Alasaka Bound

• HTML tutorial

Agplant

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

High Level, Alberta
Member #

I have made the trip "farther north" 4 of the last 5 years now, it is truly beautiful country. Working out routes and plans for next year again. Departure date June 29th.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
View attachment 41561
My wife and I did the trip to the Yukon and Northwest Territories to Inuvik At the end of the summer this year. Last week of August ,first two weeks of September , we went at that time of year because I wanted to be there for the autumn colours . The highway that you referred In your blog as the Dawson highway is actually called the Dempster Highway. I researched that area and all photos on the Internet for around 4 years And the photos don't do it justice , kind a like the Grand Canyon . We were gone for 22 days , no restaurants , no hotels and only six campgrounds. In that area do you want to be a self-contained as possible , that gives you options .We also did the North and S. Canol Rd. The best kept secret in Overland travel ,the North especially , very remote and spectacular but not for everyone. On the trip we traveled over 2200km of gravel roads .When we got back everybody went said it's a trip of a lifetime, I told them no I'm definitely going back .
Joe

Guess I got the roads mixed up thanks for the info. Revised my blog. Great info, I will be self contained and ready for wild camping. I can not wait to get up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSurferJKU

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Well I just got news that I am going to move the trip up to July sometime. It will be a flexible departure date at this time as I just found out I am going to be a Grandfather for the 4th time. They live in Washington State so I'll be there for the birth then head north on the adventure. More info the closer it comes.

Reactions: Carnivore and Steve

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Well I just got news that I am going to move the trip up to July sometime. It will be a flexible departure date at this time as I just found out I am going to be a Grandfather for the 4th time. They live in Washington State so I'll be there for the birth then head north on the adventure. More info the closer it comes.
Congratulations Terry !!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

@Terry Pickens and @Ric I was planning a trip to Alaska June 2018. I just got done watching the Overland Expedition series and there were some wicked areas that I definitely wouldn't want to do alone. I would love to go with some other guys and I'm fine pushing it back a little to July. But I do want to do go all the way north to Tuk since it's supposed to be done soon. But some other things like Salmon Glacier looked awesome and I want to see Banff NP, Glacier NP, etc. I'll definitely watch this thread. Heck, I could even start down in your neck of the woods as there are areas I want to see down south before it gets REALLY hot. I will probably then head back to CO and chill there for a couple of months and then hit Moab, Alpine Loop, Bryce, etc since my last trip earlier this year ended abruptly with a blown engine. So looking at doing a lot of travel in 2018 and deciding where I want to end up! I'll definitely be watching this post...

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

@Terry Pickens and @Ric I was planning a trip to Alaska June 2018. I just got done watching the Overland Expedition series and there were some wicked areas that I definitely wouldn't want to do alone. I would love to go with some other guys and I'm fine pushing it back a little to July. But I do want to do go all the way north to Tuk since it's supposed to be done soon. But some other things like Salmon Glacier looked awesome and I want to see Banff NP, Glacier NP, etc. I'll definitely watch this thread. Heck, I could even start down in your neck of the woods as there are areas I want to see down south before it gets REALLY hot. I will probably then head back to CO and chill there for a couple of months and then hit Moab, Alpine Loop, Bryce, etc since my last trip earlier this year ended abruptly with a blown engine. So looking at doing a lot of travel in 2018 and deciding where I want to end up! I'll definitely be watching this post...
Banff is VERY beautiful, but extremely popular and full of tourists. If coming north through Glacier NP in Montana drive the "road to the sun" from Kalispell/Whitefish to the East side (usually open mid-June) and then across the boarder and check out Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta. Take highway 40 from Coleman up through Kananaskis (first half gravel, then pavement) and work your way to the icefield parkway (highway 93) from Banff up to Jasper.

You're welcome ;)

My dad and I sat along a creek drinking our warm beers beside our bikes on the Denali highway. I said to him "Doesn't look much different than home here." To which he replied "No, but the beer is sure better back there!" Haha
I still want to go back!

The Salmon glacier and that whole area is truely breathtaking in person. Not to be missed.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
@SAC-CA-Runner and @Kelso I am planning to do those areas in my trip. Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Jasper, Tuk, Salmon Glacier and many more. My travel from Waterton to Banff will be along the 40, I saw that in my planning and I liked the smaller road north, great to hear it is a fun road. Sac it will be warm down here in the desert areas in June and July, if you are talking the sierras it will be nice. My starting date from here will be about a week before the new grandchild's birth and leaving Vancouver, WA will be predicated on the birth. I will update the thread as I hear more. Hope we can at least cross paths somewhere along the route and share some experiences. Sac I do have the gpx files for this route if you would like to see what I have so far.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

