Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Oh, and @trikebubble, before you spend the money to fix those sway bars, give your rig a ride without them. Drive it like an SUV with body roll problems, not a car. You may see that it's handling isn't so bad and the sway bars were there due to lawyers, not engineers. I've had my sway bars off of my Xterra since it was less than a year old. I drive it like a truck. It's had three different evolutions of suspension on it. Give it a try.

Reactions: TheMcCalls

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Oh, and @trikebubble, before you spend the money to fix those sway bars, give your rig a ride without them. Drive it like an SUV with body roll problems, not a car. You may see that it's handling isn't so bad and the sway bars were there due to lawyers, not engineers. I've had my sway bars off of my Xterra since it was less than a year old. I drive it like a truck. It's had three different evolutions of suspension on it. Give it a try.
Did you remove both sway bars? I'm interested in getting a trailer at some point, and I thought that the rear sway bar was a necessity when towing. Or, is it simply a preference?

I drive my X on road a lot more than off, so I'll probably keep mine regardless (until I can convince my wife to let me buy another DD).

ETA: Also, to stay retroactively on-topic, I've never actually aired-down either, but that's because: A. I didn't even know it was a thing until a few years ago (except for sand) & B. I don't drive on the few vehicle-accessible beaches in Oregon (personal taste, I think rigs on the beach are kinda intrusive).

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I removed the rear last year and haven't noticed any negative issues whatsoever, I tow a 4000 pound travel trailer with the X, and do some winding highway driving and it's just fine without the rear.
I've had the front off for a week and it will be going back on this Saturday. I don't care for the additional front body roll feeling. I'll likely just remove it (the front one) for extended off road trips from now on.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Did you remove both sway bars? I'm interested in getting a trailer at some point, and I thought that the rear sway bar was a necessity when towing. Or, is it simply a preference?

I drive my X on road a lot more than off, so I'll probably keep mine regardless (until I can convince my wife to let me buy another DD).

ETA: Also, to stay retroactively on-topic, I've never actually aired-down either, but that's because: A. I didn't even know it was a thing until a few years ago (except for sand) & B. I don't drive on the few vehicle-accessible beaches in Oregon (personal taste, I think rigs on the beach are kinda intrusive).
Yes, I've towed a 12' uhaul open top, heavy, stock suspension sans sway bars, no issues.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I gotta agree with this,,, My first vehicle was a 60 F-200 4x4.Very rare indeed, but no sway bars, it was a truck.. The 64 nor the 72 F250 didn't have em, nor did my 76 LC 40. When I had my jeep rubicon i generally left them disconnected. It did roll a tiny bit in the corners, but nothing so drastic that a good driver could not compensate for... Hey,, they aren't cars, they are trucks..

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I gotta agree with this,,, My first vehicle was a 60 F-200 4x4.Very rare indeed, but no sway bars, it was a truck.. The 64 nor the 72 F250 didn't have em, nor did my 76 LC 40. When I had my jeep rubicon i generally left them disconnected. It did roll a tiny bit in the corners, but nothing so drastic that a good driver could not compensate for... Hey,, they aren't cars, they are trucks..
Sorta seems obvious in retrospect... People have towed for a long time with and without sway bars. Thanks, all!

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Driving a truck that was designed to have a swaybar that has its swaybar removed is lightyears different than driving a truck that never had one.

SFA vs. IFS plays a big factor

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

In 20 years I've just never needed to. It's also not the greatest thing for the sidewall of your tire.
I'm not against it - and have ridden with guys who do it - I just never saw the need.
It's going to be bouncy out there. Hahaha
Airing down PROTECTS your sidewall.... it bends around the sharp rocks rather than be punctured by them.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Driving a truck that was designed to have a swaybar that has its swaybar removed is lightyears different than driving a truck that never had one.

SFA vs. IFS plays a big factor
My vehicle originally had two sway bars, now it has none.

