Rank 0

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC
First Name
Rob
Last Name
king
Hey all

Probably super silly question. But just realized my new truck came with Nitrogen filled tires; never real dealt with anything but air filled. Is it ok to just top them off with air after airing down for the trail?

Thanks
Rob

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
It won't hurt anything to pump up your tires with compressed air. You just lose the benefits of a nitrogen filled tire. For road use I think it's pretty negligible anyway.

Reactions: MazeVX and NC-RKing

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
The nitrogen filled tires are less susceptible to temperature change, that is the only real advantage. As far as airing down and refilling with air, you will not have any issues.

I have had this situation on my last 2 vehicles and no side effects from the change over. I also agree with the above comment that you rarely see a “nitrogen “ fill up at your local tire shop. So that should be a good indicator that they also don’t see any issues.

Reactions: NC-RKing

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your heart is set on nitrogen you can carry a scuba size tank in your vehicle to air back up I belive they call them power tanks .
If not just let all the nitro out and re air with o2 and carry an air compressor

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Nitrogen filled tires is not a scam, nitrogen being an inert gas will not expand and contract with heat thus giving more consistent pressure over a wider range of temperature and driving conditions. That said, if you check you tires like you should it's not needed, and topping off with air is fine. As far as carrying a pressurized cylinder of gas, make sure its outside of the vehicle.

Reactions: MidOH and NC-RKing

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nitrogen filled tires is not a scam, nitrogen being an inert gas will not expand and contract with heat thus giving more consistent pressure over a wider range of temperature and driving conditions. That said, if you check you tires like you should it's not needed, and topping off with air is fine. As far as carrying a pressurized cylinder of gas, make sure its outside of the vehicle.
Oh, hey. Slightly more consistent pressure. That does nothing. Not even noticeable on a motorcycle.

If your tires aren't paper thin, and going to see Temps over 220, it's useless.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Oh, hey. Slightly more consistent pressure. That does nothing. Not even noticeable on a motorcycle.

If your tires aren't paper thin, and going to see Temps over 220, it's useless.
Yeah unless you're racing on a high level I don't think it's worth it.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I used to work in a major chain tire shop years ago. The "Advantage" was a few things. Stable pressure and no Oxygen. The Oxygen and the moisture that you can get with it breaks down the rubber on the inside of the tire. However, UV light and normal road conditions break down the outside of your tire faster, so when you apply logic to it, it was a waste of money.
I think new cars are the only way you get Nitrogen, go to any tire shop these days and all you get is regular old air that we all breath.
Oh, and if your car ever goes off into the lake and you need to stay under water because the bad guys are shooting at you, you can breath the air in your tires to survive, but not if there is Nitrogen in them, it will kill you. Just watch Mythbuster, they proved it to work. :)

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Hey all

Probably super silly question. But just realized my new truck came with Nitrogen filled tires; never real dealt with anything but air filled. Is it ok to just top them off with air after airing down for the trail?

Thanks
Rob
Air them down. Top them off. Ignore the whole "nitrogen" thing. Unless your driving is heavy on high speed and high acceleration, 100% nitrogen vs 78% nitrogen isn't a big difference.

On the other hand, washboard roads at 40psi vs 18psi? That might be a "domestic tranquility issue".

Reactions: JORCAN

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Sorry, all gases expand and contract predictably with changes in temperature. Pure Nitrogen just leaks slightly less.

Source: Boyle's Law
And I would add that the inert part refers to chemical reactivity...basically, in normal conditions it does not react ( combine ) with anything else..

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Sorry, all gases expand and contract predictably with changes in temperature. Pure Nitrogen just leaks slightly less.

Source: Boyle's Law
Fair enough. Do you know what the expansion rates are? Nitrogen must just be less thus the perceived benefit.

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
so in aviation we use nitrogen in tires to keep the moisture out where at altitude will freeze and "could" cause problems. I have seen tires in "GA" aircraft where regular compressed air was used, no issues until freezing temps hit, Iceland/Greenland, and the tire came off the bead. Sooooooo, use regular air on your trail rated buggy.