Alasaka Bound

• HTML tutorial

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Curious if you made this journey yet?
And if you’re currently on it I hope it’s going well!

OK gang, here is my plan for a 45 (?) daylong adventure in either 2017 or 2108. This is still in the early planning stages so any recommendations of additional places to see along that route or more interesting roads to explore would be appreciated.

View attachment 12348

Praying it can come together in 2017.

Starting in SoCal I will be heading up Hwy 395 to the 36 and over to Lassen NP. From there it is up to Crater Lake with a resupply stop in Vancouver WA to see my son and family.

Then it will be off to Glacier NP, Banff NP and Jasper NP before heading up Canadian 97 and 4 to Dawson. Now does anyone know the road conditions for the road north out of Dawson along the Canadian 9 and US 4 to Chicken? I would love to make the loop north but I don’t know if a Subaru Outback with a 2” lift is capable on that road.

From there it would be down to Skagway to jump on the Marine Ferry System to Glacier Bay NP and to continue south on the ferry to Prince Rupert.

Getting off at Prince Rupert I would head to Prince George along Canadian 16. Then south along the 97 and 99 to Whistler, sneaking my way back into the US and heading east along the 20 to visit the Cascades and then head south along the 97, stopping to see Mt Rainier and the east side of Mt St Helens. Then it would be back to Vancouver for a little R&R then south along the coast and Hwys 101 and 1 back home.

Well what do you think?

Happy adventures to you all.

Cu

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Curious if you made this journey yet?
And if you’re currently on it I hope it’s going well!

Cu
I posted June 22, 2018 that I had to postpone the adventure till this year. I had a grandson born teh end of July and a move from So Cal to Washington state in August that had me at ends of how to do all this in a short amount of time. New schedule is to leave July 21. 2019 for the Great White North. Route will be very similar but probably reverse itself. HAve some others interested in convoying up also so it should be a fun time.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Thanks everyone for all of the great info you’ve posted here. I’ll look for the other Alaska thread to see what lies in there as well. My wife and I will be headed on a similar adventure from So Cal next year 2020, most likely leaving in the springtime. We want to take our time and arrive in Prudhoe Bay sometime mid June-ish. We definitely want to see Denali. Our kids have been there and say it’s spectacular. We’ll cut across at some point into Canada and head East to the Continental Divide trailhead which I understand is somewhere near Jasper. We’ll take that South through the US to Mexico, and then cut back over to So Cal for leg 2 which will take us all the way down the Baja peninsula, ferry across to Mazatlan, then meander our way all the way down to the tip of So Am during their Summer. We’ll need to be at our most southerly point by February 2021, which will give us 7-8 months to get there from Prudhoe Bay. I have not started the route planning, but have any of you done this trip before? We want to enjoy ourselves and not make it a Cannonball run trip if possible. We may head Back North up the East coast of So Am, but then again, there is the option to put our rig in a container and ship it to So Africa for a trip up that Continent. I guess it depends if we’re still having fun! Thanks again guys.....your thoughts have been very inspiring. Cheers!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thanks everyone for all of the great info you’ve posted here. I’ll look for the other Alaska thread to see what lies in there as well. My wife and I will be headed on a similar adventure from So Cal next year 2020, most likely leaving in the springtime. We want to take our time and arrive in Prudhoe Bay sometime mid June-ish. We definitely want to see Denali. Our kids have been there and say it’s spectacular. We’ll cut across at some point into Canada and head East to the Continental Divide trailhead which I understand is somewhere near Jasper. We’ll take that South through the US to Mexico, and then cut back over to So Cal for leg 2 which will take us all the way down the Baja peninsula, ferry across to Mazatlan, then meander our way all the way down to the tip of So Am during their Summer. We’ll need to be at our most southerly point by February 2021, which will give us 7-8 months to get there from Prudhoe Bay. I have not started the route planning, but have any of you done this trip before? We want to enjoy ourselves and not make it a Cannonball run trip if possible. We may head Back North up the East coast of So Am, but then again, there is the option to put our rig in a container and ship it to So Africa for a trip up that Continent. I guess it depends if we’re still having fun! Thanks again guys.....your thoughts have been very inspiring. Cheers!
Stay tuned I will be updating this thread and provide a trip report along the way if I can and definitely when I get back. I'll be leaving July 21 and be back maybe end of August. Any questions please post here or message me. Can not wait to hear about your adventure.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

