Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's not true...should work at all Federal Lands. Most states will give free for disabled Vets but not LE.
The back of the pass clearly states many campgrounds “MAY“ offer discounted rates, not “Will” offer discounted rates. I’ve done a lot of research on this talking with VSROs, Park & Rec Directors for BLM, NFS, State and Local officials. They all said what Bubba posted earlier... it’s up to the third party if the pass is accepted, if it’s accepted only during the week and full price on weekends, or a black out date on federal holidays (this one pissed me off be cause it blacks out the two of the three biggest camping holidays which are service holidays).
Now do I agree with this “Heck No” I do not. But this IS how the system works. It is a problem that many vets ( not just disabled) are trying to push through in legislation to get changed so we can have our own card to access all of our public lands with out fees as we already paid more than <1% of the US population.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
This is the final word on this thread. Straight from the U.S. Forest Service in Washington DC. In national Forest there are two types of campgrounds in our national forest. Some run by the forest service the other by a third party concessionaire. And if you do read in the America the beautiful passes it does say maybe honored. If you are in a national Forest and the campgrounds are run by the US Forest Service then you will be able to use your America the beautiful access card. If you are in a national forest then the US Forest Service district office allows the concessionaire the choice whether to accept it or not. So bottom line M Rose is correct when he says you should have the America the beautiful access but also carry the interagency pass from the US Forest Service in order to be completely covered in every US national Forest. And if I would have been carrying my paperwork showing my disability I could have gone into the district office here and received my interagency pass exactly the same way I received myAmerica the beautiful access pass.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just an FYI when traveling and you have an America the beautiful access card you need to check with the US Forest ranger district in the area you're going to be in to find out if they allow their vendors to discriminate against people with a disability.
Too much red tape for something that should be available to card holders. I call it B S and I'm sure you do too.!

Reactions: CG87

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No worries brother, I totally get it, and never took it personally. The system sucks... I don’t like it either... what sucks even more is not being told what your entitlements are as a DV. And when you do use your benefits; being looked down on because you are using them.
So @M Rose are you saying there are other cards that we have to apply for or buy ? I was given the impression when I obtained my America the beautiful card that it was good at all parks run by the federal gov. or state run parks.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So @M Rose are you saying there are other cards that we have to apply for or buy ? I was given the impression when I obtained my America the beautiful card that it was good at all parks run by the federal gov. or state run parks.
Jim, yes the card you have is good for all Federal Parks run by Federal Government... it’s not good for state parks or federal parks run by a third party. The only other access card you might be able to get is one for your state of residency. I.E if New Mexico has a pass for disabled, seniors, or veterans, you would be able to apply for it. But you can’t get one for Texas.
I don’t want to confuse you (or any one else) any further. I will be putting together a complete fact sheet about the passes for the disabled and seniors, with information on how to apply for the passes, where they are honored and where they are not honored, how to plan a trip around your passes, and finally how to find out if the park you want to go to is a Federal, state, or private third party park.
This fact sheet is going to take me a couple of weeks to put together as I gather information directly from the sources to redistribute.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jim, yes the card you have is good for all Federal Parks run by Federal Government... it’s not good for state parks or federal parks run by a third party. The only other access card you might be able to get is one for your state of residency. I.E if New Mexico has a pass for disabled, seniors, or veterans, you would be able to apply for it. But you can’t get one for Texas.
I don’t want to confuse you (or any one else) any further. I will be putting together a complete fact sheet about the passes for the disabled and seniors, with information on how to apply for the passes, where they are honored and where they are not honored, how to plan a trip around your passes, and finally how to find out if the park you want to go to is a Federal, state, or private third party park.
This fact sheet is going to take me a couple of weeks to put together as I gather information directly from the sources to redistribute.
Awfully kind of you to take the time. Thank you so much, I'm sure the info will be valued by the people who are on the road frequently and use those cards. I'll only be using disbursed locations and not need to worry about fees 99% of the time.

Reactions: M Rose

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Here ya go, tells you all you need to know. I also got a Nevada pass. I have yet to be turned down when I ask for discounts and such, I also have it registered on recreation.gov for when I reserve via that site.

Take note of the locations/types (in Blue, above my name) that honor the card.....