It was also made to have different LCAs, UCAs, shocks, and springs. There is about 0% of Nissan left in my suspension at this point and the rig handles way differently than it did stock. With the new rear springs from Alcan and updated shocks, it actually tows better than it did from the factory.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

My vehicle originally had two sway bars, now it has none.

It was also made to have different LCAs, UCAs, shocks, and springs. There is about 0% of Nissan left in my suspension at this point and the rig handles way differently than it did stock. With the new rear springs from Alcan and updated shocks, it actually tows better than it did from the factory.
I was speaking more in terms of removing a swaybar from an unmodified truck. Obviously your suspension upgrades have added stiffness to your control arms to the point that the effect of a missing swaybar is minimized. Do that on a stock X and let's talk.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

On a stock XTerra the rear end has fairly limited upward travel, without the rear sway bar you won't get much body roll before you hit the stops and physically can't roll any more.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Rear sway bars are a moot point, I've never seen one that did much of anything. However, I stick to longer wheelbase vehicles. That makes a difference.

I'm moreso focused on the front bar in this thread, since that affects drivability and handling much more than the rear.

My point still stands. Removing the (front) swaybar from an (otherwise unmodified) SUV that was designed to have one will be lightyear's difference from one that never had one.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Rear sway bars are a moot point, I've never seen one that did much of anything. However, I stick to longer wheelbase vehicles. That makes a difference.

I'm moreso focused on the front bar in this thread, since that affects drivability and handling much more than the rear.

My point still stands. Removing the (front) swaybar from an (otherwise unmodified) SUV that was designed to have one will be lightyear's difference from one that never had one.
Ok, I'll go along with that. Those old solid axle vehicles were so stiff they didn't need anti-sway bars and my 80 still has them on and doesn't roll a bit. then again, I've an OME suspension, heavy. 850 Js and 864s

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Airing down PROTECTS your sidewall.... it bends around the sharp rocks rather than be punctured by them.
But if you air down too much you can roll it, blow your bead and then things get weird.
Again, I'm not against it - I've just never had to do it. It's a preference, not a necessity.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

But if you air down too much you can roll it, blow your bead and then things get weird.
Again, I'm not against it - I've just never had to do it. It's a preference, not a necessity.
I normally air down to about 22-25 PSI. The ride off road is considerably smoother in my truck when compared to the 35/37 PSI street pressure. The truck seems to bounce a little at the higher pressure. at the lower pressure it seems to be more stable and smooth.

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I normally air down to about 22-25 PSI. The ride off road is considerably smoother in my truck when compared to the 35/37 PSI street pressure. The truck seems to bounce a little at the higher pressure. at the lower pressure it seems to be more stable and smooth.[/QUOTE
When I had my Tacoma I would bounce around a little bit, but the trails are pretty open around here so it wasn't an issue. If they were tight trails with some serious terrain - I would probably air down so as not to bounce into a tree. In my 4Runner the bounce is minimal.

Reactions: The other Sean

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
The OP's breakage reminds me of a friend that once owned an off road machine. I went out a couple of times with him, and each and every time, he ended up breaking something. I found out later that he broke something every time out and it was costing him a pile of money. Axles, tie rods, knuckles, trailing arms, on and on, AND it was a brand new rig.... Finally he simply gave up, threw in the towel and sold his rig. Hmmmm... it wasnt about cheap or worn components, it wasn't about airing down, as he aired down with religious ferver. I went with him twice. I witnessed that he was very, very hard on equipment. The plain and simple truth? Finesse driving prevents breakage. Sometimes, yes, it is worn out or weak components, but just not very often. I think the OP, ( no insult intended here) simply made a mistake. When easing down a shelf, that manuever can easily put double the stress on front end components, and if not gentle, they are gonna give...

I usually air down from 32 to 20 psi for comfort, although I do understand the mechanical value in doing so...
I think this, combined with the suspension upgrades likely caused the problem. I ran an old Hardbody and took the swaybar off as soon as I lifted it up. Didn't really impact drive quality, and didn't have to worry about twerking the bar out of spec and busting something bad. If you over-beef the links, you may just end up breaking something a lot more expensive...