Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Got a link to your thread here, Re: your questions on the "Top of the World highway" from Dawson to Chicken, that road is very doable with the Suburu you mention, I have ran it several times on a bike. Was just up there again in June and the worst part was a couple miles of construction just east of Chicken. There is a stretch of about 10 miles of almost new pavement just west of the border crossing, on the Canadian side the road is good gravel till just about into Dawson where it is paved again. The border crossing is only open I believe from 9 till 9 so may need to keep that in mind as you travel through.
I am in the planning stages of a run north next June/July with the jeep & trailer and plan to do the Dempster all the way to Tuk. The extension of the road is going to be finished this fall from Inuvik to Tuk. June is a great time to travel as it never gets dark that far north. If you are going to run the Dempster or Top of the world the roads are coated with Calcium Chloride for dust control, which packs down close to pavement when dry but turns to grease when wet and gets onto and sticks to everything.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind with planning. Timing is still open so no set start date yet. I thought mid August start would be good for weather and crowds. Which means I wouldn't hit up there until September. Now, next is to check how the weather will be at that time through the entire route.

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

My dad and I rode bikes up that way a couple years back at the end of August. Top of the World and Denali highways were both dry and an easy ride, Denali was rougher so probably slower going by 4 wheels. If wet I'd imagine things would be VERY different.
Regarding weather, we had a crash and had to fly out of Ft. Nelson (northern BC) and I think 2 days later the region was covered in snow from a blizzard. I don't think snow and cold usually set in that early and in a car a snowstorm isn't a deal breaker so you "should" be ok I would think. If you don't want to have snow then definitely go earlier.

I should clarify, we left Calgary Alberta around mid august for what would have been 3 weeks.

If it were me, I would plan to be in Yukon, Alaska, NWT during August. Leave as early as needed to accomplish that and drive home as you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My dad and I rode bikes up that way a couple years back at the end of August. Top of the World and Denali highways were both dry and an easy ride, Denali was rougher so probably slower going by 4 wheels. If wet I'd imagine things would be VERY different.
Regarding weather, we had a crash and had to fly out of Ft. Nelson (northern BC) and I think 2 days later the region was covered in snow from a blizzard. I don't think snow and cold usually set in that early and in a car a snowstorm isn't a deal breaker so you "should" be ok I would think. If you don't want to have snow then definitely go earlier.

I should clarify, we left Calgary Alberta around mid august for what would have been 3 weeks.

If it were me, I would plan to be in Yukon, Alaska, NWT during August. Leave as early as needed to accomplish that and drive home as you like.
Nice to know, glad my start time is flexible right now. Thanks. Were you OK from the crash?

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Dad had a cracked rib and an ankle that bugged him for a long time after, but ultimately we were fortunate it wasn't worse. Watch out for loose gravel on the highway in that area, we saw a car on its roof too. They do a lot of chip-seal repairs and then every now and then put gravel just for fun it seems...

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
So far good but had to take a little break from doing anything. Had a lot going on with trips and just got back from Off the Grid. So now I should have time to get some more done. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: Carnivore

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
So far good but had to take a little break from doing anything. Had a lot going on with trips and just got back from Off the Grid. So now I should have time to get some more done. Thanks for asking.
Nice! Just happy to hear that it's still a "go". Was hoping for a positive reply so that's a plus :)

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

Ill
OK gang, here is my plan for a 45 (?) daylong adventure in either 2017 or 2108. This is still in the early planning stages so any recommendations of additional places to see along that route or more interesting roads to explore would be appreciated.

View attachment 12348

Praying it can come together in 2017.

Starting in SoCal I will be heading up Hwy 395 to the 36 and over to Lassen NP. From there it is up to Crater Lake with a resupply stop in Vancouver WA to see my son and family.

Then it will be off to Glacier NP, Banff NP and Jasper NP before heading up Canadian 97 and 4 to Dawson. Now does anyone know the road conditions for the road north out of Dawson along the Canadian 9 and US 4 to Chicken? I would love to make the loop north but I don’t know if a Subaru Outback with a 2” lift is capable on that road.