Attachments

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Here ya go, tells you all you need to know. I also got a Nevada pass. I have yet to be turned down when I ask for discounts and such, I also have it registered on recreation.gov for when I reserve via that site.
View attachment 169586

Take note of the locations/types (in Blue, above my name) that honor the card.....
@Jim SoG, the issue is the bold MAY entitle pass card holder to discounts... as I stated earlier on and as verified by @Boppa's Travels that if aCG is run by a third party, the pass is more than likely not honored. If the website has a reservation system where the access card or discount code can be applied, then generally the access card is accepted... my favorite 2 CG’s do not honor the card, one is a National Forest Service CG, and the other is a BLM CG, but both are run by the same private third party organization.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@Jim SoG, the issue is the bold MAY entitle pass card holder to discounts... as I stated earlier on and as verified by @Boppa's Travels that if aCG is run by a third party, the pass is more than likely not honored. If the website has a reservation system where the access card or discount code can be applied, then generally the access card is accepted... my favorite 2 CG’s do not honor the card, one is a National Forest Service CG, and the other is a BLM CG, but both are run by the same private third party organization.
Right the may discount is not entry fees and such........

Also I would see if the CG is listed on Rec.gov and go that way....

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Maybe a different perspective..?? If a park, whether it be state or federal doesn't except your pass as a disabled civilian or vet because they are a third party concession, make a u turn with the bird out the window and go somewhere else, hell even a KOA for the night...re plan and move out. I wouldn't give them a dime ever. I'm happy with the state of Utah, particularly the Moab area. BLM designated campgrounds are half off... last year anyway. But what's unique is, the park where the cool slick rock tracks are (Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge) is run by the County...But they accept the Access pass etc. I get the annual pass because it goes through the month, so even though Im there for 3 weeks in October this year...The pass is still good next year through the end of October. Point is...contribute to the ones that do right, ignore the others that don't. I have no patience for persian bazaar rules and bs in my AO!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Boppa's Travels - Thankyou for your service. I think you ran across someone who didn't know the rules or possibly those were concessionaire operated facilities. There are not separate passes for different Federal Agencies. I've camped in Lincoln NF and received a fifty percent discount using my Senior Pass but it was several years ago and was operated by USFS staff at that time. We also used it to get free entrance to Sitting Bull Falls Recreation area within that NF.

We were in Black Hills NF last year at the Horse Thief Lake campground which was operated by a concessionaire and they did honor the fifty percent discount on camping rates there but not at the horseback campground next door managed by the same host,

This might answer a few questions From the USGS site

Summary:
There are five types of passes that provide access to Federal Recreation Lands. All provide free entrance into Federal Recreation Lands where a fee is charged. Normally, this includes the pass holder and all passengers in a single vehicle occupied by the pass holder. The Annual Pass and the Access Pass will often qualify the pass holder for a discount on 'expanded amenity fees' such as camping. There are several other factors that come into play regarding discounts and free entrance ie. is the facility operated by a concessionaire or a federal agency, how many people are covered by the pass etc. Most of these are explained in the fine print from the website linked above.
  • Annual Pass ($80.00 - anyone 16 years and older can purchase)
  • Lifetime Senior Pass ($80.00 - valid for the lifetime of the pass owner; must be 62+ older, U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident)
  • Annual Senior Pass ($20 - valid for one year from month of purchase; must be 62+ older, U.S. citizen, or a permanent resident)
  • Access Pass (Free for lifetime with documentation of permanent disability, U.S. citizens and permanent residents)
  • Volunteer Pass (earned with 250+ hours of volunteer service in public lands)
There are six types of FEDERAL RECREATION LANDS
National Park Service (NPS)​
US Forest Service (USFS)​
Bureau of Land Management (BLM)​
Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation)​
US Army Corp of Engineers (USACE or COE​
Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS)​

Last edited:

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I have had othe card since 02 iirc they were called golden access then but if you read the rule for the card it states not allowed at contracted parks. Or you may have to pay half or more. I live in that area and you must have stumbled on to a contract hosted site. Like all thing withoverlanding research is necessary into the park and weather they honor the pass. I’m sorry you had such a bad experience in nm.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I bet if you show up to Yellowstone it will not be accepted but that’s a guess. I’m trying to get my daughter to bring her and my granddaughters to come back west and take the Motorhome and Jeep to the Grand Canyon and Moab, plus Yellowstone this spring because the closest. I been to the Grand Canyon is where i40 comes south of it Yellowstone I was east of in the late 90s when we left deven to great falls iirc and north to the Allan highway. We did go to custers memorial battlefield wrong name I’m sure. But I’d like to see gc and Yellowstone before I go.saw most of the East coast parks from va to fl plus tn. Saw the alamo , Vicksburg and other acro i 20 and i10.so those are my two bucket list parks/places to go as I don’t do ca or south of the bo or fly willing any more.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I bet if you show up to Yellowstone it will not be accepted but that’s a guess. I’m trying to get my daughter to bring her and my granddaughters to come back west and take the Motorhome and Jeep to the Grand Canyon and Moab, plus Yellowstone this spring because the closest. I been to the Grand Canyon is where i40 comes south of it Yellowstone I was east of in the late 90s when we left deven to great falls iirc and north to the Allan highway. We did go to custers memorial battlefield wrong name I’m sure. But I’d like to see gc and Yellowstone before I go.saw most of the East coast parks from va to fl plus tn. Saw the alamo , Vicksburg and other acro i 20 and i10.so those are my two bucket list parks/places to go as I don’t do ca or south of the bo or fly willing any more.
We were admitted to Yellowstone NP two years ago at no charge by showing my ID and Senior Pass. I've not been to all our National Parks but have made it to over half of them and have never had to pay an entrance fee since getting the geezer card some ten years back, We camped at Trail Creek, a USFS campground, in Caribou-Targhee NF and received the half price rate. This was a small campground with fairly private sites in a beautiful setting that we used as a base to visit both Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

If you're planning to visit the Grand Canyon, I'd suggest the North Rim unless you really like crowds. The campground there did honor the Senior Pass rate three years ago or you can camp in the adjoining Kaibab National Forest for free - lots of nice dispersed sites on well maintained USFS roads.

There are numerous BLM camping options around Moab. Unless something has changed recently, these all honor the half price camping rate for those with the Senior Pass. Horsethief is a nice, easily accessible BLM campground about half way between Arches and Cayonlands. Its dry camping with no access to water (available at no charge at several places in Moab) but the pit toilets were always spotless when we've visited. Be sure to get the jeep out on some of the trials and back roads there.

Geo Explore and Adventure

Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

I have the same card: National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass. it does list the following on the back of the card: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, US Army Corp of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, National Parks Service, and Bureau of Reclamation.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Thank you for the info. I’m sorry that park didn’t honor your pass but if it was this year then COVID might have been a factor also as I said NM state parks are closed to non NM’s right now and we’re all summer. The governor is taking it serious. Ha we been able to go to a movie since it started. Restaurants have been closed for in house dining then a few months later open at 25% capacity then closed for a month then reopened with more restrictions. Takeout and outside eating was allowed. Borders are basically closed with locking the doors you can cross them but supposed to self qJan time for two weeks, masks are required outside or anywhere in public unless your eating or drinking. Bars been closed most of the time if not all so I believe rving andoverlanding to be the best way to travel because if your smart the only possibility of contact with other people is the fuel pump and grocery shopping. If you able to minimize contact pay at the pump and order your groceries online and pick up at the door. No other way can you go from point a to point b without more contact. I know I’m preaching to the choir here you all know it and if it’s a multi day trip you are going to get takeout or eat in somewhere. But that’s better than sleeping in a strange room you don’t know was there before or how well it’s been cleaned. Something I never knew until my mother told me way back in 0 that motel and hotels. Don’t swap out the comforters unless requested between quests so alway ask for a clean one.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you for the info. I’m sorry that park didn’t honor your pass but if it was this year then COVID might have been a factor also as I said NM state parks are closed to non NM’s right now and we’re all summer...
Bupa and I worked through this issue. I called the park in question and they are a third party host and do not honor ANY discounts (Veterans, Good Sams Club, Kamp America, AAA, let alone the national park access passes. They do not have to honor the pass, and that is why the back of the card says “MAY”.
BTW 15 year Disabled Vet/ here that works with three VRSO’s putting events together for vets.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
that’s better than sleeping in a strange room you don’t know was there before or how well it’s been cleaned.
ive slept in some motel beds that make me itch right now just thinking about them...if i was traveling and using motels, i would definitely invest in one of these
nothing to do with the OP, but i guess if your card was denied and you ended up going to a motel...then this would be helpful