Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

T
I'm another potential planning my AK journey in 2019. I have watch too many youtube video to know not to miss a good spot. I'm from the east coast and this trip would be 12k miles minimal.

A warm soothing mineral bath will freshen your body and prep it for the long driving journey. I love hot springs.
Also some hot springs in the interior near Fairbanks you've probably seen in your planning. Pretty big OB crew up that way it seems like. Let us know before you get here!

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

We find that keeping our one dog (an anxious Catahoula) in a small restricted space, or even cage when crossing a border or travelling seems to help maintain his calm. We've also had friends who have had good success with the Thunder jackets on anxious dogs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
We actually had him medicated a few years back for about 1 1/2 yrs. and decided we could work with him to break his anxiety..It worked..no more pills.. But his older "brother" was put down back in May and his new younger "brother" kinda takes over the back seat and has a bit more energy. The guy {his name is Scout} in avatar pic to the upper left is real submissive. Its in the breed. We have a thunder jacket that we used in the past and it "sorta" worked for him but not like we had hoped..I'm going to order an XX large K9 Ballistics dog bed, remove my trucks rear seat bottom and build them their travel bed.. Hopefully giving them more room on a comfy bed will help..an 8 year old flat coated retriever and a 2 year old mix Malamute..

Reactions: trikebubble

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Drove from Anchorage to Rochester NY in 2016 in September/October. We only stayed in campsites the whole trip. Brought 2 5 gallon fuel cans with me and didn’t touch them. Since it was off season a few of the campgrounds we passed were closed, but that was more on the US side. Total we took 17 days, but several of those were from staying extra nights in Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, and the Grand Tetons. I know it was already mentioned, but Laird hot springs was definitely worth stopping at.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

I'm in Jamestown, about 2.5 hrs from you..I'd love to have more time away from work to be able to make the trip like you did.. I may look into an extended leave type of vaca.. Not sure yet..

It seems that there are quite a few people that are thinking/planning this trip for 2019.. Maybe we can make it a cross country/cross border OVERLAND BOUND journey.. Seems to be in the making without us even knowing it..

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

Update! My plans are going along very well (thanks in part to info from helpful folks here). My dog has all his paperwork ready to go. Some updates to my set up are going well. I’m in the process of putting together my first CB system (ham will be happening later also, just not in time for this trip). I’m also learning about GPS. My final “tune up” trip before departing for Alaska is the overland expo! I figure it is the perfect place to learn more before I strike off on the longest (mileage wise) overlanding trip of my life! I continue to be open to any tips, tricks and info anyone has! It’s appreciated! Thank you!!

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Let us know the date of departure, mine is tentatively set for July 15-19 all dependent on the 4th grandson popping his head out of moms belly. I'll be leaving at that time from Vancouver, WA.
I still have a lot of prep to do also. Finalizing the GPS tracks.
Got my copy of the Milepost after it was reccomended here and it is a great source of info.
Enjoy your adventure.

Reactions: Lvfunnyfarm

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

Let us know the date of departure, mine is tentatively set for July 15-19 all dependent on the 4th grandson popping his head out of moms belly. I'll be leaving at that time from Vancouver, WA.
I still have a lot of prep to do also. Finalizing the GPS tracks.
Got my copy of the Milepost after it was reccomended here and it is a great source of info.
Enjoy your adventure.
I’m on the road anywhere from May 30- June 1. My Daughter is graduating so my departure will depend on the events that week. Safe travels to you!

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I've always wanted to visit Alaska, and until we discovered overlanding, it always seemed like a pretty daunting task. The more we get into this stuff, the easier it seems, and the more interested my wife is in going. At this point it's probably a few years off, but it's a bucket list thing for me to drive up there. As always, tons of good info on here. I hope to see some trip logs when you guys go!