Android GPS Radio headunit

• HTML tutorial

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders OB3153 checking in.

Been looking at upgrading my stock radio in my '05 ford f150 with a double din Android radio with GPS in it. (using for on and off road navigation) Reason I am looking at Android head units is because...

1. Can use android apps like
GAIA for Navigation off road and Google Maps for city to city GPS.
(also thinking about getting LeadNav Wifi GPS puck)

Torq pro for constant information how my truck is running in real time information thru the OBDII.

2. I also can use Pandora/Spotify for jamming out to music.

3. Many other free downloadable apps at an easy touch. like radio scanners for Police and fire. Could even hook Netflix up if need be. Can hook up Bluetooth devices like keyboards and speakers to use as a mini Computer.
Also could Download the OB Talk app so I have it right there in my truck.

SO my question really is. Would these seem to be a good Navigation device, or should I look at using something different/better?

here is a few examples of what I'm looking at.(click the links) below
Pyle

Corehan 7

Any Input or Ideas would be awesome.
thank you

Reactions: 4runnerrudy

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

The only comment I can make about a Double Din units, from experience, is that if one part fails you have nothing while that part is being repaired.

I have an Alpine double din unit that is great. But it is now out of the vehicle being repaired. So now I have no GPS, Speed tracking, Reverse Cameras, Hands-free phone or Music. :confounded:

Personally for me, I think next time I will be looking at individual devices. These also have their own problems. Securing a GPS unit for when you leave the vehicle.

Colin

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

The only comment I can make about a Double Din units, from experience, is that if one part fails you have nothing while that part is being repaired.

Colin
Well my back up incase said radio were to fail would be my cell phone with the same apps installed. can switch over that LeadNav puck over to my phone. So I guess the main reason of using the radio is because it is mounted in the dash, and makes it a convenience being located in the center so other members in the vehicle could operate with out using my phone or their phone.
Thank You for bringing that up failure was something that did not cross my mind.

OverlandRecon

Rank II

Advocate II

The only thing holding me back from getting one is the lack of SiriusXM support. I've used them before, and do like the, but they are not super reliable.

Last edited:

OverlandRecon

Rank II

Advocate II

Can you elaborate on this please?
Well thanks for quoting my typo:).

Start your research here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units

They can be very buggy, and you need to be prepared to tinker. I bought one from a company called Pumpkin as a gift for my father in law. It worked great until we went into the settings and changed the start screen to the pre-installed VW logo. It shut down and never restarted. I spent a lot of time trouble shooting, and the company sent us new firmware to try, it did not work. I ended up returning it. The company was willing to replace it, but I don't think my in law was interested. I liked it so much that I would be willing to deal with the headaches, just need Sirius XM.

Last edited:

4runnerrudy

Rank III

Influencer II

Georgia
I've been keeping my eye on these myself. I love the idea of having a full Android radio/GPS setup but have also seen that they are buggy in their current states. The concept seems pretty simple, but I guess until we have some of the bigger companies (Samsung/NVidia/Sony...or heck Google themselves) jumping into the head-unit space with their tablet tech it may be slow going.

I've also pondered just taking an android tablet with a HDMI output on it and hooking it up to a head unit that accepts HDMI as the input, but then the controls would still be on the tablet so it's not ideal. If you find anything that works well please share here!! I'll be subscribing and try to do the same because there is tons of potential here

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i know you get what you pay for, but it's hard to resist the cheap ones on ebay. anyone have experience with those? a friend has a $200 one and loves it, and no issues so far.

i never thought about the everything down when one part down before, but really i have all the pieces separately and would still bring them along (handheld gps unit is small and i take it for hikes away from the truck anyway). and no music would be a bit of a bummer, but i'll live if it goes. i usually have my windows down anyway. at least in summer, so music sound quality is not that important.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Any progress on these? The CD player failed in the X the other day so I'm going to start shopping for one soon.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Any progress on these? The CD player failed in the X the other day so I'm going to start shopping for one soon.
I have had an ATOTO Android based radio for several years. It was out of date when I bought it, but still works today! This radio is easily found on Amazon and has a lot of support. Audio output isn't audiophile quality, but it sounds better than my factory radio did.

Other than the occasional reboot that wasn't expected (every couple of months) it performs flawlessly. I will say it is far easier to navigation apps on my phone versus the vertical screen in the rig. It is easy to use the radio for navigation when following a bread crumb trail that has been plotted out.

I regularly run some of my favorite apps on the radio:
- Backcountry Navigator Pro (with offline maps)
- APRS Droid (it also integrates with BCN for a neat experience)
- Torque Pro
- Google Maps (with offline maps)

When shopping, buy the radio with the most internal storage space and ram you can afford. While you can add a micro SD card, I have found running apps from the SD card is sluggish. If you run several GPS apps at the same time, additional ram will keep the functionality smooth. I would also suggest installing a screen protector. I managed to scratch the heck out of the display after using the radio when it was covered in trail dust.

1567000486612.png

1567000932296.png

Reactions: TerryD

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have an eonon unit in my colorado, and it's not terrible. The music distorts at high volumes, and if I run a GPS program for too long, it hard resets.

I plan on switching to a joying unit in the future (they're supposedly the best overall). But overall, I think it's a really cool unit, and works well overall. Newer joying units have a dsp that sounds amazing, from what I hear.

lugueto

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Ugueto
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YY-5-LIU
I'd love to get an Android head unit to run Torque Pro mainly, or city navigation (Waze, Goodle Maps). I'm not willing to sacrifice reliability and while I'm not particularly picky about music, I will hate it if music quality is noticeably bad.

Has anyone any comment on the Joying unit?

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have also been looking at these. There are 10" models for both our jeeps. I am so tempted to get one so that we have an integrated mapping solution. It also works with our iphones as well. I think having 10 inch screens built into our jeeps would be a great addition.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'd love to get an Android head unit to run Torque Pro mainly, or city navigation (Waze, Goodle Maps). I'm not willing to sacrifice reliability and while I'm not particularly picky about music, I will hate it if music quality is noticeably bad.

Has anyone any comment on the Joying unit?
I commented above about them.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Awesome guys! I'll look into a Joying unit. I've wanted to do this for a whole bit the budget hasn't allowed.
Want to see what you end up with, I'm still all '99 factory (cassette/radio)! Time to upgrade at least to a bluetooth unit so I can take calls while driving. The ability to have built in nav is very appealing.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Want to see what you end up with, I'm still all '99 factory (cassette/radio)! Time to upgrade at least to a bluetooth unit so I can take calls while driving. The ability to have built in nav is very appealing.
The biggest benefit to the Android based radio is the consistent updates to various mapping apps, like Google Maps. Coming in well under 1/2 the price of a name brand Nav radio, I am not sure why you would consider anything else unless you need a high end sound system. And they natively come with Bluetooth compatibility, just like any Android tablet.

firecraft13

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Waco, Texas, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Hickman
Member #

I have a 01 S10 and am doing some upgrades to it currently. Among the list is a new double din head unit to act as a base for future upgrades. Such as multiple cameras, displays, various entertainment purposes, etc. I would prefer to have an Android system due to my familiarity with it. After all, that's what my Kyocera rugged phones have been running for years now.

So far everyone has listed great reasons why to go with this platform. And how helpful they are across the board. But I was wondering how they stand up to rugged use?

I split my time between running around city streets, doing 80 - 95 mph down the high way, and basically running an off-road challenge course just going down my drive way. Let alone what it takes to keep the place up. (30 acres of left to nature land split by a deep ever changing creek. With the house on the front half.)

Being that a S10 is space restricted on the interior anyways (even though my is a crew cab). Mounting multiple devices isn't realistic unless I want to loose what space I do have. Not to mention I will most likely have a small service dog with me the majority of the time. Don't want him running into them.

Would anyone be able to provide any suggestions?

This truck is my daily driver, and long term project at the same time. Eventually it will be my "go anywhere, any time, for how ever long, with someone else and my dog truck."

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams