Alaskan Trooper build

• HTML tutorial

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Hey guys! My name is Adam I'm up here in the frozen tundra.

I have always loved overlanding, The idea of having everything I need in my truck is awesome. Its alot like my fetish for Swiss army knives lol

A few months ago I picked up this 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS with the intent of making it an overlanding rig to take my wife and I all around Alaska this summer.

Pics!, its why we come here right?

When I brought it home for the low low price of $750

I spent the first couple Days fixing little stuff like the broken key in the ignition I have since broken 4 more keys, I need a solution.

The insides, Oh yeah ITS A STICK!

I found a steal on a set of 265/75/16s for $150. they look almost new.

Now On to the fun stuff!

3" lift recipe, add one set of 782 ( might change to 784) coils, 1.5" daystar ram 1500 coil spacers, ball joint spacers and new shocks.

This is sadly the only pic I have in process, I was working by myself in a bit of a time crunch.
you can see how much Higher in the rear it is.

Decided to flex it out a bit

The rear wasnt even flexed all the way, I think the truck would have tipped before it maxed out.

When I did the lift I installed rancho rs5144 shocks in the rear. Then I put skyjacker m9552 in the front.
I dont put stickers on my shocks.

A set of grade A chineseium manual hubs to get me by till I find Asins.

And finally After a bath today, its still dirty..

Thats pretty much where I am at for now.

Future plans are;
Repair all the broken stuff. theres a long list, I'll try to post it when I fix it.
33"ish tires, not really sure on the exact size yet.
Front locker, 2 options, ARB or LOKKA. guess which on I can afford?
Shim rear LSD or weld it. We shall see.
Snorkel
Winch
CB
MOAR LIGHT
Tint

And before too long, a sleeping platform for the back. I have a few ideas and a rough plan, its going to be heavy but it will hold up better than my last attempt, this time it will be METAL.

There was an earthquake.... and my wife and I broke it.. yeah... earthquake..

That was in this truck, Way too small inside.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Subscribed! Love troopers, love the time I spent in Alaska, so it follows I will love this build. [emoji41][emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Big changes in Trooper land.

I bought a near identical parts truck, so this

is now this!!

not a huge change but it makes me so happy.

I also fixed all the door hardware, at some point the truck was attacked with a slim jim. none of the door latches or actuators worked right.

The parts truck had a complete set of functioning window switches so I can actually roll down my windows.

The parts truck also had an inside door handle on the rear gate, So I stole that too. should come in handy after the sleeping platform is built.

Theres a handful of other stuff but thats the important bits.

Oh wait.. I also ordered a set of 295/76/16 BFG KO2 tires and some 2" wheel spacers. guess thats kinda important right?

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Got quite a bit done in the last few days.

Installed some HD tie rods to handle the force of the larger tires.

295/75R16 BFG ATKO2 on factory wheels. it has 265/75R16 in this pic.

They tuck pretty good. lots of clearance.

Got an alignment and did a few tune up items. I bought a set of NGK spark plug wires and matching copper core plugs. Made a really big difference.

I dont have any pics of it setting level but I'll get some to post.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

IT'S A STICK!!!! That thing will never die. Gonna be a fun build to watch. I have a 2002 that has some major work coming its way. Needs an engine. Probably going to do a swap. In the coming years. Have fun, the trooper is a great platform.

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Been a while, I'm still here though.

So since my last update, I installed 2" wheel spacers and Fixed the windshield leak/rust

ALWAYS USE PROPER FOOTWEAR..... thankfully there was no rust through.

Little filler primer, and some fresh glue all told for removal and re installation I'm out a mere $40.

And here's how she looks for now, gettin there!

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

So I had a crazy idea.

This one is a Photoshop, there is no second axle. This is however exactly what I'm thinking.

So I have a parts truck for my Trooper that is identical in every way, as a bonus the engine and trans are already gone.

I have nothing better to do with it than make a trailer.

I do not plan to drag it down the trails, more of park it at the trail head or campsites as a home base.

I have a few ideas already, but everything is still up in the air, so feel free to give some suggestions.

When I start the build I'll post a build thread in the trailer section.

Last edited:

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So I had a crazy idea.

This one is a Photoshop, there is no second axle. This is however exactly what I'm thinking.

So I have a parts truck for my Trooper that is identical in every way, as a bonus the engine and trans are already gone.

I have nothing better to do with it than make a trailer.

I do not plan to drag it down the trails, more of park it at the trail head or campsites as a home base.

I have a few ideas already, but everything is still up in the air, so feel free to give some suggestions.

When I start the build I'll post a build thread in the trailer section.
Any progress on this?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Any progress on this?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sadly, no. I have the parts truck at a friends place and he works 2 wks on 2 wks off and last couple rotations hes been busy so in a few weeks I should have it where I can work on it.

I did however get the go ahead from my money manager, she thinks it'll be alot of fun.

AKghandi

Rank II

Advocate I

Update time:

So the trailer build will not be happening, the DMV says I need title to the parts rig to turn it to a trailer, the title is pretty much non existent as the truck was bought from an auction and the paperwork was never filed and then lost.

I will probably build some kind of trailer at some point, but for now we continue on.

I added a hitch receiver and wires, and I also replaced both front CV's

And before I scrap the parts truck I grabbed a few skid plates I was missing, and most of a factory exhaust, enough to have it exit the rear of the truck anyways.

I even made a couple youtube videos with terrible camera work!