Any one run 2 sets of tires? One for Daily driver and one for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Good Day all,

I'm considering putting a small lift and some sliders on to my otherwise stock 97 Tacoma. for the last 20 years this truck has run on Michelin AT(x/2) 31's Great tires for on road, quiet and run for 80-90k miles a set, but the tread leaves much to be desired for off road use.

I was considering getting a set of rims and some 33" tires after I lift the truck. That way I can switch out the setup for my weekend adventures, but run the road tires for day to day use. I think this would save wear and tear on both sets of tires for a bit of headache to switch them out and back.

Any one out there doing this? Pros / Cons?

Boort

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I have thought about it before. The only downside i keep coming up with is depending on how active we are. We try and go out every weekend or at least every other weekend. So some months we would need to swap tires every Friday and Sunday. It seemed to be alot of work . Just my thoughts.

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I'm thinking of doing the same, but let's face it, these tires ain't cheap. Five rims and tires will set you neck a couple grand, then you gotta store 'em and constantly be swapping them. Seems like more of a pain in the add than it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I did on my Jeep CJ until recently. I had one set of mud terrains and one set of all-terrains.

Same theory as those who have to switch to winter tires.

Randy

Good Day all,

I'm considering putting a small lift and some sliders on to my otherwise stock 97 Tacoma. for the last 20 years this truck has run on Michelin AT(x/2) 31's Great tires for on road, quiet and run for 80-90k miles a set, but the tread leaves much to be desired for off road use.

I was considering getting a set of rims and some 33" tires after I lift the truck. That way I can switch out the setup for my weekend adventures, but run the road tires for day to day use. I think this would save wear and tear on both sets of tires for a bit of headache to switch them out and back.

Any one out there doing this? Pros / Cons?

Boort

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

I run two sets, ATs during our really hot summer(4 months) and MTs(8 months) ish...give er take a month. Going camping, hiking in 95+ humid weather isn't fun, so on go the ATs and enjoy the A/C and quiet ride for a while.

OB#3799

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I run 2 sets, pizza cutter muds for the winter and wider AT for the rest of the the year for the majority of my travels. It all depends on the type of terrain you expect to encounter.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Similar to others, I run ATs most of the time and have a set of MTs on a spare set of rims.
Run the ATs most of the time, when in use as a daily driver, then fit the MTs if the planned trip warrants it, or if I'm not sure what we might encounter.
Maybe been lucky, but the ATs have coped on a lot of trips without a problem 99% of the time, it's that 1% that catches you out :tearsofjoy:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

All Thank you for the Info. It's good to hear what others are doing as it helps me to plan and decide wht will work for me.

Boort

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
IMHO just get a good set that'll fit your needs all around. Most AT tires out there offer good on and off-road performance, good life, and minimal road noise. I currently run Yokohama Geolander AT/s's on my rig, but am considering the BFG KO2's for the next set. I see no need for an MT on my rig as I do a lot of road driving being that it's a DD. I have never really needed anything more aggressive.

Reactions: Vin

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

OK. I know this is a 180, but it looks like I'll be running 2 sets myself. I got a great deal on a set of AT's on 18" Wrangler rims, so it's the original 20's for the street and the 18's for the dirt. Now if I can just keep the wife from killing me for taking up more space in the garage, that'd be good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I ran 285/75r16 duratracs for the street and 315/75r16 Maxxis for Off-road. Changing them out wasn't too bad, but I just decided to keep the 315's on from now on. 285's we're looking pretty small on a 4" lift on the FZJ80. Haven't looked back since.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I can see the pros for this method but I think the cons outweigh the pros given the tire options we have today. There may be some cost savings with two sets of specialized tires but it comes at the loss of valuable real estate in your garage and time to swap them out.

I used to run Tera Grappler G2s on my truck, suburban and Jeep. They are good tires but leave a little to be desired offroad. I recently switched to Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep and these tires are outstanding. I have no tire noise on the highway at any speed. I've had no issue with performance in rain or on dry pavement either. I've yet to encounter any snow or ice. Offroad I have been really impressed with the performance.

I can't imagine significantly better performance from a highway tire or a trail tire so for me personally, I could not justify two sets of tires. I think Ridge Grapplers are the best thing going in AT tires out there right now. You might want to check them out before you go with the two tire option.

Disclamer: I do not work for Nitto. I can't even find a discount on them. I really appreciate the quality of their product though.

MT_Denali

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Helena Montana
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

Everyone will have a different answer as everyone has different ideas of what overland is and their terrain they drive in. I live in Montana and run dedicated snow tires (Michelin Xice) once the snow hits and have my BFG KM3s for summer. I vote two sets!