A round trip through Europe after the several Lock downs.

• HTML tutorial

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

As all our trips are cancelled for this year, which means, no Spain, no, France, no Morocco this year. At least all the planned trips are off.
What I would like to do, as soon as it is possible, is the following;

I like to make a roundtrip through Mid Europe.
The Netherlands
Belgium
Luxemburg
France
Switzerland
Austria
Germany
And back to the Netherlands.

Again, this is after the lockdowns.
Secondly, this will be still the keep a distance trip.

So, what do I think which could be possible?
I think visiting some small campsites and meet up with people.
Drive some tracks in the Netherlands, France and maybe Austria.
Depending on how we are driving through Germany, maybe some tracks there as well. (Luneburger Heide and Mecklenburg Vorpommern)
People join, and we drive up.

Questions are:
1. How many Rigs are ok to drive a certain stage?
2. Which places should we visit?
3. Who would like to come along?
4. What would you like to have from this trip?

What questions do you have? What do you think is possible.

And again, this all is after the Lockdowns. And it will be a rolling meet up with Overland Bound members instead of a big stationary event as Bad Kissingen or such.
If we keep it within the rules of engagement of this year, we can do this safe and still have fun by meeting up with old and new friends.

Please give some suggestions.

Thank you.

Robert

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Right now I am opened to anything, I am so deperate to go anyware that I am one step of going to camp in my village on the river.. :)
I think it is bit early to plan it until we will know better what the exit will look a like .
In Germany I saw an article on DW that they recommand you do you summer holiday inside Germany, otherwise you might face a quarantine period when you get back.
But yeah, in principle I am interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good idea, Robert!

Travelled a lot abroad and only for short trips up to four weeks in Europe, I have the idea to do an entire European trip since years.

I have still another trip planned for July/ Aug/ Sep but this might get cancelled. Therefore the last days the rough idea came to my mind to do this after Corona when Europe is again open to us, but not the farer away destinations. Just travelling to beautiful place I would like to see again or new places in Europe. When doing this I will be on the road for 3 up to 6 months or so.

So yes, I am open to this and interested. Of course this is very early to plan anything in detail, but: Let´s bring together all our ideas and be ready when we can go.

I suggest to focus on meeting other overlanders and OB members along the track. Beside visiting beautiful spots, see stunning nature and so on, this is one of the most important things while overlanding, I think: meeting people and get in touch, learn about different lifestyles, cultures and so on, you know what I mean.

More than five or six rigs are difficult to handle in a group for a longer trip from my experience. But this could be extened by not driving in a close convoy the whole day. Also we should consider that there might be small places to camp which are not feasible for bigger groups. But if we are more we could split the group. Coms are key then.

We could also visit some offroad training areas along the way. In Germany we have several of them and I know that there are also some places in France and Belgium.

Just ideas which came to my mind spontaneously... let´s bring all our ideas together!

Cheers, Bjoern

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I saw an article on DW.de that Germany is preparing an agreement with Austria to have a free circulation for tourists between the 2 of them after the strict quarantine will be eased.
Maybe some more countries will do this kind of thing.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Very good idea indeed!!! I'm getting sick from lock-down.
Making a trip You are very welcome to Poland, at least western part. I can organize some nice obstalces to go through... ;-)
I could also join the whole trip untill going with my my SYNCRO is ok with You... My Patrol is during small rebuild using lock-down for workshop repairs.
Regards from Szczecin

Reactions: El-Dracho

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Trail clean up is alwasy a good thing, we can include that.
Everybody is welcome for the whole trip. The only thing we need to consider are the amount of Rigs in a convoy and the places on a campsite.
Especially when the 1.5 mtr distance rules is still there. Which I think will last at least till there is a vaccin.
We just need to check all the campsites during the trip. As with more then three rigs doing bivouac in France and nighters in Germany is asking for trouble.
In Belgium, Luxemburg, is wild camping not allowed.
And I think we need to stick to the rules.

But for now Iam very happy a lot of people are happy to tag along. That makes it worth to organise it all togehter.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
... so today, the German Federal Foreign Office extended the general wordlwide travel warning to 14th of June. Let´s see what the next days will bring.

If we can do this trip later the year I am happy to join.

Stay safe,
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
My guess is that it will be september before things are a bit loosen up again.
... this is what I tink also. Let´s wait and see!

What do you think, Robert, does it make sense to start a list here, who is interested? Just to keep this information on hand once this thread is getting longer.
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi fellow travellers,

So what about this trip now when the restrictions get more and more lifted?

Cheers, Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Bjoern,

Well, think we are able to start that trip. Now I just need to fix my Rig and if there is money left, I can do it.
So, please be a bit patient, I hope to fix the Rig within a week or two.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Bjoern,

Well, think we are able to start that trip. Now I just need to fix my Rig and if there is money left, I can do it.
So, please be a bit patient, I hope to fix the Rig within a week or two.
Cool! What is broken? What do you need to fix?

Cheers, Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Jeep had an Overheating problem. Which was due a broken Waterpump, a failed viscous coupling for the fan and the electrical fan had a broken wire.
So, most of it is fixed, and I just need to buy a new viscous coupling and we are good again.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Bjoern,

Untill now, yes. We went for a trip to luxemburg and it went well. So happy again.

Next weekend we are doing a Border tour between Germany and the Netherlands. And after that my plan is still to do a trip around Europe, but unfortunally I will not go that far.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Bjoern,

Untill now, yes. We went for a trip to luxemburg and it went well. So happy again.

Next weekend we are doing a Border tour between Germany and the Netherlands. And after that my plan is still to do a trip around Europe, but unfortunally I will not go that far.
Hi!

"I will not go that far" means a trip but not like you intended before (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, back to the Netherlands)?

I think about going in August or September on a trip through some countries of Europe, have the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and southern England (Cornwall, Devon or so) in my mind... will post it here when it is more specifically planned - maybe someone likes to join then or meet up along te track.

Cheers, Bjoern