Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So according to this passage that I just cut and paste into the thread. It says the u.s. forest service honors my access card or at least supposed to.
It’s that MAY clause... you still need to call the ranger station and find out specifics... I know the access card works at Two-Color Camp Geound but not for Boulder Creek Camp Ground... they are less than 1/2 a mile a part, but Bulder is the nicer of the two parks and at the Boulder Creek Trail Head. So it depends.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
So according to this passage that I just cut and paste into the thread. It says the u.s. forest service honors my access card or at least supposed to.
It’s that MAY clause... you still need to call the ranger station and find out specifics... I know the access card works at Two-Color Camp Geound but not for Boulder Creek Camp Ground... they are less than 1/2 a mile a part, but Bulder is the nicer of the two parks and at the Boulder Creek Trail Head. So it depends.
Well thanks for the information. After I got my access card, I didn't think there was anything else I needed to do. But being from Texas, we don't have a lot of us Forest land we don't have a lot of government land period. So for those people in States but have a lot of forest, BLM and parks you guys deal with with this issue more than people from States that don't have a lot of government land. I never thought about having to carry my VA letters around with me or I could take those up there well maybe not cuz I don't think there opening the front door with all this going on right now so I guess that's a mute point.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
And thanks for the information.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
you may just have to have a copy/screenshot from the agency's website so you can politely inform employees who may not know all the rules and benefits. ive had to do this a few times with parking garages who are unaware that in NV 100% disabled vets are not subject to public parking fees. i have the state regulation screenshoted and saved in my phone's photo album.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Well to follow up I got a response from the US for service in Washington that told me that if the parks are being run by a third party then that third-party determines whether or not they accept an access pass or not.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Just an FYI when traveling and you have an America the beautiful access card you need to check with the US Forest ranger district in the area you're going to be in to find out if they allow their vendors to discriminate against people with a disability.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just an FYI when traveling and you have an America the beautiful access card you need to check with the US Forest ranger district in the area you're going to be in to find out if they allow their vendors to discriminate against people with a disability.
Isn’t that what was said early on in this conversation?

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have my access card and I've used it and I have always gotten my discount until I got to the Lincoln national Forest and they don't honor it.
I have the handicapped/golden age passport and it has never been accepted at any place other than a National Park for well over 10 years.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I've had no problems at the Carson national Forest or at the Santa Fe national Forest. And the biggest problem was the excuse that they gave me saying that that card was issued by the national Park service and not the forest service yet they will give discounts to other national Park cards just not the access card.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would like to apologize to the ob community for my rant and venting about a policy I have never run into. I also like to offer a personal apology to @M Rose for trying to help me out understanding the policy but my hard-headedness kept me from listening.
No worries brother, I totally get it, and never took it personally. The system sucks... I don’t like it either... what sucks even more is not being told what your entitlements are as a DV. And when you do use your benefits; being looked down on because you are using them.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I would like to apologize to the ob community for my rant and venting about a policy I have never run into. I also like to offer a personal apology to @M Rose for trying to help me out understanding the policy but my hard-headedness kept me from listening.
No worries brother, I totally get it, and never took it personally. The system sucks... I don’t like it either... what sucks even more is not being told what your entitlements are as a DV. And when you do use your benefits; being looked down on because you are using them.
Thanks for helping me out and got to point me in the right direction.

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

I am a veteran with a disability because of that I was able to get an access card. Access card allows me to get into national Parks and get half-price camping at national campgrounds. At least it's been that way up till now I showed up in the Lincoln national Forest needing to get a campground so I could get some stuff done that I can't do out in the field. I went to several of the forest service campgrounds and they denied my access card from my discount. I called the local Forest service district office and their response was because the national Park service we're the ones who issued the access cards not the national forest service access cards are not entitled to the discount here in the Lincoln national Forest. I want to know if anybody else that has an access card are being denied there discounts at u.s. facilities?
That is BS. I am a disabled Police Officer and I have a "America the Beautiful" Access Pass. The back clearly states is is FREE for US Fish and Wildlife, Forest Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, National Parks Service, Bureau of Reclamation. I would go up the chain and find out who told these idiots not to honor your pass.

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

you need to have three access cards... National Parks, Us Forrest Service, and the state parks pass for your state. They are all three separate entities... I do not know if BLM has an access card for camp grounds for disabled vets.
That's not true...should work at all Federal Lands. Most states will give free for disabled Vets but not LE.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Side note: The upper park in Moab where Fins and Things, and Hells Revenge are, excepts the Disabled National Park Access Pass, Huge savings on camping. Utah BLM accepts it as well. Just FYI