but no one has brought up CASH. You should always have some cash in your wallet in case your get into a jam.
I tend to keep $20-40 stashed in the truck (so I won't spend it) - you never know when you're going to get into a jam and run into someone who needs a little convincing to help you out.
I just keep a couple bottles of Vodka in my rig to.....uhhh.....Trade? Or drink...

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Nice!
When im on a long roadtrip i like to keep some cash in my pocket so if i ever get mugged and need to hand over my wallet i still have some money. I also keep some hidden in the truck. Which reminds me. I need to replenish that!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Nice!
When im on a long roadtrip i like to keep some cash in my pocket so if i ever get mugged and need to hand over my wallet i still have some money. I also keep some hidden in the truck. Which reminds me. I need to replenish that!
Another reason to have a little extra cash - you just never know what's going to go down.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice!
I keep my wallet in front pocket and carry my Glock 19 on my back lol.. I don
t get mugged lol ;)