Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

Planning my trip. Anyone traveled it? Time of year? How long did it take you to get to Alaska? Camping/campgrounds plentiful? Gas stations or need to bring gas cans? Safe or sketchy fellow travelers/neighborhoods? Would like to hear about your experience to add to my research!

LvFunnyFarm

Reactions: BigDogKona

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I am planning a trip next July up to that area what I have found so far is here https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/alasaka-bound.3806/ Along the main highway I don't think you'll have to much trouble as RV's do it all the time. When you get off the main highway I plan on carrying extra gas just in case. I'll be watching this for any additional info that is passed on to you. Have a great trip.

Reactions: Lvfunnyfarm

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Driving it 5 times round trip between Kodiak/Anchorage/Juneau to/from both Michigan and Virginia.
Planning my trip. Anyone traveled it? Time of year? How long did it take you to get to Alaska? Camping/campgrounds plentiful? Gas stations or need to bring gas cans? Safe or sketchy fellow travelers/neighborhoods? Would like to hear about your experience to add to my research!

LvFunnyFarm
I've traveled it round trip 6 different times. Twice in the winter. Once by Ural sidecar motorcycle. The other 3 times in various modes of transportation. Length depends on where you're starting from, and how much time you wanna put into it. Quickest I've done was Anchorage to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 6 days. Very hard driving and no sight-seeing. Not cool. Plenty of places to stop along the way. I never carried any gas UNLESS I was planning on venturing off the beaten path.

Get a NEW copy of "The Milepost" - that thing is worth it's weight in gold. They update it each year and it's invaluable as a planning tool. Mile by mile descriptions of all the major highways that are very detailed. Includes gas, restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, sightseeing stuff, etc. Double check when the new edition comes out (I wanna say May of each year).

Montaska

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Anchorage/Nikiski, Alaska
Member #

Driven up and down a few times in the summer and the last time was mid-october. Usually took 3 full days from Montana to Anchorage. I've always carried a fuel can just in case but I've never needed it. In fact, I think rarely my tank ever got below half since I would fill up in each of the larger cities.

Be sure to plan for poor weather including snow/hail, even in the summer.

Have extra food, water and warmth - if you happen to break down it can take quite a while until somebody is able to get to you, depending on where you are during the trip.

Road is paved the entire way other than where they are working on it.

People on the highway are just normal people, not any more or less sketchy than anywhere else.

It's an easy and relaxing trip.

Last edited:

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
We're planning an extended trip in 2019 and have begun research on various aspects as well.
One rule of thumb I use when traveling in unknown areas is to never let my tank get below 1/2 ...if I see a gas station and I'm about midlevel I stop and fill up...this paid off big time this fall when traveling in Nova Scotia where I was not able to find any fuel when my tank was half full until I literally had 1 gallon left in my tank when I finally did find one....and I have a 37 gallon tank!

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

+1 on ordering The Milepost. I bought the 2017 version as we are heading North in July and I wanted to read through it over the winter. To say it is a detailed piece of work would be an understatement. It is like the Bible of the North, and worth every penny so far as I can see.
Ordered Thanks!

LvFunnyFarm

Last edited:

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

Driving it 5 times round trip between Kodiak/Anchorage/Juneau to/from both Michigan and Virginia.

I've traveled it round trip 6 different times. Twice in the winter. Once by Ural sidecar motorcycle. The other 3 times in various modes of transportation. Length depends on where you're starting from, and how much time you wanna put into it. Quickest I've done was Anchorage to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 6 days. Very hard driving and no sight-seeing. Not cool. Plenty of places to stop along the way. I never carried any gas UNLESS I was planning on venturing off the beaten path.

Get a NEW copy of "The Milepost" - that thing is worth it's weight in gold. They update it each year and it's invaluable as a planning tool. Mile by mile descriptions of all the major highways that are very detailed. Includes gas, restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, sightseeing stuff, etc. Double check when the new edition comes out (I wanna say May of each year).
my copy just made it! So much info, thanks again!

LvFunnyFarm

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

My wife and I are a little past the beginning stages of planning a trip to Anchorage, from sw NY, sometime in 2019..Our nephew is in the AF there and we've flown up the past 3 summers. The plan is to drive in my '16 Tundra and bring our 2 dogs. I never thought that we need to have legal papers {shots and licenses} for the dogs when crossing the Canadian borders to and from. Took a 5 hr trip to WV a few days ago and realized our 1 dog might have anxiety issues. Can't get comfy and constantly pants..Its the small things we need to take into consideration as well as major possible issues like fuel and such.. Great post. I'm gonna be following along..

Reactions: Lvfunnyfarm

Derty Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Ill definitely need to pick up the MilePost book. Im planning a trip from AZ to Denali that will take place in a few years when my son is a little older and my Jeep is ready for a longer trip. Was looking for a book like the MilePost!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

My wife and I are a little past the beginning stages of planning a trip to Anchorage, from sw NY, sometime in 2019..Our nephew is in the AF there and we've flown up the past 3 summers. The plan is to drive in my '16 Tundra and bring our 2 dogs. I never thought that we need to have legal papers {shots and licenses} for the dogs when crossing the Canadian borders to and from. Took a 5 hr trip to WV a few days ago and realized our 1 dog might have anxiety issues. Can't get comfy and constantly pants..Its the small things we need to take into consideration as well as major possible issues like fuel and such.. Great post. I'm gonna be following along..
We find that keeping our one dog (an anxious Catahoula) in a small restricted space, or even cage when crossing a border or travelling seems to help maintain his calm. We've also had friends who have had good success with the Thunder jackets on anxious dogs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

We find that keeping our one dog (an anxious Catahoula) in a small restricted space, or even cage when crossing a border or travelling seems to help maintain his calm. We've also had friends who have had good success with the Thunder jackets on anxious dogs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
What’s a thunder jacket?

LvFunnyFarm

ExploreMoreX4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Columbus, GA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Bernstein
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Drove from Anchorage to Rochester NY in 2016 in September/October. We only stayed in campsites the whole trip. Brought 2 5 gallon fuel cans with me and didn’t touch them. Since it was off season a few of the campgrounds we passed were closed, but that was more on the US side. Total we took 17 days, but several of those were from staying extra nights in Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, and the Grand Tetons. I know it was already mentioned, but Laird hot springs was definitely worth stopping at.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I'm another potential planning my AK journey in 2019. I have watch too many youtube video to know not to miss a good spot. I'm from the east coast and this trip would be 12k miles minimal.

Make a point to stop by Laird hot springs in Alberta.

Come on north!
A warm soothing mineral bath will freshen your body and prep it for the long driving journey. I love hot springs.