From there it would be down to Skagway to jump on the Marine Ferry System to Glacier Bay NP and to continue south on the ferry to Prince Rupert.

Getting off at Prince Rupert I would head to Prince George along Canadian 16. Then south along the 97 and 99 to Whistler, sneaking my way back into the US and heading east along the 20 to visit the Cascades and then head south along the 97, stopping to see Mt Rainier and the east side of Mt St Helens. Then it would be back to Vancouver for a little R&R then south along the coast and Hwys 101 and 1 back home.

Well what do you think?

Happy adventures to you all.
go with you, I've actually just started planning the same trip
Check out ExpeditionOverland on YouTube
They have a 12 ep series of their 45 day trip to Alaska

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Ill

go with you, I've actually just started planning the same trip
Check out ExpeditionOverland on YouTube
They have a 12 ep series of their 45 day trip to Alaska
Yes I watched it, I won't be doing anything that hard in my Subi by myself but it looked epic.

Reactions: SubbieOutnBack18

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I live in sw NY.. My wife and I have been to AK the past 3 summers :including this year}. Our nephew is in the AF and lives off base outside Anchorage..We've flown in to Anchorage and stayed in Wasilla. We've travelled to Whittier, Denali and Matenuska Glacier, among other various places..Our nephew is there until 2020 if not longer.. AS OF NOW, my wife and I planning on driving there in 2018, so far..and bringing our 2 dogs..We haven't solidified anything yet. We have a loose travel route. I need to get things set on my truck for a haul like this..Hopefully no hotel/motels but at this point, its hard to tell..I'll be watching this thread as well as the others..

Ric

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Walnut creek, ca
Member #

I've been thinking of the Garmin inreach, with my iPad linked to it
Still doing research on systems, but so far this is the one I like best
I like the fact that you can connect it to your iPad, while driving, but take the garmin with you hiking

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

I've been thinking of the Garmin inreach, with my iPad linked to it
Still doing research on systems, but so far this is the one I like best
I like the fact that you can connect it to your iPad, while driving, but take the garmin with you hiking
We’ve been using a Garmin inreach for a few years now and love it!! Perfect for when you travel off grid. You can still communicate with anyone in the world with their two way text service

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Rather than trying to rehash the information again, here are 3 links to my blog site on the latest efforts at planning this adventure. Again, still in the planning stages and would appreciate any information on additional places to visit.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Terry there are many OLB members in Calgary and through out Alberta when you know a rough ETA into Alberta we’ll organize a meet up!
Myself and 4 other OLB member rigs are planning a Tuck trip in August of 2018 as well! As I’ve done this trip once before in 2015 I have been itching to run it again..

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Terry there are many OLB members in Calgary and through out Alberta when you know a rough ETA into Alberta we’ll organize a meet up!
Myself and 4 other OLB member rigs are planning a Tuck trip in August of 2018 as well! As I’ve done this trip once before in 2015 I have been itching to run it again..

Sounds great would enjoy meeting some members north of the border. The starting of trip will be up in the air for a bit. Might have to move the start to mid July for family circumstances. I'll keep this post going with additional information throughout the year.

Canadian Joe

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

IMG_1200.JPG
Sounds great would enjoy meeting some members north of the border. The starting of trip will be up in the air for a bit. Might have to move the start to mid July for family circumstances. I'll keep this post going with additional information throughout the year.
My wife and I did the trip to the Yukon and Northwest Territories to Inuvik At the end of the summer this year. Last week of August ,first two weeks of September , we went at that time of year because I wanted to be there for the autumn colours . The highway that you referred In your blog as the Dawson highway is actually called the Dempster Highway. I researched that area and all photos on the Internet for around 4 years And the photos don't do it justice , kind a like the Grand Canyon . We were gone for 22 days , no restaurants , no hotels and only six campgrounds. In that area do you want to be a self-contained as possible , that gives you options .We also did the North and S. Canol Rd. The best kept secret in Overland travel ,the North especially , very remote and spectacular but not for everyone. On the trip we traveled over 2200km of gravel roads .When we got back everybody went said it's a trip of a lifetime, I told them no I'm definitely going back .
Joe