@SAC-CA-Runner and @Kelso I am planning to do those areas in my trip. Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Jasper, Tuk, Salmon Glacier and many more. My travel from Waterton to Banff will be along the 40, I saw that in my planning and I liked the smaller road north, great to hear it is a fun road. Sac it will be warm down here in the desert areas in June and July, if you are talking the sierras it will be nice. My starting date from here will be about a week before the new grandchild's birth and leaving Vancouver, WA will be predicated on the birth. I will update the thread as I hear more. Hope we can at least cross paths somewhere along the route and share some experiences. Sac I do have the gpx files for this route if you would like to see what I have so far.
Terry...that would be great to get the gpx files from you as the route you chose is pretty spot on to what I want to do. I read thru your blogs and I think it could happen we meet up. If I want to leave in June I could always go up to Grand Titans and/or Yellowstone even tho with the summer crowds Ill have to find places to avoid. Then I could head west to meet up. Depending on snow I'm going on a eastern Sierra trip in March. A lot is still in the air and will really start planning in Jan but your blogs and gpx will help a ton. I'll have to buy you some dinners or beers if we meet up for all the work you've put into it so far!

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Terry...that would be great to get the gpx files from you as the route you chose is pretty spot on to what I want to do. I read thru your blogs and I think it could happen we meet up. If I want to leave in June I could always go up to Grand Titans and/or Yellowstone even tho with the summer crowds Ill have to find places to avoid. Then I could head west to meet up. Depending on snow I'm going on a eastern Sierra trip in March. A lot is still in the air and will really start planning in Jan but your blogs and gpx will help a ton. I'll have to buy you some dinners or beers if we meet up for all the work you've put into it so far!

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
I'll send the file to you. Thanks for the dinner offer, I'll never refuse one of those. Keep in touch.

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

I ran into a issue
My grandma just passed away, she lives in Nebraska.... so this spring I need to drive out there to help with the estate, and sell the house.
I'm still going to try and do the Alaska trip this summer.... but most likely it will have to be next summer
By the way
I am currently in boardman Oregon, on my way to Courde d Alene Idaho

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I ran into a issue
My grandma just passed away, she lives in Nebraska.... so this spring I need to drive out there to help with the estate, and sell the house.
I'm still going to try and do the Alaska trip this summer.... but most likely it will have to be next summer
By the way
I am currently in boardman Oregon, on my way to Courde d Alene Idaho
So sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers are with you and your family. Have a safe trip.

Reactions: SAC-CA-Runner

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Now that is an
Would love to take a similar trip up north here in Norway someday and visit the arctic circle/north cape.
Now that is an adventure. I was up in Norway in 2104 but only on a cruise into the fjords up north, wife's health wouldn't allow for a venture into the inland areas. Was in Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen and the cruise for 3 weeks, really loved it up there. It really wetted my appetite to get back up there and explore more of your lovely country.

Reactions: Joey83

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Feel free to drop by any time @Terry Pickens :) just remember that it takes atleast 3 days to drive south to north if you don't cannonball it.
Thanks, oh if I get back there it will be for at least 4 weeks so I can take it slow and enjoy the area. How is it renting a motorcycle there for that trip.
If your ever over here in California let me know, would enjoy buying you dinner and a drink.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

My Wife and I (and the two dogs ) will heading North to Tuk in July. I've lived in BC for 99% of my life and so far have never been further North than Prince George. It seems a little disrespectful to my own homeland (a little) that we always seem to travel south for our adventures. I've been wanting to travel north for as long as I can remember, and it was the construction of the Highway from Inuvik to Tuk put me over the edge.
We've been planning for a couple years now, and I can't wait for July. We'll be heading up thE Cassiar Hwy, then straight up to The Dempster all the way to the Arctic. On the way down, I'd like to detour on the Campbell Hwy, then possibly down the South canol Rd. and head back to the Okanagan via Hwy 97.
Every single person who I spoken to , who has been to Northern Canada, has said two things: 1. They cannot possibly put into words the experience, and 2. everyone must go North at some point in their lives.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My Wife and I (and the two dogs ) will heading North to Tuk in July. I've lived in BC for 99% of my life and so far have never been further North than Prince George. It seems a little disrespectful to my own homeland (a little) that we always seem to travel south for our adventures. I've been wanting to travel north for as long as I can remember, and it was the construction of the Highway from Inuvik to Tuk put me over the edge.
We've been planning for a couple years now, and I can't wait for July. We'll be heading up thE Cassiar Hwy, then straight up to The Dempster all the way to the Arctic. On the way down, I'd like to detour on the Campbell Hwy, then possibly down the South canol Rd. and head back to the Okanagan via Hwy 97.
Every single person who I spoken to , who has been to Northern Canada, has said two things: 1. They cannot possibly put into words the experience, and 2. everyone must go North at some point in their lives.
Hope to cross paths along the way.