Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I ran into this Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro online, an interesting option for bigger families. Three rows, V-8, skidplate and a bunch of other off road additions.

What do you think?
I think it's interesting. Toyota has definitely gone full fledged into the off-road community with the Tacoma, 4Runner, and the Tundra. Now they're just expanding. The new Sequoia and then the TRD Off-Road RAV4. Overlanding and offroading are becoming big subjects and a lot of poeple want to get into it (or what to look like they do). It's just the new trend I guess. I think it's funny that Kia and Honda are trying their hand at off-road/overlanding vehicles. I feel like they are geared more towards the Instagramers and the wanna-be people who don't actually get out.

Toyota:
TRD Sequoia
TRD RAV4

Kia:
Telluride

Honda:
Passport

Ford:
Bronco

Chevy:
Blazer

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
It's based on the Tundra and the TRD Pro version of that does really well off road right out of the box.

I want to get back on a Toyota, but they need some upgrades from the 12 year old design they are using. Hopefully they will change the Tundra (& all others based on it) since the IIHS crash test gave them an unacceptable rating.

Other wants:
1) A V8 capable of over 20 MPG
2) A true locking differential

If that happens, I'll be in a Tundra TRD Pro again.

Pwrwgn1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Long Island, NY
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
DeMarco
Just purchased a 2020 Sequoia TRD Pro 2 weeks ago. I also have a 2019 tundra TRD pro that I love. To be totally honest I think I may sell my tundra since the sequoia pro is just an amazing all around rig. I have three kids and do a lot of water sports/fishing etc and find that the Sequoia can do it all and super comfy. I am
About to take my arb awning off of my lietner designs bed rack and put it on the TRD roof rack that’s on the sequoia pro as it is the same dia as the FJ rack and I have Gzilla brackets that are from that. Only thing I do not like is that they didn’t put an extended tank like the tundra has. Other then that it exceeded my expectations. Definitely take a good look at one (if you can find one) if you are in the market to buy a new overland family do it all rig.View attachment 118681

Last edited:
Reactions: Raven1402

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I had no idea they were making a Sequoia TRD Pro.

Well done Toyota, if I am ever driven to forsake Jeep, it will be to Toyota. I have owned 3 Rav4's and still own 1. Toyota builds a fine vehicle. If they would correct the few known deficiencies (mostly fuel mileage0 they would be pretty dominant .

Reactions: Pwrwgn1

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I also wasn't aware they were doing a TRD Pro on the Sequoia. Pretty cool.

-TJ

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

I want to get back on a Toyota, but they need some upgrades from the 12 year old design they are using.
This holds true for just about all their 4x4 models though. The bulk of the lineup is in need of an update, 4runner especially. It's crazy that a JL Wrangler is a quieter and smoother ride than a 4runner with far more creature comforts.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Most people doubt on the sequoia capabilities. It’s heavy, wide and long. I’m very please on my sequoia. It’s been driven hard. A little mod and you can do this.

B3688C58-D4B2-423D-85A7-D1BA37C91E16.jpeg

Reactions: Pwrwgn1

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I think it's another Toyota rip off marketing scheme like all the other PRO appearance packages. Just get the regular Sequoia and build it if that is the foundation you want to go with.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I think it's another Toyota rip off marketing scheme like all the other PRO appearance packages. Just get the regular Sequoia and build it if that is the foundation you want to go with.
Well, for one, if you think that the pro packages are "appearance" packages, you are mistaken.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Well, for one, if you think that the pro packages are "appearance" packages, you are mistaken.
Wrong. This is always a hot button item on forums and I really don't understand why this triggers some people so much?? Not trying to trigger anyone here but facts are facts... The PRO packages are essentially appearance packages with the exception of the shocks...which is still not the best the aftermarket offers despite the name on the shocks. The PRO package is installed at the port. The only thing the factory installs is the paint color and a special VIN.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
NOT WRONG. but I guess you know everything about it. It's skid plates, fox shocks (no matter how you slice it they are better than bilstein and other factory offerings), spring rates are different, and there are drivetrain differences as well. But hey....you knew all that right? That's all appearance stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Wallygator

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I had no idea they were making a Sequoia TRD Pro.

Well done Toyota, if I am ever driven to forsake Jeep, it will be to Toyota. I have owned 3 Rav4's and still own 1. Toyota builds a fine vehicle. If they would correct the few known deficiencies (mostly fuel mileage0 they would be pretty dominant .
Worldwide speaking ............ Toyota IS dominant. :)

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
NOT WRONG. but I guess you know everything about it. It's skid plates, fox shocks (no matter how you slice it they are better than bilstein and other factory offerings), spring rates are different, and there are drivetrain differences as well. But hey....you knew all that right? That's all appearance stuff.
Again, sorry to trigger you but you are essentially wrong. There are no driveline differences, but you knew that right??? I mentioned the shocks. The other models come with skid plates also. Aluminum vs steel. Not worth thousands of dollars. With the 4Runner(an probably all the models), as mentioned, the Offroad/Trail Edition is the same vehicle without all the appearance items and, as you and I mentioned, fancy shocks. You do realize that the Offroad/Trail Edition and the PRO are the same vehicle right??? Can build an offroad/Trail Edition 4Runner with superior aftermarket parts for thousands less than a stock PRO/appearance package model. Hell you can even pay to have the entire vehicle wrapped in any color you like after building it with better suspension, skids, sliders, tires, rims, etc, etc, and still be cheaper than a stock PRO/appearance package.

The exception is if you are not going to mod the vehicle, it may be better to buy the PRO cuz resale is better after two years and you didn't just waste money on things like suspension that you are going to replace anyway with better aftermarket stuff. If you are going to build the vehicle, buy the Offroad/Trail Edition.

Read....The 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro Is an Off-Road Behemoth

Nice looking appearance package but again, not worth it when it's the same as the standard vehicle that can be had for way less money. Unless you don't build it and plan to sell after two years. :blush:

The SR5 Sequoia with the premium package lists for about $53,000. In that article they said the price point for the TRD PRO sequoia is going to be around the mid-$60's. You will be lucky to initially get MSRP on the PRO appearance package while you may get under MSRP on an SR5 with the premium package. No way a fancy color, rims, an aluminum skid plate, TRD stitched seats, fancy grill, better shocks, and a factory roof rack is worth well over $10,000. But obviously, YMMV. Some people will pay anything for the look and Toyota knows that obviously.

Last edited:

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

There is no wrong on either paying a brand new Sequoia TRD pro or buy a SR5 Sequoia & build it up using 3rd party parts. Overall, it's all about personal preference. I will not try to judge each other.

All I can say Sequoia is a vehicle which many refer as soccer mom SUV. Prop to toyota recognized that Sequoia is much more capable. The arrival of Sequoia TRD pro actually awesome. This will boost more manufacturer to release product to support the vehicle. Currently, the aftermarket support for this rig is very limited. We need more aftermarket support.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yes! When people waste money it triggers me. I guess I shouldn't care. Thanks for reminding me. :wink:
its all good! if people can't be passionate about things, what's the point, right?

i get triggered every month when i get the wife's credit card statement...:rage:

Reactions: Wallygator