Alabama Hills/Death Valley November 10/13 with stops in between

• HTML tutorial

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

You're planning on going 120? That's Tioga Pass, and will likely be closed by then, won't it?

You'll have to head further south, at least to 178/Lake Isabella, to get over the Sierras in mid-November

Reactions: Kelly

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Been a while since I've been on, but I'm glad I saw this post. Depending on what fun the Army has in store for me as far as duty roster, I could use a good trip if you all can afford room for one more.
Absolutely you're welcome. Keep watching the thread for more info as it gets closer.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Hey all, there was some Talk with @Narbob about a trip to Alabama Hills and DV. @Mademan925 and Lisa , @707nick , and @Northern_XS showed some interest on this. I think the holidays are out as far as timing goes. So looking to see if anyone is interested and to see if we can nail down a date.

Warmest regards,
Stoney :grimacing:
I don't have a lot of experience on forums, so maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it seems impossible to get all the critical info you need (final date, location, comms, who's going, etc.) without going through every post in the thread. Does it make any sense for the person who started the thread, to go back to the original post and put (example) ...

UPDATE (EXAMPLE ONLY):
Location - Alabama Hills Campground (gps coordinates and or drop pin)
Dates - November ??th - ??th
Comms - CB 16, FRS 6
Confirmed - @stoney126, @Reconnoiter, @Michael, @707nick, (etc.,)
ADDITIONAL INFO (EXAMPLE ONLY):
Saturday Night Pot Luck.
Bring swimsuit for Hot Springs.
Stock vehicle friendly.
Yada, yada, yada.

Then anyone who's new to the thread, or was away from the forums for several days, can just go to the original post, and find out everything they need to know.

It's more work for the original post author, but it would save everyone else a ton of time.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I don't have a lot of experience on forums, so maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it seems impossible to get all the critical info you need (final date, location, comms, who's going, etc.) without going through every post in the thread. Does it make any sense for the person who started the thread, to go back to the original post and put (example) ...

UPDATE (EXAMPLE ONLY):
Comms - CB 16, FRS 6
Saturday Night Pot Luck.
Stock vehicle friendly.
Yada, yada, yada.

Does that make any sense? Then anyone who's new to the thread, or was away from the forums for several days, can just go to the original post, and find out everything they need to know.

It's more work for the original post author, but it would save everyone else a ton of time.
@Narbob That would be you!!!!!hahahaha I will help!!!!!!

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

UPDATE (EXAMPLE ONLY):
Comms - CB 16, FRS 6
Saturday Night Pot Luck.
Stock vehicle friendly.
Yada, yada, yada.

Then anyone who's new to the thread, or was away from the forums for several days, can just go to the original post, and find out everything they need to know.

What a fantastic suggestion. In my opinion, it should be a rule or sticky! When threads get to 19-30 pages deep, it's hard to follow what's going on and what not without reading every single post. As our community gets bigger it just makes sense @Reconnoiter

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya I started it but I'm not going, Bob can start one more organized with a head count

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Reactions: stoney126 and Kelly

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
My game plan is to arrive and camp at Alabama Hills on Thursday November 10th no later than 1500hrs, others will be rolling in throughout the night. Friday morning leisurely break camp and leave around 1100ish, allowing for late arrivals. First a stop at Reward Mine,if anyones interested, and then to Death Valley/Saline Valley via Dedekera Canyon and Steele Pass. Friday night camp at Warm Springs. Saturday break camp and let the touring begin; Lippencott Mine road, Racetrack, Ubehebe Crater and whatever else we find. Saturday camp ??? Sunday AM head out and back to reality.

Dates: November 10/13

Alabama Hills camp directions: From Hwy 395 in Lone Pine, go west on Whitney Portal road approx 2 miles to the Alabama Hills turn off on the right (north) side. Once camp is made, I'll post the GPS coordinates. There may be cell service and we will try to make camp obvious.

Communications: CB 16, Ham 146.460,
FRS/GMRS 6

Trails: All trials are easy and stock vehicles will have no problems. However, Dedekera Canyon does have a couple 2-3' rock climbs and I recommend checking it out on YouTube to see if you might have issues. I had no problem going through when my Jeep was stock height/tires.

Other Info: We will need to provide our own firewood. Warm springs does have natural springs and you're welcome to bring a bathing suit (or not if you dare).

Confirmed: Narbob (me), @mmnorthdirections , @NorCalCrisp , , [USER=3392]@Mademan925 and Lisa, @Reconnoiter (?) @picklejuice @Recon2X @benchoochoo ..join? @dghcruising[/USER]@ravenplague @benchoochoo

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
My game plan is to arrive and camp at Alabama Hills on Thursday November 10th no later than 1500hrs, others will be rolling in throughout the night. Friday morning leisurely break camp and leave around 1100ish, allowing for late arrivals. First a stop at Reward Mine,if anyones interested, and then to Death Valley/Saline Valley via Dedekera Canyon and Steele Pass. Friday night camp at Warm Springs. Saturday break camp and let the touring begin; Lippencott Mine road, Racetrack, Ubehebe Crater and whatever else we find. Saturday camp ??? Sunday AM head out and back to reality.

Dates: November 10/13

Alabama Hills camp directions: From Hwy 395 in Lone Pine, go west on Whitney Portal road approx 2 miles to the Alabama Hills turn off on the right (north) side. Once camp is made, I'll post the GPS coordinates. There may be cell service and we will try to make camp obvious.

Communications: CB 16, Ham 146.460,
FRS/GMRS 6

Trails: All trials are easy and stock vehicles will have no problems. However, Dedekera Canyon does have a couple 2-3' rock climbs and I recommend checking it out on YouTube to see if you might have issues. I had no problem going through when my Jeep was stock height/tires.

Other Info: We will need to provide our own firewood. Warm springs does have natural springs and you're welcome to bring a bathing suit (or not if you dare).

Confirmed: Narbob (me), @mmnorthdirections , @NorCalCrisp , @maktruk , @Mademan925 and Lisa, @Reconnoiter (?)
That's awesome! Thank you!