Another Subaru Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Lookin g pretty good out back, pick it up Friday. Haven't seen the work on the front bumper yet and the rear will have a drop down table behind the gas cans. Built by Stellar Built in Sacramento, CA.

View attachment 103777
This looks amazing! I hope to fabricate something similar for my Forester soon.

@alamocityfoz Consider the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on my 2018 FXT. I run them for winter offroading (sometimes in snow, sometimes not, but lots of wet ground regardless). They do very well. I love 'em.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK, got it back home and I must say Stellar did some fine work on these bumpers. Well triangulated and the tow points are braced straight back into the mounting points on the body. Dual swing rear carrier is solid and when you try to move the tire it moves the whole car. I'm very satisfied with the work they did on this custom bumper. Now I must massage the front skid plate so it won't grade the trail.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
One thing I did notice when I had the front bumper installed was that the car kept throwing a code. Check Engine Light was on, Cruise Control And X-mode indicator lights on dash were flashing. Did some investigation and found that the Active Grille Shutter was the culprit. The motor was electrically connected but not installed to the shutter mechanism. We believed the motor was over rotating and kept throwing the code. My son and I took the Dremel and cut down the active grille and reinstalled the motor. We then mounted it back behind the license plate. Well low and behold the code cleared and has been fine since. So a word of warning the computer of this vehicle keeps track of all that we take off and doesn't like it removed. Simple fix once we discovered this and just wanted to pass on the info. Also want to thank another member and Subaru owner, @Liana Lehua for her help in this.

Reactions: JCWages and rvrgrip

rvrgrip

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Simi Valley
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Griffith
Member #

One thing I did notice when I had the front bumper installed was that the car kept throwing a code. Check Engine Light was on, Cruise Control And X-mode indicator lights on dash were flashing. Did some investigation and found that the Active Grille Shutter was the culprit. The motor was electrically connected but not installed to the shutter mechanism. We believed the motor was over rotating and kept throwing the code. My son and I took the Dremel and cut down the active grille and reinstalled the motor. We then mounted it back behind the license plate. Well low and behold the code cleared and has been fine since. So a word of warning the computer of this vehicle keeps track of all that we take off and doesn't like it removed. Simple fix once we discovered this and just wanted to pass on the info. Also want to thank another member and Subaru owner, @Liana Lehua for her help in this.
View attachment 106337

View attachment 106338

View attachment 106339
Awesome bumpers! lookin great, bud. congratulations! Glsd you found the culprit on the cel"s

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK, getting the Outback ready to head to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada and the Arctic Ocean in a few weeks so finishing up a few items. Got the lights all wired up and set. Now to clean up the wiring . Here is a link to that adventure:
Alasaka Bound
Follow here or on Instagram.

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
Terry, that's a hell of a build. I am about to put my Gen 5 3.6 Outback through such a custom build. And perhaps because of that, might I ask some questions?

1. How much weight was added to the vehicle? I am asking because I am not sure whether the weight of the bumpers will mean a lift via taller springs, or whether strut spacers are fine;
2. Did you have to relocate your washer fluid reservoir?
3. Did you relocate the rear-view camera?

But congrats. That thing is looking A-1.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Terry, that's a hell of a build. I am about to put my Gen 5 3.6 Outback through such a custom build. And perhaps because of that, might I ask some questions?

1. How much weight was added to the vehicle? I am asking because I am not sure whether the weight of the bumpers will mean a lift via taller springs, or whether strut spacers are fine;
2. Did you have to relocate your washer fluid reservoir?
3. Did you relocate the rear-view camera?

But congrats. That thing is looking A-1.
1. I am not sure of the weight addition but I have a 2" ADF lift along with King Springs that are 20-25% stiffer. Stellar was glad to hear of this. I would also look at the Rally Tech springs.
2. No need to with the 2017 2.5 Outback.
3. Not yet, it is totally blocked bu the table. I will relocate it along the bottom of the spoiler on top of the hatch.

Connor_Dobbins

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Northwest Chicago Suburb
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Dobbins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHW455
After my adventure to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT, Canada up the Dempster the tires were very tired (pun intended). So I ordered new wheels and tires. KMC wheels with 38mm offset and 245-65?17Fallen Wildpeak AT's.
View attachment 118660
View attachment 118662View attachment 118661
Most Subaru bumper deletes don't look that great and just look like the car is missing a bumper. However this rig looks amazing without the stock bumpers! Job well done and I'm sure you're loving that extra bit of approach angle you got!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Most Subaru bumper deletes don't look that great and just look like the car is missing a bumper. However this rig looks amazing without the stock bumpers! Job well done and I'm sure you're loving that extra bit of approach angle you got!
Thanks they do a great job with the custom build

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The bumpers look fantastic, especially with the new wheels! How does the front bumper effect your MPG? Also, what were the road conditions up at Tuk like?

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
The bumpers look fantastic, especially with the new wheels! How does the front bumper effect your MPG? Also, what were the road conditions up at Tuk like?
Bumpers and RTT have taken a toll on the mileage. On the trip, 6,300 miles, I averaged 22.7. But that is with about 1,300 of those as gravel, dirt and mud.
The Dempster is a pretty easy road. Very muddy when it rains with washboards. Easily to do in a stock Outback. My lift and springs helped with the added weight. See post here with photos.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
How do the BFG All-Terrain KO2's handle on the road with rain and snow? I have been looking at getting some but worried I'll lose too much traction in those conditions!
I never had trouble with the ko2s. Handled everything great. Just thought I’d try a different tire this time around. Living in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain and snow.

Connor_Dobbins

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Northwest Chicago Suburb
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Dobbins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHW455
I never had trouble with the ko2s. Handled everything great. Just thought I’d try a different tire this time around. Living in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain and snow.
That's good to hear! I've heard of people having issues on other All-Terrain tires not necessarily the KO2s but I figured they should hold up with rain and snow with a Subaru. It's probably a combination of the tires and larger truck that causes issues in snow for others.

Reactions: JCWages