For what it's worth, we made the trek to Tuk this past summer. We took 3 weeks, and logged over 8500km from our home in Penticton, BC all the way North and back. It was most certainly a trip of a lifetime. We took the Cassiar Hwy North, then up the Alaska Hwy/Klondike Hwy (spent a couple days in Dawson City playing tourist), then up The Dempster to Inuvik, then continued up to Tuk. We were fortunate enough to be among the first to camp out on the point at the end of the road in Tuk and experienced 24 hours of sunlight during our brief visit. We then headed back south, detouring along the Campbell Hwy, and further detoured down the South Canol Road (which should not be overlooked IMO), then back onto the Alaska Hwy to Dawson Creek and then we routed back towards Vancouver to catch the BC Overland Rally then home.

In my opinion, 3 weeks was hardly enough time to experience the journey we made. There is so much to see, so many detours you want to check out, one could easily spend a month or more on the adventure. The North is simply amazing and a must-do for anyone who loves adventure and/or a good road trip.
I'd go back tomorrow if time permitted, and we will certainly be going back at some point in the next 10 years. 37388588_10155380564181637_561246547916881920_o.jpg

Agplant

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

High Level, Alberta
Member #

Agreed if you are only planning to make the journey once then 3 weeks is not enough time. There is lots of country to explore, take your time if you can afford to and enjoy everything that the north has to offer. I will be headed back on 2 wheels this June again for my sixth trip up in the past 8 years.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
We leave for Prudhoe on May 20th. Been preparing and testing products since last May. Not going to put an end date on trip. Just going to explore until I'm ready to go home.

If anyone is interested in making the journey with us let me know.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
For what it's worth, we made the trek to Tuk this past summer. We took 3 weeks, and logged over 8500km from our home in Penticton, BC all the way North and back. It was most certainly a trip of a lifetime. We took the Cassiar Hwy North, then up the Alaska Hwy/Klondike Hwy (spent a couple days in Dawson City playing tourist), then up The Dempster to Inuvik, then continued up to Tuk. We were fortunate enough to be among the first to camp out on the point at the end of the road in Tuk and experienced 24 hours of sunlight during our brief visit. We then headed back south, detouring along the Campbell Hwy, and further detoured down the South Canol Road (which should not be overlooked IMO), then back onto the Alaska Hwy to Dawson Creek and then we routed back towards Vancouver to catch the BC Overland Rally then home.

In my opinion, 3 weeks was hardly enough time to experience the journey we made. There is so much to see, so many detours you want to check out, one could easily spend a month or more on the adventure. The North is simply amazing and a must-do for anyone who loves adventure and/or a good road trip.
I'd go back tomorrow if time permitted, and we will certainly be going back at some point in the next 10 years. View attachment 81328
Yes I’m thinking at the least 30 days from Vancouver, WA. Have a route planned but no real timeline or schedule to complete. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: trikebubble

The Lone Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Willie
Last Name
Suarez
Member #

Terry I am so glad we got to chat n Facebook. I am looking forward to meet you along the way this summer.

I made it to Alaska last summer on my class C RV with my three kids (8, 9 and 11), my Yorkie and my wife.

It was so awesome that we decided to return this summer but instead of the RV we are taking our overlanding RIG. (Ram 2500).

The trip is long, there is going to be plenty of rainy days and the mosquitoes are as big as the one I grow up with in my birth country of Cuba. But it will be an epic trip.

Can’t wait to meet you and share a coffee with you by the campsite .

