Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

I’m thinking of using a Milwaukee M18 electric 2gal compressor. It’s 40lbs and bulky……but prolly work on anything and have the capability to run air tools along with other cordless tools.

Anyone else haul a full size compressor around? Worth it or no?

Lol, funny cause it was your rig that I thought about when I saw it at HD!! Then said to myself “it could fill most tirs really quickly”. My Viaair takes 30 mins for all 4 tires from 20-40psi. I want it to be more like 8-10mins.
Get your self a nice high volume air compressor and add a tank Napa has one on sale right now that is 6cfm way faster then your compressor.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I’m thinking of using a Milwaukee M18 electric 2gal compressor. It’s 40lbs and bulky……but prolly work on anything and have the capability to run air tools along with other cordless tools.

Anyone else haul a full size compressor around? Worth it or no?

Lol, funny cause it was your rig that I thought about when I saw it at HD!! Then said to myself “it could fill most tirs really quickly”. My Viaair takes 30 mins for all 4 tires from 20-40psi. I want it to be more like 8-10mins.
Get your self a nice high volume air compressor and add a tank Napa has one on sale right now that is 6cfm way faster then your compressor.
Wow, will do, thanks for the heads up!

Looks like I could just bolt a 2gal Craftsman down and call it good. Run it off the outlet in my trunk.

Reactions: 05EXCURSION

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Wow, will do, thanks for the heads up!

Looks like I could just bolt a 2gal Craftsman down and call it good. Run it off the outlet in my trunk.
This is the setup a guy had who helped me reinflate a tire after fixing a flat. He said he just uses the inverter that came with the truck and has no issues. Filled up my 31" tire from zero to 20 psi in just a few minutes. He said he loves it because he can run air tools off it, fills tires fast.

Reactions: KAIONE

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

Powertank...easy peezy. View attachment 226598
Honestly I love the simplicity of the powertank. What I don't like is the cost and the fill up fee during the winter we had to fill the tank twice for just two vehicles. Granted we were up in the snow aired down a lot. One disadvantage to running larger tires I guess

Reactions: shansonpac

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Powertank...easy peezy. View attachment 226598
Honestly I love the simplicity of the powertank. What I don't like is the cost and the fill up fee during the winter we had to fill the tank twice for just two vehicles. Granted we were up in the snow aired down a lot. One disadvantage to running larger tires I guess
Right. It seems like a pay now or pay later. I have stock tires on my 4Runner (265’s) and am very impatient with it when filling tires. But since I have 2 vehicles and my f250 is on 315’s(34.5”), I rarely air down because of the time to refill, so that’s a solid option. And I might keep the Viaair on deck in case someone else needs it.

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
I really like the reviews for the NAPA air compressor (max trax) but it is always out of stock. I wonder if they're even getting more.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Go big or go home
data is clipped from their sites.
Sherpa At 40 PSI, users can expect ~8.9 CFM and at 80 PSI this drops to an impressive 5.2 CFM
Extreme outback 6 CFM free flow and a whopping 2.6 CFM at 100 psi.
ARB Dual (3CFM) @ 6Bar (90PSI)

I have seen all three of these being used. I would never buy the Sherpa or the Extreme outback due to their overall size. The outback seemed to fill 35's about the same speed as the ARB. Sherpa, was way faster.

I have had a Viair for years, still going strong and fits anywhere. If I had to replace mine, it would either be another Viair or if I could get a good price, an ARB.
I have friends with power tanks. Size and having to refill them are the only reasons I don't have one. I have been on trips where someone forgot to check their power tank and I ended up filling their tires.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Go big or go home
data is clipped from their sites.
Sherpa At 40 PSI, users can expect ~8.9 CFM and at 80 PSI this drops to an impressive 5.2 CFM
Extreme outback 6 CFM free flow and a whopping 2.6 CFM at 100 psi.
ARB Dual (3CFM) @ 6Bar (90PSI)

I have seen all three of these being used. I would never buy the Sherpa or the Extreme outback due to their overall size. The outback seemed to fill 35's about the same speed as the ARB. Sherpa, was way faster.

