mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Last summer, my wife and drive to Alaska and Canada spending three months and 13,000 miles on the road. We drove the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudoue Bay and then the Dempster- Inuvik/Tuktoyaktuk Highway to Tuktoyaktuk. Both times , the Arctic Ocean was bone chilling.

I'm writing a series of articles of Toyota Cruisers & Trucks (TCT) Magazine . Below are links for parts one and two.

Our trip to Deadhorse AK in TCT Magazine

Part Two of Arctic Adventures in a Vintage Land Cruiser. TCT Magazine

I hope you enjoy the articles and welcome any comments and questions.10.jpg

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Last summer, my wife and drive to Alaska and Canada spending three months and 13,000 miles on the road. We drove the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudoue Bay and then the Dempster- Inuvik/Tuktoyaktuk Highway to Tuktoyaktuk. Both times , the Arctic Ocean was bone chilling.

I'm writing a series of articles of Toyota Cruisers & Trucks (TCT) Magazine . Below are links for parts one and two.

Our trip to Deadhorse AK in TCT Magazine

Part Two of Arctic Adventures in a Vintage Land Cruiser. TCT Magazine

I hope you enjoy the articles and welcome any comments and questions.View attachment 95190
Thanks, I’ll look at them.

Reactions: Stickman

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
OK, I'm getting excited about this adventure. Much in the way of getting things together are being done.
I'll be monitoring OB's recommended HAM146.460, GMRS:15, and CB:16 for comms as of right now. My call sign on HAM is KJ7FTV, on the others just shout out my name. I have noticed @Stickman will be on CB 19 and GSMR 6 so will check in on those as I can.
So much still to do with the Subaru. Getting front and rear bumpers installed middle of this month. Will be able to carry an extra 40 liters of gas.
Scheduled date to leave will be July 21st from Vancouver, WA. First night will be over the border in Canada at a Provincial Park. Figuring 2-3 days to get to Barkerville to visit then an additional day to Dawson Creek where we'll spend one day exploring the town and area, resting up for the push on to Watson Lake then Tuktoyaktuk. Planning on 8 days to get from Dawson Creek to Tuk. and a down day in Tuk. Glad we are all flexible on a schedule as if it takes longer it can or shorter no problem either. We plan on doing a lot of camping, hiking, exploring, fishing and photography so outr time each day driving in the Subarus might be short.
This should be FUN, hope to see some of you out on the road. Would be nice to share a meal with you.

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Great . How are you driving from Watson Lake to Tuk? The Robert Campbell Highway is a nicer drive than the Alcan to Whitehorse then to Carmacks.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Yes, we will be taking the Campbell to Tuk, go across the Yukon River out of Dawson to Tok. Then down to Haines Junction and Whitehorse.

Reactions: mep1811

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
If it were me, I'd try to take a down day in Dawson City if at all possible. Its a brilliant little town, amazing people and cool stuff to see everywhere.
That’s the plan after returning from Tuk. A day to unwind and explore the town and area.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That’s the plan after returning from Tuk. A day to unwind and explore the town and area.
We camped in the campground in the middle of the town (can't recall the name but their is only one). It was perfect. Great people all around to chat with, good laundry services, and we liked being able ot just park for a couple days and walk around Dawson City. We ordered pizza from Joe's and just walked it back to our campsite. We also wandered over to the saloon in the evening and partook(sp?) in the Sour Toe Cocktail. The Ninth Ave. walking trail is just up the hill from the campsite as well.
If you are considering staying there, I'd book a site well before your due to hit Dawson City.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
We camped in the campground in the middle of the town (can't recall the name but their is only one). It was perfect. Great people all around to chat with, good laundry services, and we liked being able ot just park for a couple days and walk around Dawson City. We ordered pizza from Joe's and just walked it back to our campsite. We also wandered over to the saloon in the evening and partook(sp?) in the Sour Toe Cocktail. The Ninth Ave. walking trail is just up the hill from the campsite as well.
If you are considering staying there, I'd book a site well before your due to hit Dawson City.

The RV camp in Dawson City was expensive so we stayed across the river at the Yukon River Campground. Nice sites in the woods. A short walk to the ferry.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thanks for the info. Our travel time is flexible so hard to set reservations. I know we might have problems but that will be part of the adventure. Just hope it is calming down by early to mid August.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
The RV camp in Dawson City was expensive so we stayed across the river at the Yukon River Campground. Nice sites in the woods. A short walk to the ferry.
This is the campground I'm thinking of staying in as we will stay 2 nights and leave in the morning. It would be nice to be on that side of the river to head to Chicken. What amenities and how are they over on that side. Really the only thing I care about is laundry, showers and toilets. Be nice to have a shower after the time to get to Tuk and back.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Terry my travel buddy Dave and I will traveling back up to the Yukon in August. Hopefully we can meet up somewhere for a beer and a chat.
That sounds great watch my Instagram Account ( @sled_rider ) for updates of location, I'll post as I can. Look for 3 Outbacks traveling together. I have the silver one with a CVT RTT.

Reactions: Migu

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Also. We will be using comm channels posted by Terry Pickens.

HAM - 146.460
Call Sign: KN4FBH

GMRS - 15

CB - 16.

We will monitor these channels every day between 5pm and 6pm local.

Thanks Terry

Reactions: Terry Pickens