Ability to post via e-mail to "Request Evac < - > Support Evac" / setup and InReach Community or an official evac mail address

• HTML tutorial

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Hi,

i dont know if this is even possible but it would be very nice to post to the "Request Evac < - > Support Evac" Forum via E-Mail.
I have a Garmin InReach which can send and receive sms/e-mail. In areas where no cell communication is possible it would be very nice to send a message to the Community asking for help.

As a workaround i thought about sharing our InReach Addresses to notify other InReach users in the Community which could then post to the Forum or setup something like evac@overlandbound.com where the overlandbound team could then post all informations.

Regards

T-One

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Great idea! I will be buying a Garmin InReach shortly (Black Friday :-) and having the ability to contact someone "in the neighbourhood" who might be able to help out would be very valuable.

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
I'm all for it too! I have my InReach and see it as an essential life-line when we are way out. It would be great to see if anyone was able to help locally, and I'd be happy to help out in my area as well.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Great idea! I will be buying a Garmin InReach shortly (Black Friday :-) and having the ability to contact someone "in the neighbourhood" who might be able to help out would be very valuable.
I second John's question. do you know who's going to have them on sale for Black Friday or. cyber Monday?

Reactions: LBC

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I would be willing to monitor an email address and make a post (on behalf of someone else) in the distress section of Overland Bound, and possibly to any local 4x4 rescue/recovery groups. I set up an email address, 4x4recoveries@gmail.com. I set it up so that any emails will be forwarded to my personal email, which I am checking multiple times throughout the day and get notifications for on my cell phone. I will do my best to make posts and distribute information so that others can coordinate a rescue in a timely manner.
With that said, I do not want to guarantee anything, if there is ever a true emergency where a few hours could make a difference you should contact a trusted family member directly or hit that SOS button. I'm located on the East Coast of the US, so expect me to be offline from 11PM-8AM EST.

I believe that an email sent through an InReach will give the GPS coordinates automatically, but it would be helpful to get the following information as well;
1. The type of emergency (is your vehicle stuck? out of gas? broken down?).
2. The type of vehicle you are in (I'm in a 1996 Geo Metro).
3. Any landmarks or other information that could help with finding you (I took USFS road #xxx in and then got stuck near the intersection with USFS road #xxx).
4. Any sort of special equipment that will be needed to help you (I'll need a spare tire, and we'll need a winch to unstuck me).
5. Anything else that it would be good for your rescuers to know.

I can always send back messages and ask additional questions, or let them know the status of anyone coming to help. I hope that this will be able to help some people, even if it's not directly through the Overland Bound system.

If anyone wants to send a test email via their InReach we can see if it will work. I'd send myself one but it's late and cold out, lol.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am asking for OB to provide an email and link it to the OB Distress thread. Will post info and outcome.......

Reactions: er waddell

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok HQ is delving into seeing about the ability to do it directly into the thread.....

Will keep updating as I hear them.

Great idea!

Jim