ALNSM Overland Rig - 97' SF5 Subaru Forester.

• HTML tutorial

ALNSM_Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meulan, FRANCE
Member #

Hi guys !

After my own presentation it's time to introduce my rig wich is currently "in progress" (well, like most of our rigs ...)
But first of all, I'm gonna briefly explain to you, what leads me here.

I own, for about 3 years now, a Volkswagen Mk3 Variant. This is a great car, I love it ! It's reliable, economic (mpg, insurance, parts) and very spacious.
As a car guy, it was impossible for me to leave it bone stock so I modified it a bit ...

Yup, it's not really overland-ready !

Low coilover suspension, stretch tires, wide wheels, tires rubbing fenders and chassis scraping the floor !
But after a year rolling like that, I was a little bit bored of this form over function stance, and as a daily driver it wasn't very convenient ...
I also wanted to travel, discover new, wild places and riding spots and it was impossible to do that with it.
So I chose a (really) different path and this is what it gave :

I lifted it a bit and add some travel equipment, that's already better !
But even after all that, it didn't feel "strong" and smooth on light, gravel trails, so I decide to look somewhere else ...

I was looking for something relatively cheap, strong and reliable. I didn't look for "big" 4wd like Landcruisers, Defenders ... because everything is so much expensive with these cars ... And I finaly came across this little but very capable SUV (for me, the first gen is more like a big AWD wagon) : the Subaru Forester. I start digging the french version of craiglist, and after a few months I found THE forester !

So, it is a 1997 SF5 Subaru Forester with the EJ20 122hp motorisation, dual range manual gearbox, 240 000km (149,129miles) on the clock , with all the options that I wanted except for the color (Eurk ...)
I bring it from the South West of France: 900km without any problems
Main work to do: a clutch, a major overhaul.
Price : 900€ (1000US$)

I've already started to work on it, I'm gonna post that later !
Thanks for reading me !, Once again, I precise that I'm French and I do my best to write a understandable English for you guys.

Last edited:

ALNSM_Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meulan, FRANCE
Member #

Well, something happenned today !

The badge is finally on !

Now, it's time to lift this little foz a bit !

ADF 2" Lift kit and Pedders SG Forester struts with heavy duty springs in the rear !

I don't post much here, you can follow me on IG for more stories and updates on the foz @sxs_alnsm

Thanks !

kanevex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Calera, AL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
R.
Member #

This is an incredibly neat build.
I love the color change. Keep up the good work!

ALNSM_Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meulan, FRANCE
Member #

I have no problem understanding your english, keep it up! :)

EDIT: Dude! Love your video! Please make more :D (and I plan on visiting France next summer)
Thanks a lot!
There will be one video every week! (well I'm gonna try :grimacing:)
And let me know when you are in France, maybe we can meet if you are around !

WOW you Scubbie guys do some amazing stuff! What sort of paint did you use?
Yeeah ! the Subaru Offroad community is getttin bigger and really serious over time !
The paintjob was a big moment for me ... I'm used to paint little parts but a whole car is really different !
I've used spray cans. To be more specific it was graffiti spray cans made by Montana (spanish brand) and I'm pretty happy with how it turns out ! It's gone through heavy rain, offroading, snow, frezzing temp, high pressure wash ... I even drop my garage door and a rake on it and it's still like the first day !

Thanks again for the love ! :smiley:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I'll let you know, I'll be in France sometime around early to mid june and will be staying in the Normandy area from the 5th to the 9th of june. (will probably be exploring some of France after those dates for a little while).

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

Nice build on the Subaru. I will be looking forward to watching your adventures on Youtube. I don't know much about the wild/natural places in Europe, and hope you'll explain where your adventures take you.

ALNSM_Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meulan, FRANCE
Member #

I'll let you know, I'll be in France sometime around early to mid june and will be staying in the Normandy area from the 5th to the 9th of june. (will probably be exploring some of France after those dates for a little while).
Awesome ! Keep me in touch :wink:

Nice build on the Subaru. I will be looking forward to watching your adventures on Youtube. I don't know much about the wild/natural places in Europe, and hope you'll explain where your adventures take you.
Thanks mate ! Yeah i'm gonna show and explain all of this in my videos

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Love the build! I need to find something like that for a daily driver. (off to Craigslist I go...)