tommyzito

Rank I

Traveler III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Zito
Personally I use the ARB dual compressor. We air up our 33’s in no time. And I’m not sure a of pump that can do a better CFM, or is as reliable as the ARB.

Attachments

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I had done a lot of research on this, but meet a guy camping who showed me his 10 pound CO2 system. It would probably air up 30 35" tires with one charge. No moving parts. Nothing to burn up. I just bought the parts and am putting it together today. Something else to consider.

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The difference between the ARB, Smittybuilt, a compressed Air Tank and my home 30 gallon compressor are minimal. It's like the difference between getting back to the house at 7:30pm and 7:50pm. Are we not out there to relax and get away from it all? Take a few minutes and walk around the rig. Make sure you're not dragging a deer down the road and back to the house. LOL.
Zim

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I just use the Harbor Freight one. Does well enough. Just gotta have it running before you hook up to tire or it can blow the fuse.

Reactions: Dusther210

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Personally I use the ARB dual compressor. We air up our 33’s in no time. And I’m not sure a of pump that can do a better CFM, or is as reliable as the ARB.
I just added the ARB dual to my truck which runs 37x13.5-17"s that I run at 50-55psi for the street and ~25-35psi for trails. I'll see how quickly it can air all 4 back up soon. I also have a Viair 450P that I was using previously (with 35x12.5-18" tires, same pressure ranges) and it was actually pretty quick to air all 4 back up from 35-55psi (maybe 10-15 minutes). However, on a trip where I went down to 25psi, and brought them back to 75psi (I was towing after the off road section of the trip) it took 10+ minutes per tire, and I was giving it a few minutes to cool between tires so it took over an hour total. Anyway, I added ARB lockers so I needed a built-in solution and went with the ARB dual.

I had done a lot of research on this, but meet a guy camping who showed me his 10 pound CO2 system. It would probably air up 30 35" tires with one charge. No moving parts. Nothing to burn up. I just bought the parts and am putting it together today. Something else to consider.
I suppose it all depends on what pressures you run. Some folks are running 35"s and only running 32psi and only air down to say 18psi, others might be running 80psi on the street and go down to say 25psi so that's a big difference. I have 10lbs Powertanks in addition to the compressors I mentioned above, and they are definitely way faster. With my WJ it was just a matter of seconds to go from around 18psi to 45. I haven't used one on my truck yet. Either way, I think 30 35" tires from one charge is optimistic. Here are charts from Powertanks:

1647549912564.png

So, with a 10lbs tank with a 35x12.5-17" if you're only adding 10psi (say 25-35psi) yes you should get ~30. However, if you're adding 20psi that drops to 16.

-TJ

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I just added the ARB dual to my truck which runs 37x13.5-17"s that I run at 50-55psi for the street and ~25-35psi for trails. I'll see how quickly it can air all 4 back up soon. I also have a Viair 450P that I was using previously (with 35x12.5-18" tires, same pressure ranges) and it was actually pretty quick to air all 4 back up from 35-55psi (maybe 10-15 minutes). However, on a trip where I went down to 25psi, and brought them back to 75psi (I was towing after the off road section of the trip) it took 10+ minutes per tire, and I was giving it a few minutes to cool between tires so it took over an hour total. Anyway, I added ARB lockers so I needed a built-in solution and went with the ARB dual.

I suppose it all depends on what pressures you run. Some folks are running 35"s and only running 32psi and only air down to say 18psi, others might be running 80psi on the street and go down to say 25psi so that's a big difference. I have 10lbs Powertanks in addition to the compressors I mentioned above, and they are definitely way faster. With my WJ it was just a matter of seconds to go from around 18psi to 45. I haven't used one on my truck yet. Either way, I think 30 35" tires from one charge is optimistic. Here are charts from Powertanks:

View attachment 225832

So, with a 10lbs tank with a 35x12.5-17" if you're only adding 10psi (say 25-35psi) yes you should get ~30. However, if you're adding 20psi that drops to 16.

-TJ
Thanks for the clarification. It is all about the volume and change in pressure. Great chart!

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
I have this kit here and it airs up the 35"s with the morrflate in less than 10 minutes from 15psi to 40psi Airs up all 4 at the same time. Gets warm but haven't had an issue. It is nice to air up and air down 4 at once

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have this kit here and it airs up the 35"s with the morrflate in less than 10 minutes from 15psi to 40psi Airs up all 4 at the same time. Gets warm but haven't had an issue. It is nice to air up and air down 4 at once
Good call on the Morylate, I actually have their setup too and agree it's AWESOME to just air up all at once, and end up with perfectly balanced air pressures (I usually let it sit for a min or two once I close the valve and stop airing up). On full-time 4wd vehicles like my WK2 Trailhawk it's especially important to match pressures well.

-TJ

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I use this kit-it is strong enough to reinflate 4 35s with no break and has been reliable. It may not be the fastest on the market but I do think it is a great QPR.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I own a Viair and love it. I am hearing that NAPA is selling a very good unit for about $100.00, I would check it out.

Reactions: KAIONE

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I use this kit-it is strong enough to reinflate 4 35s with no break and has been reliable. It may not be the fastest on the market but I do think it is a great QPR.

I second this…the Viair 400P might get a bit hot and take its time, but it’s well-constructed and the hoses that come with it are also high-quality, unlike some others (looking at you, ARB).

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I second this…the Viair 400P might get a bit hot and take its time, but it’s well-constructed and the hoses that come with it are also high-quality, unlike some others (looking at you, ARB).
Agreed 100%

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
It's a bit more expensive, but I installed a heavily modified York AC compressor and have ZERO regrets. It will keep up with power tools and everything else as well.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I’m thinking of using a Milwaukee M18 electric 2gal compressor. It’s 40lbs and bulky……but prolly work on anything and have the capability to run air tools along with other cordless tools.

Anyone else haul a full size compressor around? Worth it or no?

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I’m thinking of using a Milwaukee M18 electric 2gal compressor. It’s 40lbs and bulky……but prolly work on anything and have the capability to run air tools along with other cordless tools.

Anyone else haul a full size compressor around? Worth it or no?

Lol, funny cause it was your rig that I thought about when I saw it at HD!! Then said to myself “it could fill most tirs really quickly”. My Viaair takes 30 mins for all 4 tires from 20-40psi. I want it to be more like 8-10mins.