Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan
First Name
John
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

I think that Tinker, Michiganoverland and RyanC are trying to plan a trip to the UP for next summer. I think the general plan it to try and go end to end of the UP avoiding paved roads and checking out the sights along the way.
That sounds like something to be apart of.. Wife and I are going from White fish point to the tip of copper harbor peninsula on dirt this summer.. Hopefully our adventure camper will be ready by then..

Reactions: Andy G

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
I think that Tinker, Michiganoverland and RyanC are trying to plan a trip to the UP for next summer. I think the general plan is to try and go end to end of the UP avoiding paved roads and checking out the sights along the way.
2017 was the first year there wasn't a UP Overland trip put on by the Roam guys. We ended up going up camping the end of July/beginning of August for about a week. A funeral back home cut it short. There are a lot of resources on the upoverland.org forums for places to go. They haven't been super-active lately but there is still a lot of info. Plus I know a few but I am one of those that don't put some of my favorites out there anymore. A couple of them have been overrun in the last few years. There are a few I share though.

I would love to participate in a UP trip next summer. It will depend on how far along my recovery is at that point though. I am having a MAJOR surgery in a few weeks and it has a loooong recovery. I have been going up there the last 10 years camping. I really don't want to miss one!

Reactions: Tinker

Jaun98

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan
First Name
John
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

2017 was the first year there wasn't a UP Overland trip put on by the Roam guys. We ended up going up camping the end of July/beginning of August for about a week. A funeral back home cut it short. There are a lot of resources on the upoverland.org forums for places to go. They haven't been super-active lately but there is still a lot of info. Plus I know a few but I am one of those that don't put some of my favorites out there anymore. A couple of them have been overrun in the last few years. There are a few I share though.

I would love to participate in a UP trip next summer. It will depend on how far along my recovery is at that point though. I am having a MAJOR surgery in a few weeks and it has a loooong recovery. I have been going up there the last 10 years camping. I really don't want to miss one!
Hoping all goes well with your surgery. Also hope to see you on the trail..

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Best of luck healing up!

I can hardly wait for trips to the UP, & some local friends of mine are interested in joining the wandering around up there too. Getting excited to make 2018 a good one :)

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Maybe a Drummond trip too? Not sure how hardcore you guys want to get. I have taken the ORV Route out to Marble Head. Been there. Done that. There is enough to occupy a couple of days wandering the island and not have to be in a hurry. I might even share one of my spots!

This was on one of the nicer parts of the ORV Route a couple years ago. It was sorta dry that time there. This is my buddy Cody's FJC. He is usually tagging along with us.

This spot will hold as many rigs as you want! I don't like huge groups though. 3-6 is good. I know of a couple other good spots too.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Fantastic shot there & oh man I wanna get back to Drummond for sure, especially with a group. Doing it solo earlier this year during some wicked flooding really limited my access to areas & kept me from a lot of the trails.

Reactions: RyanC

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

The good news: the new site forum is active. It is still a work in progress but does offer a better forum system than using Wordpress.

The bad news: there is no way to migrate those of you who have signed up for the old one to the new one. If you want to use the site forum, you will have to re-register.

It will be continuing to go through some style changes and updates with features, but it should stay live through those. Join up, start some discussions. This was put in place to bring together some folks on here who do not use Facebook or social media and those folks who use the Facebook group.

Reactions: Tinker and RyanC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
The good news: the new site forum is active. It is still a work in progress but does offer a better forum system than using Wordpress.

The bad news: there is no way to migrate those of you who have signed up for the old one to the new one. If you want to use the site forum, you will have to re-register.

It will be continuing to go through some style changes and updates with features, but it should stay live through those. Join up, start some discussions. This was put in place to bring together some folks on here who do not use Facebook or social media and those folks who use the Facebook group.
I jumped in head first with a post about Comms.

Reactions: michiganoverland

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I jumped in head first with a post about Comms.
I saw that. I think I have a document going with some commo information from the last time we talked about it. I'll have to finish it and get it posted.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

New OB member here, just joined up this morning. I'm putting together a Meet n Greet on the MI Overland Facebook page, but it was suggested to let y'all in on things as well, so here I am! If I can get things figured out here I'll create a rallypoint event, but It's going to be Saturday evening January 27th somewhere in the GR area.

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

A buddy and I are planning an 8 day trek around the UP this fall...not totally sure on dates yet. Just know we'll be starting/ending in St. Ignace and heading west. Wanna hit the breweries up there and do some fly fishing. Planning mostly dirt other than pavement when we have to. Would like to get to the Keweenaw Pen, Copper Harbor, etc.

Reactions: GatorDoc

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

That sounds like something to be apart of.. Wife and I are going from White fish point to the tip of copper harbor peninsula on dirt this summer.. Hopefully our adventure camper will be ready by then..
Wanna share your route? I think you replied to my Facebook post on Michigan Overland page.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Had 7 turn up for the Meet and Greet yesterday in GR; seem like a bunch of cool folks. I'm going to try to get another one going in a few weeks, I'll keep y'all posted.
Nice! That's pretty good numbers. [emoji106]

When it warms up I'm gonna do a campout/meet & greet. We did one last year and it seemed to work well.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We had a local artist help us out with a new logo and some other graphics we can use for stuff. I'm currently polling to see if there's anything in particular we people want this on.

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

We had a local artist help us out with a new logo and some other graphics we can use for stuff. I'm currently polling to see if there's anything in particular we people want this on.

These are my 2 favorites...weather resistant decals for the rig are a must...a patch...maybe a hat? T-Shirts would be cool, too...

Reactions: michiganoverland