Attachments

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Don't forget to look for us along your routes. Will be listening to Channel 19 on CB and Chanel 6 GMRS.

We should be in Glacier NP on or about June 1st.

- Stickman & The Witness

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That's fantastic. I wish we could go back again this upcoming summer. I had no idea what to expect going way North. I'd heard the stories, and chatted with folks who all said "you just have to go, I can't explain what it is like, but you have to go". They were right. Words cannot describe the vastness and beauty of the area.

For what it's worth, I'd really recommend taking the South Canol Rd on your way back South. It was easily the most desolate and most "overland" type part of our journey. I don't imagine it would take much more time than continuing along the Robert Campbell Hwy the entire way.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
That's fantastic. I wish we could go back again this upcoming summer. I had no idea what to expect going way North. I'd heard the stories, and chatted with folks who all said "you just have to go, I can't explain what it is like, but you have to go". They were right. Words cannot describe the vastness and beauty of the area.

For what it's worth, I'd really recommend taking the South Canol Rd on your way back South. It was easily the most desolate and most "overland" type part of our journey. I don't imagine it would take much more time than continuing along the Robert Campbell Hwy the entire way.
I'm am heading up The Campbell Highway (4) from Watson Lake to reach the Dempster. Then was heading across Top of the World Hwy (5) and Taylor Hwy (9) between Dawson and Tok before heading south to see the Haines Hwy. I hear the Haines Highway is spectacular (although I know it is paved).
What was the condition of So Canol Rd when you were on it and what time of year was it? Might be an alternate I have to keep in mind.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I'm am heading up The Campbell Highway (4) from Watson Lake to reach the Dempster. Then was heading across Top of the World Hwy (5) and Taylor Hwy (9) between Dawson and Tok before heading south to see the Haines Hwy. I hear the Haines Highway is spectacular (although I know it is paved).
What was the condition of So Canol Rd when you were on it and what time of year was it? Might be an alternate I have to keep in mind.
It was great when we went in the beginning of July. It was rough in spots, lots of washboard, though overall well maintained. We saw a few moose, and quite a few porcupines along the way, especially close to Quiet lake. The Yukon Territorial campground at Quiet Lake should be worked into the equation. It is amazing, how well maintained these campsites are, and that they have clean outhouses, and free firewood, all in the middle of nowhere. We were happy to pay the $12 to use the campgrounds like this. Felt it was a little way to help give back to such a wonderful area.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Really loving that this thread is firing back up since Im planning my trip now to leave early July thru mid-Sept. Leaving CO after 4th of July and headed north thru WY and MT on the way up to Banff and all the other places mentioned in this thread. End up at my parents outside Seattle in mid-Sept then hop on a plane to Germany to go visit. So looking forward to all these routes.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Really loving that this thread is firing back up since Im planning my trip now to leave early July thru mid-Sept. Leaving CO after 4th of July and headed north thru WY and MT on the way up to Banff and all the other places mentioned in this thread. End up at my parents outside Seattle in mid-Sept then hop on a plane to Germany to go visit. So looking forward to all these routes.
Let’s hope we cam all get together on the trail somewhere.

Reactions: Stickman

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I hope we can all meet up in Alaska. Maybe at some point by the end of July.
We need to keep up this sharing of info. It has given me additional ideas. Hope we all can meet up somewhere. I’ll be posting the channels I’ll be monitoring. I have CB, GMSR and will have my HAM license before I leave. Doesn’t look like good internet or phone access up there so social media contact might be hard. We will figure out something.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Well it looks like right now I will have company on this run up to Northwest Territories. We all will have Subaru Outbacks. One is a member here, @Liana Lehua and the other is the mother of another member here. A fourth might be @Coachella Valley Overland . Hope he can get his jeep and trailer settled. Glad I have partners to share this adventure with. It's going to be fun exploring, hiking, fishing, adventuring. Hope to meet some of the others that will be traveling in the area or live up there. More posts will be forth coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout