Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Does that have a grow room? How do you power the ultraviolet lights and water pump? Battery bank? Solar? Nice ride!
58C30EBE-D15A-4768-AECB-550FB7ACFDC7.jpegE8E36DE7-C901-462E-A101-C13AE9984A9D.jpeg94D02F5B-1298-48A3-A8FD-CAE3FD1617AF.jpeg4B68BF1C-AE15-4158-BCE3-99631A119FBF.jpegAB0B6758-E29D-4EA9-9F1E-86C7E20AD021.jpeg1B162000-C585-4A69-9248-106E66877DA5.jpeg
All that and the bag of chips. We are working on a mobile unit that will be able to provide longevity to what ever you want to keep a live and fresh for a trip. Mix greens, herbs, and all that good stuff. It will compose of 5 gallon tank and a 24 housing units for transport.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i like the Aquaponics rig. the hood air scoop can catch and funnel bugs for the fish to eat in the secondary gas tank which is actually an aquarium and the fish poop feeds the plants onboard. fresh fish and veggies even in the middle of the desert. add some seaweed and a bag of short grain gmo rice and you have a rolling sushi bar.... :grin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpol and Wallygator

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

i like the Aquaponics rig. the hood air scoop can catch and funnel bugs for the fish to eat in the secondary gas tank which is actually an aquarium and the fish poop feeds the plants onboard. fresh fish and veggies even in the middle of the desert. add some seaweed and a bag of short grain gmo rice and you have a rolling sushi bar.... :grin:
I just pick them off the bumper

Back Road Geezer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

My 2 cents about Toyota Sequoias. I drive a 2016 SR5 with minor mods - 2 inch lift, upgraded suspension, and rock sliders. this is my second Sequoia. My first was a 2004, also an SR5 with similar mods. First thought - Right out of the showroom the Toyota Sequoia 4wd is an awesome and under-rated back-country vehicle. Okay, it's not a rock hopper but I've have consistently been able to get myself, and my family to, and out of, incredibly remote and difficult places. It is a powerful and reliable beast that has never failed me. Yes, it's awfully thirsty, it's wheelbase is a bit long for some trails, and the cockpit is not very modern, but it hauls a big load, has a great highway ride, and is dream to drive. Also, I've never had a bolt come loose or piece of plastic fall off.

All of that said, I do have some minor regrets about changing from 1st gen (2004) to 2nd gen (2016). First, in what seems like a weight saving move (fuel efficiency I guess) the body steel seems thinner. I can hear the difference when I close the doors - they sound tinnier. It's a small thing but it bugs me. Some skid plates were also left off as well. Next, in a effort to make the Limited model seem like it was worth more money than the SR, Toyota removed a few things that had been standard on the 1st gen SR. Most notably, a powered front passenger seat. Believe me, I hear about it every time my wife rides in the car. My next gripe is that the 4x4 shift is no longer mechanical, I'm not sure why I hate that it is a knob on the dash (it has not failed me) but I prefer feeling that solid shift when I go into 4wd.

Lastly, and most important to me, is the configuration of the 3rd row seats. In the 1st gen the seats were attached directly to the cargo deck. They were easily removed and the deck was flat. Sure the 3rd row didn't have great legroom but the only critters who occasionally rode back there were my smallest children, and they didn't care. In this new iteration (2nd gen) the seats are permanently mounted and fold down. Yes, better passenger comfort, but when folded down the deck is not flat (the thickness of the folded seats) and it's got gaps where the seats are folded. You cannot easily slide things like camping boxes forward, and being higher in the front, gear wants to slide out when the gate is open.
I solved this problem by removing the 3rd row seats altogether, and built a carpeted cargo deck with below deck storage (with hatches) where the seats had been. Who needs 3rd row seating in a camping vehicle anyhow? Fewer passengers equals more gear.

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. As for the previous 2020 TRD kerfuffle... my lips are sealed.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The TRD Pro Sequoia is definitely cool.

However, as a happy owner of a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro, I am fully aware I paid an extra $5000 off the showroom for brown paint. I did it for her, of course :P .