I have had a Viair for years, still going strong and fits anywhere. If I had to replace mine, it would either be another Viair or if I could get a good price, an ARB.
I have friends with power tanks. Size and having to refill them are the only reasons I don't have one. I have been on trips where someone forgot to check their power tank and I ended up filling their tires.
So would it be safe to say that even with a Powertank you still should travel with a compressor of a minimum size just in case?

Reactions: Desert Runner

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
So would it be safe to say that even with a Powertank you still should travel with a compressor of a minimum size just in case?
personally, i would. Just in case.

For me, if I payed attention to it and made sure it was full before going out and I had the extra room, they work great. I borrowed my buddies tank a few times just to see how they were. Both times had to make a trip to the welding yard to refill it. The ones in my area aren't open on Saturday. I have to take off work early to fill them. Some people don't have this issue and love their power tanks.

My Viair takes about 20 mins to fill, I dont have to worry about having forgotten to make sure its full. I spend this time inspecting the vehicle before I hit the pavement. The inspection would happen whether or not I had a compressor. To me the time is not lost.

I also go off-roading alot. That in itself means less trips to the welding shop.

Last edited:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

personally, i would. Just in case.

For me, if I payed attention to it and made sure it was full before going out and I had the extra room, they work great. I borrowed my buddies tank a few times just to see how they were. Both times had to make a trip to the welding yard to refill it. The ones in my area aren't open on Saturday. I have to take off work early to fill them. Some people don't have this issue and love their power tanks.

My Viair takes about 20 mins to fill, I dont have to worry about having forgotten to make sure its full. I spend this time inspecting the vehicle before I hit the pavement. The inspection would happen whether or not I had a compressor. To me the time is not lost.

I also go off-roading alot. That in itself means less trips to the welding shop.
Great, sound advice.

Thank you

Reactions: Desert Runner

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I bought this. Horrible reviews but the price was right, it seems to have decent specs and it comes in a cool box LOL. We shall see, it gets delivered tomorrow. I'll air down then test it out.
Keep us posted. Lol

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
I tries multiple different adapters to fit my 1/4npt. Gave -up. Went with Morrflate Ten-Six, looked good. I would've got the Maxi Trac but it is never in-stock.

RunningRoundHairOnFire

Rank II

Contributor II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Brice
Member #

I bought this. Horrible reviews but the price was right, it seems to have decent specs and it comes in a cool box LOL. We shall see, it gets delivered tomorrow. I'll air down then test it out.
I've been looking around and landed on this unit as well. I haven' t seen it offered in that case, and don't really need the one with the tools and tire repair kit. I was thinking about putting it in an ammo can. Hmm.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have an ARB Dual, and I have a Faster Flate kit to air up/down all 4 at once.

I was considering the NAPA one, cause I’m budget minded, but saw some issues about the wiring that concerned me being able to handle 4 larger tires, so I went ARB, and still decided to buy the extra switch that seems to blow for a spare.

On some things I’m super thrifty, others I’d much rather buy once cry once.

I saved about $100 on a Fasterflate kit over the Morrflate one. Put that money towards the compressor!

RunningRoundHairOnFire

Rank II

Contributor II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Brice
Member #

I have an ARB Dual, and I have a Faster Flate kit to air up/down all 4 at once.

I was considering the NAPA one, cause I’m budget minded, but saw some issues about the wiring that concerned me being able to handle 4 larger tires, so I went ARB, and still decided to buy the extra switch that seems to blow for a spare.

On some things I’m super thrifty, others I’d much rather buy once cry once.

I saved about $100 on a Fasterflate kit over the Morrflate one. Put that money towards the compressor!
I like the Fasterflate or the like. I like the ARB Twin, probably going to re-tool in another phase with that and lighting. I'll pass the cheaper Dbl Cyl off to one of my kids when I get there.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The Viair 88P, and a 400 round ammo can.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fits the compressor, a factory extension hose, some odds and ends, and is water proof. Provides great protection, and is easy to stack, or throw in the PU bed. Cost is right about what you paid, and the Viair get great reviews.

PS: This model can do 33" tires, and get you in the ball-park on 35's, without costing a fortune. Having to be attached by a hose to a welding or a dive shop is not worth it to me. But I can emphasize with those who have big tires, or are always adjusting their TP on the trails. The ease, out-ways the expense and hassle.

Last edited: