Air down...or else

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I either neglected to, or couldn't be bothered to (plead the 5th on both accounts) to air down last weekend when we went out for a little picnic adventure run.
I dropped my front end down of a very low rock ledge on the pretty mild trail and it slammed pretty hard into the trail. I knew pretty much right away something was amiss.

I managed to snap both sway bar end links clean in half. At least I made the wise decision to always pack tools, so a quick trail side removal of the sway bar (you can't really disconnect an Xterra sway bar and leave it in place as it contacts the tires and won't rotate up and out of the way) and we were back on the go again.

I left the the sway bar off for a week, just to see how the X handled, and decided pretty quickly that it will be going back on for day to day on road use.

I've surely learned my lesson, and will never neglect to air down when hitting the trails again, even the seemingly mild ones.

Reactions: Kelly

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I'm not sure I understand how airing down would have prevented this issue?

Both sway bar links snapped, did you drop off the ledge both tires at the same time? Or one and then the other?
In either case, maybe I'm missing something here, give me your thoughts on how lower tire pressure would have made a difference?

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I'm pretty sure the lack of cushioning from aired down tires caused them to snap. I normally keep my tires at 40psi, so it was a rather jarring impact, albeit a very low drop. I have never had any issues off roading on much more technical stuff when the tires were aired down. The end links were less than a year old, so it wasn't like they were looking for a reason to snap in half.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've never really subscribed to airing down unless I know I'm heading into some seriously jagged or rooty terrain.
But I guess it pays to give that a second chance.
Thanks for sharing!

tubbsisland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

85016 Phoenix Az
Member #

I'm not sure I understand how airing down would have prevented this issue?

Both sway bar links snapped, did you drop off the ledge both tires at the same time? Or one and then the other?
In either case, maybe I'm missing something here, give me your thoughts on how lower tire pressure would have made a difference?
I will second this, airing down would not have prevented this failure. maybe made it a little smoother upon impact. This sounds like a worn component or over extended issue to me.

My best guess is that when you dropped over the ledge your stock length sway bar links blew out due to the increased angles put on them from your lift and being drooped abruptly with nothing limiting their down travel.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I am lifted and do still have stock links. In the past year I've wheeled the heck out of her and not even cone close to go having an issue with the links until this little mishap. I was really going on a simpke process of elimination, all other things being equal the only difference was that my tires were jacked to 40psi and made quite an impact. The links had been checked prior and looked ok. Anyhoo, I've bought new Moog link's and I think k from now on I will remove the whole sway bar if I know I'm going to be wheeling more serious stuff.

Reactions: Barton Fink

tubbsisland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

85016 Phoenix Az
Member #

I am lifted and do still have stock links. In the past year I've wheeled the heck out of her and not even cone close to go having an issue with the links until this little mishap. I was really going on a simpke process of elimination, all other things being equal the only difference was that my tires were jacked to 40psi and made quite an impact. The links had been checked prior and looked ok. Anyhoo, I've bought new Moog link's and I think k from now on I will remove the whole sway bar if I know I'm going to be wheeling more serious stuff.
buying new joints isn't going to solve your problem tho, you're just throwing money at the inevitable happening again in the future. Fact of the matter is your links are simply too short to work with the added droop and articulation of your lift, which being a Nissan I would assume is more likely that not either NisTech or PRG both of which will create this problem. My suggestion would be toe remove the sway bar entirely BEFORE you install your new links and give it a solid road test to see if you can tolerate the increased body roll that will come by it, if you can keep it off and call it a day other wise just be aware that this could potentially be an issue in the future and carry spares with you.

Or just start with an entirely new platform :tonguewink:

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Airing down seams to have become "Gucci". You're not going somewhere........technical.......or hard core unless your on the side of the road airing up or down with all the right gear.

In the late 70's, 80's, and through part of the 90's, the only place I saw people air down was for sand.

With the lesser tire technology of yesteryear, folks still weren't airing down for sharp rocky obstacles or runs.

---

I once took a group of folks up to Margarita Peak, above Camp Pendleton, when it was still USFS accessible.

We hit highly maintained dirt for the hour long run to the obstacle course that the last quarter mile is, and someone called to air down on the radio.
I had briefed that everything but the last quarter mile is maintained dirt, you're not even going got need 4wd.
Everybody aired down (but me, in factory BFG Rugged Terrains). Some initially didn't, but did after being seen NOT airing down, did.

Well...okay...to each their own.

We got to the last quarter mile where the rocks are furniture sized and one locker minimum is required and if you aren't lifted expect sheet metal damage.

Am I airing down...nah, I'm good. Mystified looks prevail.

Lo/Locked and crawling for a quarter mile without a fuss. Can't say so much about some of the folks that came along.

The all knowing articles and films and write ups all preach of the highly touted air down.

Know Your Vehicle

Do What You Need To Do

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

I've never really subscribed to airing down unless I know I'm heading into some seriously jagged or rooty terrain.
But I guess it pays to give that a second chance.
Thanks for sharing!
Really? Hm. I aired down for the first time this last run, and daaaamn.... from 40 down to 25 made a huuuge difference in traction and ride comfort. Goin to 15-20 next time. I'm a believer. On board air compressor coming soon!

Reactions: RaggedViking

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Airing down seams to have become "Gucci". You're not going somewhere........technical.......or hard core unless your on the side of the road airing up or down with all the right gear.

In the late 70's, 80's, and through part of the 90's, the only place I saw people air down was for sand.

With the lesser tire technology of yesteryear, folks still weren't airing down for sharp rocky obstacles or runs.

---

I once took a group of folks up to Margarita Peak, above Camp Pendleton, when it was still USFS accessible.

We hit highly maintained dirt for the hour long run to the obstacle course that the last quarter mile is, and someone called to air down on the radio.
I had briefed that everything but the last quarter mile is maintained dirt, you're not even going got need 4wd.
Everybody aired down (but me, in factory BFG Rugged Terrains). Some initially didn't, but did after being seen NOT airing down, did.

Well...okay...to each their own.

We got to the last quarter mile where the rocks are furniture sized and one locker minimum is required and if you aren't lifted expect sheet metal damage.

Am I airing down...nah, I'm good. Mystified looks prevail.

Lo/Locked and crawling for a quarter mile without a fuss. Can't say so much about some of the folks that came along.

The all knowing articles and films and write ups all preach of the highly touted air down.

Know Your Vehicle

Do What You Need To Do
Honestly, I do it for comfort. Corrugated road sucks and softening the tires a little helps make it bearable and not shake the fillings out of my teeth. The added squish in the tires also reduces the work of the dampers and keeps them from blowing seals or overheating, reduces the punishment on the bushings, keeps the interior from rattling apart, and generally makes for a nicer trip.

I know I could run 40 psi on most stuff, but why would I when it is loud, uncomfortable, and I end up with a rig jittering all over and numb hands?

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The OP's breakage reminds me of a friend that once owned an off road machine. I went out a couple of times with him, and each and every time, he ended up breaking something. I found out later that he broke something every time out and it was costing him a pile of money. Axles, tie rods, knuckles, trailing arms, on and on, AND it was a brand new rig.... Finally he simply gave up, threw in the towel and sold his rig. Hmmmm... it wasnt about cheap or worn components, it wasn't about airing down, as he aired down with religious ferver. I went with him twice. I witnessed that he was very, very hard on equipment. The plain and simple truth? Finesse driving prevents breakage. Sometimes, yes, it is worn out or weak components, but just not very often. I think the OP, ( no insult intended here) simply made a mistake. When easing down a shelf, that manuever can easily put double the stress on front end components, and if not gentle, they are gonna give...

I usually air down from 32 to 20 psi for comfort, although I do understand the mechanical value in doing so...

Reactions: VCeXpedition

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Really? Hm. I aired down for the first time this last run, and daaaamn.... from 40 down to 25 made a huuuge difference in traction and ride comfort. Goin to 15-20 next time. I'm a believer. On board air compressor coming soon!
In 20 years I've just never needed to. It's also not the greatest thing for the sidewall of your tire.
I'm not against it - and have ridden with guys who do it - I just never saw the need.
It's going to be bouncy out there. Hahaha

Reactions: MOAK

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Honestly, I do it for comfort. Corrugated road suxks and softening the tires a little helps make it bearable and not shake the fillings out of my teeth. The added squish in the tires also reduces the work of the dampers and keeps them from blowing seals or overheating, reduces the punishment on the bushings, keeps the interior from rattling apart, and generally makes for a nicer trip.

I know I could run 40 psi on most stuff, but why would I when it is loud, uncomfortable, and I end up with a rig jittering all over and numb hands?
*micdrop*

Reactions: RaggedViking

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The OP's breakage reminds me of a friend that once owned an off road machine. I went out a couple of times with him, and each and every time, he ended up breaking something. I found out later that he broke something every time out and it was costing him a pile of money. Axles, tie rods, knuckles, trailing arms, on and on, AND it was a brand new rig.... Finally he simply gave up, threw in the towel and sold his rig. Hmmmm... it wasnt about cheap or worn components, it wasn't about airing down, as he aired down with religious ferver. I went with him twice. I witnessed that he was very, very hard on equipment. The plain and simple truth? Finesse driving prevents breakage. Sometimes, yes, it is worn out or weak components, but just not very often. I think the OP, ( no insult intended here) simply made a mistake. When easing down a shelf, that manuever can easily put double the stress on front end components, and if not gentle, they are gonna give...

I usually air down from 32 to 20 psi for comfort, although I do understand the mechanical value in doing so...
Professionally, this is referred to as "mechanical sympathy".
Exercise it copiously and you can save a lot of money over the life of your rig.

Reactions: MOAK and TheMcCalls

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Honestly, I do it for comfort. Corrugated road suxks and softening the tires a little helps make it bearable and not shake the fillings out of my teeth. The added squish in the tires also reduces the work of the dampers and keeps them from blowing seals or overheating, reduces the punishment on the bushings, keeps the interior from rattling apart, and generally makes for a nicer trip.

^This

This is one reason I could honestly justify airing down......even over sand (which I've done at Pismo successfully........not aired down :fearscream:)

When I eventually get around to Death Valley and Mojave road I will most probably air down for this reason.......to keep all of the big pieces together.

Reactions: TheMcCalls